• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Trézéguet (Hourihane 63)
    • Luiz (El Ghazi 75)
    • Davis (Wesley 75)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/19 at 22:59

I just want to lay down and cry tears of relief...  Villa, why do you always do this to me???

Another terrible refereeing performance...  but we were awful in the 2nd half, to the point which if we had lost that game it was entirely our squad's fault...  No sense of urgency or drive after the subs came on.  Nobody wanted the ball except for Grealish and thank McGrath he pulled that out of his hat...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

anyone got a vid to the grealish goal?

Would like to help but a quick search didn't return much.

Didn't feel like watching the match?

Highlights will pop up shortly I'm sure.

Scream of delite when targett smacked that in.

Frustrating to watch at times as out cm without the ball seemed to consist of just marvellous. By passing us with ease tine after time.

We missed CH when he went off and typically had the best free kick opportunities.

El ghazi wasnt really on it today and McGinn looked lost at times on the right.

We had several players not play great today, targett being one also but we managed to get the win, 3 points is there now. Var cant take that away !

And without jumping on the anti var bandwagon... we are getting bummed by it most games.

Clear 2nd yellow for Montoya not given and goal ruled out to add to the list.

Well done boys and despite jack not being in the position he should have for parts of the game until ordered back there by smith, he was a superstar. 

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Would like to help but a quick search didn't return much.

Didn't feel like watching the match?

Highlights will pop up shortly I'm sure.

was it on sky?

Spending time with kids, also i get nervous watching close games with Villa involved.....swear i have a negative impact on the team when i watch :P

• Like 1

Grealish today established himself as the best player in the PL outside the top 6 IMO. Won an extraordinary number of free kicks today, and got Mooy sent off, which changed the game. Was involved in almost everything we did, and kept it going for 94 mins.

• Heaton - very good today
  • Guilbert - I think he sells himself too easily defensively, but his relentless running is always well received
  • Engels - decent enough performance
  • Mings - very good performance, although possibly at fault for Brighton's goal? Need to re-watch.
  • Targett - a couple of times looked dodgy defensively, but was very good going forward (minus a few underhit crosses), and that goal was just 🍆💦
  • Nakamba - another solid performance in a game where he didn't have a lot to do, but kept the ball moving quickly to the more creative players
  • McGinn - not one of his best games, but the diagonal pass to Grealish for Targett's goal was casually excellent
  • Hourihane - typically blew hot and cold, with an unreal finish for the disallowed goal; probably taken off because of a VERY unfair yellow card
  • El Ghazi - dog shit
  • Wesley - an okay performance - nothing obvious to complain about, but equally he didn't look like scoring
  • Trezeguet - played well when he came on against tired legs
  • Davis - there was one passage of play in the box where he brought a high ball down and shrugged off three defenders that looked clear PL quality, but he needs to do it more consistently; I also think he's too much of a like-for-like swap for Wesley
  • Douglas - looked very good, nearly scored a very tasty winner, and is unlucky not to be starting

Manager's performance: mostly okay I think. The subs all worked and came at roughly the right time, although I might have had Kodj on the bench? We need to establish what went wrong with that Brighton goal, because it looked like bad basics on set pieces to me. Then again our defending on most other set pieces was fine, so maybe just a player error.

Referee's performance: not as bad as some people making out

VAR performance: bunch of absolute **** words removed

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

what an angle to score from, blimey, i swear the keeper would have saved that if he wasnt almost on his knees?!!?!?!?

Lucky the ref didnt pull it back for a dive. I think he would have if he hadn't screwed us over in the first half.

• Like 1

Pretty turgid stuff until the winner. Players not taking responsibility, lacking energy and relying on Jack. For his part, Jack was immense. His touch and composure are outstanding. 

Midfield was suspect today - that allowed Brighton to cut through us. McGinn looked spent. Marvellous did his job but allowed a lot of space for the opposition while he came forward. The intro of Douglas allowed us to play the double pivote and it gave us a better platform from which to attack. Think Dean will need to use this in the coming matches or we’ll get murdered.

Davis was shaky when he came in but I thought he grew into it. Looked more dynamic than Wes by the end. 

Despite all of the negatives, however, we dug in and kept going. You can see there’s a team spirit there too. I hope this gives us confidence moving forward into some tough matches. 

• Like 3

Ecstatic to get the win, especially in such dramatic fashion, but we really need to be taking control of matches at home. Brighton were all over us until the red and had too easy a time of it in the second. We just aren't winning enough battles, second balls, etc and can be a bit too lax and sloppy at times. Did better eventually, calmed it down and held on, but still never felt like bossing it. Think Douglas Luiz may need to start instead of Hourihane just for more presence and composure, and El Ghazi may need to start on the bench again to motivate him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Well that was jammy as f.

On the one hand we certainly didn't deserve to get a win after the way we played.

But on the other hand we did since the ref and VAR screwed us over with that disallowed goal.

Move on thank McGrath and learn from this I guess?

Potter had the edge on Smith today but Aaron Mooy saved us.

Grealish is the difference, just a level above everyone else.

Some of our other usual stand out players had below average or poor games today, Mings, McGinn, Nakamba and others never got going.

Ref had a stinker.

End of the day it's 3 points thou so cheers everyone.

The point you make about our better players being below par today is very important. We’re someway off the finished article, some players still settling in and some players possibly a little below, at the moment anyway, PL standard. So our better players have to make a big impact to get us what we need from games, which almost didn’t happen today. Some good players were average/poor and some average players just poor. The clear exception was Jack, who you could claim won us the game today. 

These types of performances are going to be fairly regular until we increase the quality of the squad as a whole, so that we’re less dependent on a handful, or fingerfull today, of players. 

Â