January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Doucoure, Deeney, Delefeou and probably Pererya would all improve our 11. Experienced top level players.

I fully expect them to finish above us now. They have the momentum with half the season still to play.

We are in massive trouble.

Wow I thought I was depressed tonight but you’re on a different level.  

Most of Watford's team would improve us, that's not hyperbole this time last season with much the same players they were battling for a Europa league place, were about to reach an FA cup final, and people were having debates as to who was the better manager out of Garcia and Nuno, we've just been incredibly lucky that for some reason they've had such a poor first half to the season, because their players are comfortably good enough for mid-table, I think we just have to hope that whatever was afflicting their performances before Pearson arrived returns and their form drops of again. As for us I think we need four or five signings, a defender, a defensive midfieler, a box-to-box midfielder to replace McGinn, a winger and a centre-forward.

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s not nonsense, we are 1 point from safety not adrift.  

We are struggling at the moment but only halfway through the season.  

Today was incredibly bad and the last few games have been bad but again we are only 1 point from safety.  

Southampton recently got spanked 9-0 by Leicester but have hit a bit of form and climbed out of the bottom three.  We are only 1 point from safety.  

We have transfer window in a few days which the club could make some moves and half a season left.  

Things are grim tonight but nothing we don’t have plenty of time to resolve.

we need to resolve or we will be in massive trouble in a couple of months time but it’s still in our own hands

I was actually more despondent in two of the Lambert seasons (15-16 pretty much everyone know from October we were going down). Thought we were down for sure in 12/13 around this time and then in 14/15 when we finally sacked Lambert. Was pleasantly surprised we stayed up in both seasons but it only delayed the inevitable.

I'm more disappointed this time. Disappointed we feel into the same trap as in summer 2015 thinking spending 100m on largely unproven players and neglecting the final third was enough. Disappointed that all the momentum we grew in final months of last season with the fans reconnecting with the club could go to waste.

I don't want to go down but can see the way the wind is blowing. We have used up most of our winnable home games already and given how bad we are away home form is main chance to keep us up. We have a manager who's blown promising situations v top 6 clubs so I'm not hugely confident we'll start beating them at VP which we'll have to do now to stay up.

I agree the situation is far from lost but logic tells me we're far more likely to get the six wins to surivive with a new manager bounce than just keeping faith with Dean. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised again.

BTW we should only be a point or two off safety. It was only less than a month ago we were 3-4 points clear of 18th (after Newcastle). Danger with two aways and Man. City at home coming up in next three weeks we could be 4-5 points off 17th and then life will be very difficult for whoever is in charge.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I was actually more despondent in two of the Lambert seasons (15-16 pretty much everyone know from October we were going down). Thought we were down for sure in 12/13 around this time and then in 14/15 when we finally sacked Lambert. Was pleasantly surprised we stayed up in both seasons but it only delayed the inevitable.

I'm more disappointed this time. Disappointed we feel into the same trap as in summer 2015 thinking spending 100m on largely unproven players and neglecting the final third was enough. Disappointed that all the momentum we grew in final months of last season with the fans reconnecting with the club could go to waste.

I don't want to go down but can see the way the wind is blowing. We have used up most of our winnable home games already and given how bad we are away home form is main chance to keep us up. We have a manager who's blown promising situations v top 6 clubs so I'm not hugely confident we'll start beating them at VP which we'll have to do now to stay up.

I agree the situation is far from lost but logic tells me we're far more likely to get the six wins to surivive with a new manager bounce than just keeping faith with Dean. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised again.

BTW we should only be a point or two off safety. It was only less than a month ago we were 3-4 points clear of 18th (after Newcastle). Danger with two aways and Man. City at home coming up in next three weeks we could be 4-5 points off 17th and then life will be very difficult for whoever is in charge.

I’m like you re the summer, I was surprised and pleased we spent so much but disappointed we didn’t buy at least some proven quality rather than all totally unproven players.  I did though trust they knew what they were doing but I was very disappointed, like you, that our attack was really left short of strength.  We all knew in August we were short of quality there.

We need to make some moves in January transfer window and I think we will, it’s so obvious what we need and the owners don’t want to get relegated so I think it’ll happen.  I believe the board have trust in Smith but I agree a bad January re results and a bad February there is only relegation in our future.  I just have to believe we are going to have a bit of a run of form soon.  Call me a sucker I know.

• Like 1

We need Phillips & Mitrovic ...

We won’t get them sadly, but those two in this team guarantees safety ! 

Quality is now required after quantity was needed in the summer so the pressure is well and truly on to save our season . #announcerashica 😂

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

just been watching the man u game and the camera honed in on the bench.....Danny Drinkwater

What about him, he dosen't care about playing football since the Chelsea move given his off the field issues.

Matic had a good game tonight considering he's hardly played much this season. Good mentality so that type will do us fine for six months.

I meant to say it's the obviuous signing re the statement on buying a replacement for McGinn in Jan. given terry's links with chelsea etc

I wouldn't buy him as I think the winger and Striker  is where the money should be spent. I'll say it again. Benteke and Townsend. maybe Robert Snodgrass?

Edited by screwdriver

Massively off topic but **** it.. it’s Xmas . I find it weird How Danny Rose gets so much criticism for perceived attitude & mental issues yet no one goes on about Drinkwater in the same breath. His refusing an England call up, his drunk driving, drunken night club fights, injuries. 🤔🤔

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Massively off topic but **** it.. it’s Xmas . I find it weird How Danny Rose gets so much criticism for perceived attitude & mental issues yet no one goes on about Drinkwater in the same breath. His refusing an England call up, his drunk driving, drunken night club fights, injuries. 🤔🤔

No one goes on about Danny Drinkwater because no one gives a shit about Danny Drinkwater, he's a total non entity.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yeah both are tools, oh well.

Image result for harvey elliott aston villa

Maybe a second half of the season loan deal for Harvey Elliot?

It may be risky, he's young and inexperienced but maybe the idea of him getting Premier League experience for a team that (for this season anyway) won't rival Liverpool may appeal to Klopp?

Elliot would be hungry and full of energy, which is what we need in the centre of the park, and in my opinion would relish the chance to get some regular first team football in the top flight, which I think he would get with us. A real chance to impress and opportunity to prove he can compete in the Premier League, even at his young age.

And if it didn't work out, I don't think it would damage his reputation too much given his young age and our struggles, so that makes me think, for him and Liverpool at least, there wouldn't be a strong case for not doing it. Yes, he could get injured but that could happen at any time and if he didn't work out, he doesn't strike me as the type of person who would become jaded by that, plus he's young enough for it just to mean staying at U23 level for a few more seasons of improvement.

Just a risk for us basically 😐 but bringing in a young player from the side that looks likely to win the title (I know he hasn't been there that long but still) could be beneficial for us.

Plus the chance to link with Grealish could be attractive, not only to compare hairstyles. And bringing in a Liverpool player isn't going to convince Grealish to join them, that will purely be based on what division we're in next season in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

if anything somebody should be questioning the manager who wants to call up Drinkwater ;)

Guy is a clearing in the woods, one season wonder but a poorer Steve Sidwell