January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We definitely need a central midfielder, I thought that even before McGinn's injury, the fact that Lansbury has recently started a game should be proof of that, and as much as I like him and feel he's often under appreciated the fact that Hourihane who doesn't have a brilliant all round game is first choice for us at the moment probably also tells you that we need to strengthen in that area. And guess what Smith himself has just said himself that McGinn and Mings injuries have caused the club to have a re-think about our plans for January.

Yeah I'd agree with that. The question is what kinda CM do we need. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50894893?ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_linkname=sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_mchannel=social

Aston Villa are going to be very active in the January transfer window

Aston Villa will look to reinforce manager Dean Smith's squad in January.

Villa dropped into the bottom three of the Premier League after Saturday's 3-1 home defeat by Southampton - their fourth consecutive league loss.

In addition, midfielder John McGinn fractured an ankle in that match, which is set to rule him out for three months.

Villa only gave former Brentford manager Smith a new four-year contract in November that runs to 2023.

It is understood that rather than losing faith with the 48-year-old, who is a childhood Villa fan, the club's hierarchy are keen to strengthen his squad, even though they spent £120m on new players in the summer.

Villa are looking for a mixture of permanent and loan signings.

Speaking at the weekend Smith confirmed none of Villa's current squad have clauses in their contracts that would trigger transfers if certain figures were met.

Both defender Tyrone Mings and forward Keinan Davis, who has been out for almost two months, are set to return to training and could both be available for Saturday's trip to Watford.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I admire your optimism but I think we have absolutely zero chance of acquiring his services. He may not be starting many games for Chelsea but he his always in the first team squad and regularly is the one that replaces Abraham late on - No way are Chelsea and Frank going to let him go. I think Giroud would be a lot more likely but I can't see that happening either. 

I think we need 3 signings in January to try avoid relegation, unfortunately we have no chance with the above mentioned, but I would get Benrahma in first (this will no doubt come at an inflated cost to Dean) failing that, how about Jack Clarke from Spurs who's not getting game time at Leeds? He ripped us apart at VP last year and I think he would be a decent alternative to our current wide players? May be the step up would be too much?! I would get JT on the phone to Frank to see if we could get Reece James in on loan too, absolute baller and could fill in for McGinn whilst he's out injured. Predominantly a RB but would add some steel that we are evidently missing?!

Chelsea transfer ban has been lifted, Lampard said he will sign a striker 

JackClarke isn't being picked by Leeds due to attitude problems

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we buy Giroud that goes against this so called young, hungry to develop approach Purslow talked about in the promotion interview.

I’d only bring him in on loan until the end of the season, then he can take his last payday abroad somewhere. 

He’s got the game and experience that could help us right now. 

He wont score loads, but he’s far superior to Wes in terms of his hold up play and aerial ability. 

Ideally, I’d want someone younger, more mobile etc, but I genuinely think Giroud could do a good job for us in the 2nd half of the season. 

Just having some experience and know how up top would make a huge difference to us. 

Well if that article is anywhere near accurate I'm pleased the club are realising the fix we're in and will consider sensible loan signings.

I do find it bizarre because of one Purslow comment half of this forum seemed to dismiss any credible loan suggestion out of hand so good the club will proceed with them.

Anyway a couple more names to throw into the mix....

Hirving Lozano. Wide player at Napoli. Did well for PSV and also for Mexico in the world cup but struggling to get a regular game at Napoli so could be available. Only 24.

Gaston Pereiro. Also 24. 4 in 10 for Uruguay and 43 goals in just over 100 games for PSV. Can play anywhere across the front 3 or even as a number 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Only if we change formation for some games.

Is Benrahama a pure number 10? I'm pretty sure he can play across the forward line although like Jack he's probably most effective centrally.

I've seen a bit more of him since the summer when I hadn't really heard of him and he does look a very exciting player. Reminds me of Taarabt when he was in good form at QPR although he never really stepped up to prem level.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Is Benrahama a pure number 10? I'm pretty sure he can play across the forward line although like Jack he's probably most effective centrally.

I've seen a bit more of him since the summer when I hadn't really heard of him and he does look a very exciting player. Reminds me of Taarabt when he was in good form at QPR although he never really stepped up to prem level.

I've only seen him wide left and sometimes right.

He's absolutely brilliant but won't sort out the midfield being a mess and letting everyone pass through us and charge on our defence.

This is the season Brentford can get into the playoffs as favourites. Stadium to pay for might be the only reason they would sell.

We absolutely have to go 3 at the back. None of the fullbacks are defensively sound and leave spaces behind. A winger who can score ( Bowen ) and an established goalscoring

No9 is critical. After that we need more bite in defensive midfield. Vida might be a good call/ Then we might be OK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If we buy Giroud that goes against this so called young, hungry to develop approach Purslow talked about in the promotion interview.

I think it is unwise of the club to make hard and fast policy claims to Age and where players are from.

It should be about the right players to do the job required and blend ...end of.

We have plenty of time to cosmetically shape the squad over the next few years......right now  we need players who can deliver , from day one and keep us up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it is unwise of the club to make hard and fast policy claims to Age and where players are from.

It should be about the right players to do the job required...end of.

We have plenty of time to cosmetically shape the squad over the next few years......right now  we need players who can deliver , from day one and keep us up.

100% correct Paul. We should target the best players with talent we can regardless of division or country. Some great prospects in The lower leagues Airound UK and Europe.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

but can he resist a challenge?, can he be taken out too easily and go missing? has he got the tenacity to fight back?.....these are the crucial questions.

We have had these hyped players who can play when left alone.....close them down and they disappear.....we have wasted fortunes on these types.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

but can he resist a challenge?, can he be taken out too easily and go missing? has he got the tenacity to fight back?.....these are the crucial questions.

We have had these hyped players who can play when left alone.....close them down and they disappear.....we have wasted fortunes on these types.

I don't think that would be the case with Bowen but we also need someone with a nasty streak in central defensive midfield

• Like 1

The spine of the team apart from Heaton is weak.Hopefully Mings returning  soon will help our defence.

There probably has been too much emphasis on young players who have potential to improve rather than experienced players who are near the end of their career let’s not forget Merson  Snodgrass and McGrath were fantastic players for us.

Morale is low at the moment and a couple of good quality loan signings would give us a boost.

I can’t see us spending a lot of money in this window because relegation is quite possible and dealing with FFP in tha championship is going to be difficult.

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

I don't think that would be the case with Bowen but we also need someone with a nasty streak in central defensive midfield

spot on.

like Oliver Dacourt

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2