Backroom Staff

sir_gary_cahill

10 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It sounds like we have lost a member of the backroom staff to Deano at Norwich. I see in the above posts by @sne and @useless that he was only just promoted by Villa, so it seems a bit odd?

Bramley appointed by Norwich

Dean Smith has added Aston Villa's Liam Bramley to his coaching team as Norwich City confirm other changes in staff at the club.

Bramley was elite development coach at Aston Villa having been promoted from under-18s manager by Smith before he departed the Midlands club in November and has joined the Canaries as a first-team coach. 

He will be tasked with supporting Smith and assistant Craig Shakespeare in preparing the first team for Premier League matches, being an active part of training sessions and supporting the analysis department. 

Not that odd. He's been offered a promotion moving from development coach at Villa to first team coach.

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Not that odd. He's been offered a promotion moving from development coach at Villa to first team coach.

I just meant the timing of it all, it is not often someone gets promoted then leaves within a couple of weeks. I had never heard of him before two weeks ago, so I can't say I am overly bothered by it all, and I fully understand why Bramley would jump at the chance to take on the better role and the possible career trajectory that offers.

Seems like a coach we rated, gave him a promotion to keep him happy before he started to get noticed elsewhere..

Not much you can do when the people working with him here move on and recognise there is an opportunity for them to move for him whilst he's still in that in-between part of his career where he isn't developed enough to take into the first team coaching set up here but also ambitious enough to pursue it.

A shame but not the be all and end all. Norwich taking youth players on the periphery of making the squad here but not setting the world alight enough to force their way in would probably be the biggest risk. But as long as they can pay for them or give them game time on loan, then that probably works in our favour too.

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Seems like a coach we rated, gave him a promotion to keep him happy before he started to get noticed elsewhere..

Not much you can do when the people working with him here move on and recognise there is an opportunity for them to move for him whilst he's still in that in-between part of his career where he isn't developed enough to take into the first team coaching set up here but also ambitious enough to pursue it.

A shame but not the be all and end all. Norwich taking youth players on the periphery of making the squad here but not setting the world alight enough to force their way in would probably be the biggest risk. But as long as they can pay for them or give them game time on loan, then that probably works in our favour too.

You would hope the club would put clauses into staff contracts that they can not poach club employees for a certain period of time. 

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

You would hope the club would put clauses into staff contracts that they can not poach club employees for a certain period of time. 

That’s tricky and wouldn’t stand up in court.  Smith would just say nothing to do with him what some other department at his new club do with employing staff.

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That’s tricky and wouldn’t stand up in court.  Smith would just say nothing to do with him what some other department at his new club do with employing staff.

It would, as they do it all the time in private sector businesses - under the term 'restrictive covenant'. Things like poaching clients/employees are common examples of such restrictions. Granted they are not watertight, but there are still precedents to support the case. 

34 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It would, as they do it all the time in private sector businesses - under the term 'restrictive covenant'. Things like poaching clients/employees are common examples of such restrictions. Granted they are not watertight, but there are still precedents to support the case. 

How does that work if Webber hires him? We sacked Smith, so at no point have we had an agreement with Norwich and, in this instance, I don't see how the Norwich board could possibly be held to the (hypothesised) terms of someone else's contract.

I recently left a job within a year and, as per the terms of my contract, paid back my sign on bonus. I have a couple of friends who have been in similar situations, said no and never been chased for it. I appreciate that's largely going to be because it's not worth the time and money to fight, but I don't see why this would be any different for a football club. Admittedly if it was a more key member of staff maybe they would pursue it.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

On 18/01/2022 at 20:00, Sam-AVFC said:

How does that work if Webber hires him? We sacked Smith, so at no point have we had an agreement with Norwich and, in this instance, I don't see how the Norwich board could possibly be held to the (hypothesised) terms of someone else's contract.

I recently left a job within a year and, as per the terms of my contract, paid back my sign on bonus. I have a couple of friends who have been in similar situations, said no and never been chased for it. I appreciate that's largely going to be because it's not worth the time and money to fight, but I don't see why this would be any different for a football club. Admittedly if it was a more key member of staff maybe they would pursue it.

I'm not a lawyer so can't answer your question. All I know is that these covenants exist, so potentially one could have been put into Dean's contract if they felt necessary. I'm assuming they would cover the kind of scenario you mention and hold Smith to account, rather than Norwich. 

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Dale said:

What does this role do? 

Sounds like wellbeing, so mental health etc 

The reference to young players might suggest he helps them with the pressure and to be sensible with the money and maybe even given the events of other players within the league, even players we had last year he guides them on how not to be a dickhead 

Edited by villa4europe

On 24/01/2022 at 15:35, Clarry said:

I came here expecting to see the club had been wowed so much by the Bentancur thread, that they'd recruited some new scouts from it. 

Problem is, they think everyone is shit. 

Â