Match Thread: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Just now, a m ole said:

VAR should at the very least be bringing consistency. Can’t even do that. Useless.

Yeah I start to think, 'oh well, it'll even itself out by the end of the season' and then think, hang on, it literally shouldnt be like that at all, you should get exactly what you deserve.  Can't believe how boned we've been this season already.  Takes the piss.

2 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I swear VAR* has something against us. 

*Decision makers.

Or the people behind these systems do, it's as almost as if there's a conspiracy to keep us down and out so we drop back down, who knows ay.

I think on balance we've done well out of the officials so far today.

• First goal, they missed a clear foul by Targett, which would have been a free kick in a more dangerous spot. So can't really complain about that (except for the Hourihane booking, which was ludicrous)
  • Aaron Mooy double yellow is definitely fair but a lot of refs would have found a way of avoiding that.
  • Hourihane VAR decision is a joke.

So on balance, I reckon maybe we'd have been looking at 1-1 or 2-1 with 11v11 with another ref. Instead it's 1-1 with 11v10. I'll take that into the second half.

I don't think we'll make the same mistakes as we did against Arsenal and West Ham. Good to have this situation pop up so soon after actually, as those lessons will be fresh in the players minds.

I'm confident we'll do well here. I would possibly look at subbing Hourihane off as he's on a yellow and is prone to silly fouls.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Or the people behind these systems do, it's as almost as if there's a conspiracy to keep us down and out so we drop back down, who knows ay.

Its getting to a point you have to question peoples agendas. They look for any excuse to disallow a goal for us.

We're absolutely blessed that Brighton went down to 10, we were appalling beforehand. VAR allowing we've the chance to make the most of it and need to keep the momentum going in the second half.

• Like 2