Do you read?

Luke_W

25 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Nope, I've never read any of his stuff, I've always wanted to but I wouldn't know where to start and haven't ever really looked into it

I own it, and the first time I tried to read it, I just couldn't get past all the way it had been written, so I put it down. I tried a few months later, and ended up finishing it. Decent read. 

41 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I might have to add it to the list then.

What have you got lined up after Dracula then, have you got anything in mind?

I will probably stick to the horror genre until I'm properly into reading again. Once I've got the bug, then I shall broaden my horizon. Thinking of reading Rosemary's Baby, next . 

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I will probably stick to the horror genre until I'm properly into reading again. Once I've got the bug, then I shall broaden my horizon. Thinking of reading Rosemary's Baby, next . 

Ruge, if you want a decent horror/chiller try reading Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box.

Its about an ageing rock star who is obsessed with the occult, who buys a 'ghost' from an online auction. I won't spoil the reset of the plot by its very chilling and a great yarn. 

Joe hill is the son of Stephen king (who's not bad either!) and also written Horns, Nos4R2 and The Fireman, all of which are very good. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

33670466.jpg

After reading Son of the Endless night a few weeks back it got me to realising how much I used to love this genre, this takes a look through them, I'm hoping it'll help me unearth a few cheap gems on Amazon.

I got this excellent book for Christmas, and am embarking on a similar project!

1 hour ago, Chap of Steel said:

I got this excellent book for Christmas, and am embarking on a similar project!

Yeah it looks quite entertaining doesn' it, I'm looking forward to reading what he has to say about James Herbert, I spotted that he has a full page on his books.

Old Jimmie Herbert was my favourite author as a kid.

If you are going to be doing the same as me then get Son of the Endless Night by John Farris, it's the perfect example of this genre.

Right, using the arbitary break up of time, I'm going to try a yearly book challenge to help focus me on my collection, and make inroads into the increasing number of "new, borrowed, bought and not yet read." I've got books from a previous christmas I still haven't read yet :( Damn you Netflix. Target 35.

And  I am absolutely counting books I'm currently reading that I started last year:

Robert Webb's memoir: How Not To Be A Boy - which is touching, and funny

and

Thomas Mann's: The Buddenbrooks - which at the least for a translation of a turn of the century "grand novel" is surprisingly readable, though you forgot how those books tend to love the addition of obsessive details as it plods along, but I can dive into it for 15-20 pages at a time quite happily. Suspect I'll have read 3 or 4 others before I get through this one though.

Finished Dante's Inferno today, it was so much easier to read the second time round and I think it'll be even easier the third time round (probably this time next year)

anyways I started this today, I got through the first 20 pages or so but wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into so I'm going to start it again later on.

30640774.jpg

Bram Stoker Award Winners Bruce Boston and Alessandro Manzetti combine their poetic and narrative talents in a poetry novella that blends the genres of horror, surrealism, crime, and noir. Set in a large America city, Sacrificial Nights follows the lives of some of those who inhabit its late-night streets: prostitutes, pimps, a thief, an arsonist, a police detective, a psychotic killer, and more. Their tales and the tale of the city itself are richly complemented by British artist Ben Baldwin’s striking illustrations. This is a dark read with some explicit graphic content.

“Original, intelligent and exquisitely rendered, Sacrificial Nights is an absolute tour de force, a richly layered Chinese Box of sorts, where each part is as important as the whole. In a world of cookie-cutter plots and tired poetry, Sacrificial Nights is a shot of cool night air, shadowy, dangerous, and addictive as sin.” —Greg F. Gifune, author of The Bleeding Season

"When a book is both lucid and hallucinogenic, the effect can be shocking, luminous … transgressive. The collision of talents in this extraordinary work practically establishes a new genre – macabre noir." —Robert Dunbar, author of Willy

“Populated by denizens who straddle the line between salvation and damnation, Sacrificial Nightsreads like a flashlight exploration of the darkness lurking behind closed doors and down blind alleys. Boston and Manzetti deftly navigate the shadows where human monsters dwell.” —Michael McBride, author of Subterrestrial

From what I've seen its part short stories and part poetry, they all intermingle and overlap each other, there was a lot going on when I started it earlier so I'm going to go again and pay a bit more attention.

On 29/12/2017 at 11:37, mjmooney said:

Just started this. 

820533.jpg

I really like that trilogy, especially the third one Dictator.  I've never really learnt much about the Romans since primary school and the way he tells the story of Caesar and Augustus and Cicero's role is great.  Robert Harris is one of my favourite authors in general.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I really like that trilogy, especially the third one Dictator.  I've never really learnt much about the Romans since primary school and the way he tells the story of Caesar and Augustus and Cicero's role is great.  Robert Harris is one of my favourite authors in general.

TBH I'm struggling with it a bit. Which is odd, because I'm a history buff, and it's well paced and everything. I think it may that it's basically a political novel, which I find a bit dull. Touch and go as to whether I abandon it. 

23 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

@mjmooney there's a good documentary on YouTube about crime fiction and the Third Reich. 

Focuses mostly on Kerr and the bloke who wrote Babylon Berlin. It was a very good watch.

Cheers, I'll check that out. Not a big fan of Kerr, but I do like others in that genre (Alan Furst, David Downing, etc.) 

41 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

@mjmooney there's a good documentary on YouTube about crime fiction and the Third Reich. 

Focuses mostly on Kerr and the bloke who wrote Babylon Berlin. It was a very good watch.

went to YT to bookmark for another day. The first comment under the video :o:blink:

Â