• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Trézéguet (Hourihane 63)
    • Luiz (El Ghazi 75)
    • Davis (Wesley 75)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/19 at 22:59

What a game! Terrible and brilliant at the same time. We were flat, gave them far too much time on the ball and never reallY looked like being able to break down their 10 men. In fact, at times, they looked like they had the extra man, we just gave them time and space. 

Grealish was out of this world, pressed, chased, harried, won the ball, ran at them, scored the equaliser and set up the winner. The complete performance. 

Not sure what everyone else’s excuse was, international hangover maybe, or maybe a hangover from McGinn’s birthday celebrations. 

However, overall, the key for today was to get three points, which we did - eventually. Vital when you take into consideration the next two opponents. 

Amazing feeling, when you think it’s all over, to get the winner. Great finish from Targett too - made up for the rest of his performance. 

UTV

Extremely worrying how very easily Brighton played through us and dominated the ball with 11 men. 

Still extremely worrying how they played through us with 10 men.

Thank god we got the goal in the end.  We missed some sitters but then again even with 10 men, so did they. 

VAR can go shove a rugby ball up it's arse. 

• Like 2

So relieved and happy we won that. Brighton looked much better 11 v 11 which is worrying, but the points is what matter. We couldn't get wins against 10 men Arsenal and West Ham, so if we'd done the same today against a worse team than those two it would have been so frustrating. We are creating a lot over the 90 minutes but also conceding a lot of chances, they need to be working on that because against a side that can finish better than Brighton we'd have been in trouble today.

Really important we won today with some really tough fixtures coming up. At least we go into City next weekend with a bit of momentum and sit in a very nice 11th place!

**** VAR.

Totally killed the atmosphere, even though it had about the minimum impact due to scoring straight after. I went to walk out but got talked round thankfully. But I didn't celebrate goal two at all. Obviously went mad for the last second goal but still with the 'oh no this won't count' going through my mind. Complete ruiner. Also, if we're being picky, their goal..  why did that stand? It was not a free kick. The goal came from that phase. Surely the resulting free kick is a phase of the goal. Anyway, complete farce as usual.

Nice for us to get a win we didn't really deserve though. They looked like they had the extra man at 11v11, and it only looked even when they went a man down. They still went through our lines far too easily and always looked dangerous on the break while we were too predictable with our passing. Only Grealish was making passes which weren't completely telegraphed. But we have a manager that will see that too. It's good to have a game we can learn from whole also getting three points. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Extremely worrying how very easily Brighton played through us and dominated the ball with 11 men. 

It's because of how we are set up.

Nakamba were our only midfielder in that game. Hourihane and McGinn were both strikers.

Never in doubt...

But seriously, nothing quite beats a last minute winner does it?! 

Harsh on Brighton, I think a point was a fair result, they cut through us quite a few times, in both halves, which was quite worrying and I feel we had too many players a bit off their game this afternoon - we will play much better and lose games this season.

Quickly running through the team, Heaton solid, both full backs hit and miss, centre halves never really came to terms with Maupay dropping off into space and they had too many chances for my liking; you could really see a Man City or Liverpool battering us if we perform to a similar standard. Our midfield shape was a bit all over the place, we never got to grips with our closing down (got better in second half with the extra man advantage) but Stephens was dropping deep and dictating play, we need to hunt in packs but we were doing it as individuals. Hourihane went missing (goal aside, sorry one-goal- yes **** you VAR), McGinn wasn't is usual self, El Ghazi weakest of the lot. Wesley needs to do more for sure. The subs I think contributed ok, two of them could have been match winners themselves. 

On to VAR - Well what can we say that hasn't already been said?! I personally detest it - it's killing football for me and the whole celebrations of a 'goal'! Scrap it, please.

Finally, last word on the one that deserves it the most... JACK GREALISH... absolutely different class today, one goal one assist, gave the ball away twice at most, one of them occasions he ran 60 yards into his own box to win it back. Glides past players nonchalantly, it was like watching him in the Championship all over again, you can see that he's adjusting to life in the Premier League like we all know he could. All this in front of the England manager too, without doubt will be in the next England squad and deservedly so and when he gets his chance he will slot in with ease, well done Jack carried us today 👏

• Like 4

I am willing to give SJM a free pass today. The guy is immense but is also human. Even he cannot play 100% flat out every minute. We're just so used to him playing THAT well we notice a sub par (for him) performance more than for other players. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I am willing to give SJM a free pass today. The guy is immense but is also human. Even he cannot play 100% flat out every minute. We're just so used to him playing THAT well we notice a sub par (for him) performance more than for other players. 

I though Nakamba was worse than John......there was a few flat performances, today.....fortunately Jack played like he had a pin in his arse.

a proper " Jack in the Box"

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I actually gave Smith average because of how poor we were defensively.

funny you say that, I thought Engels struggled......not with mistakes, just flat and no dominant play.....far too passive for me.

44 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Funniest thing was when the commentator was counting down the stoppage time, saying we already played the 4 minutes when we only played 3 :lol:

Then he realized his error and coolly played it off like he didn't.

It was when he'd been saying the whistle will blow as soon as the ball is cleared after the corner and had been non stop talking about it for nearly a minute when he went "well, 4 minutes was indicated and now we've played......3 and a half" then just went silent for a few seconds. You could hear the realisation hit him and it was hilarious

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

funny you say that, I thought Engels struggled......not with mistakes, just flat and no dominant play.....far too passive for me.

I didn't refer only to the back 4.

I thought as a team we were poor defensively.

Poor Nakamba. Only  one of our midfielders who actually played in midfield. McGinn and Hourihane were strikers today.

El Ghazi, Grealish, Targett and Guilbert all bombing forward. It leaves us extremely exposed at the back.

On another day Brighton could have scored 3 or 4

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

Â