January Transfers 2019/20

sne

25 minutes ago, supermon said:

This makes sense. He’s a DM so will still be a starter when McGinn returns and was the player we wanted over Nakamba last summer. Presumably we’d put Luiz forward to cover McGinn’s role until he’s back. 

Choosing us over Everton is a big ask right now though. 

Is he actually any good though? Can't say I watch Angers much. Looking at their recent form it's o.k but I'd have thought he'd have had more than 3 under 20 French caps e.g. regular for under 21s and standby for the full national team.

Not sure where in his resume screams out he's that much better than Marvelous (would've been playing in CL this season if he'd stayed at Brugge) or Doug (regular in la Liga last two years).

I'd actually be looking at Steven N'zonzi's situation in Turkey. Apparently his loan will be terminated mid season. Premier league regular at Stoke and Blackburn in last decade, played very well for Sevilla. Less so for Roma but was still part of France world cup winning squad.

For half season loan would add some strength to our central midfield.

Last two DMs we've signed from French league...Jean Makoun who I'd actually seen a bit and thought would be a great signing but he couldn't quite get up to the pace of the league and McLeish didn't want him. Veretout who I knew little about. Again could never get up to the pace but shown in Italy he's a good midfielder so no guarentee he'd hit the ground running.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

We probably need another CB with some pace.

Once Engels was done by Long on Saturday he was desperate for Mings to come round and bail him out. Instead we had Hause plodding around (would give him a go at LB but unsure of his abilities at CB at this level).

As much as aspects of Mings's own game were becoming sloppy in last few weeks his presence helps the other CBs.

Our season has really fallen apart from the moment he pulled up v Leicester. This is a big warning just in case he gets another injury in March or sometime crucial in the run in.

I was wondering to myself yesterday if there might be a chance we could get Tuanzebe back on loan, he's only played 186 minutes of league football for Mancheser United this season, just over two games. I think it would be worth it even without and option to buy.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It's worrying but we really need to sign players in a few positions.

CB, CM, Winger and ST.

Just no idea who though.

We have cover at CB and CM, our forward line is the only area we need to recruit in January a CF is an absolute must, and a decent winger would go a long way to keeping us in this league. January isn't the time to do another 100 Mil!

Winger is a must. El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Jota are not providing enough competition and not in good form. This has forced Grealish onto the wing and has meant our central midfield has weakened. Get a winger (or 2) in place, Grealish back into the centre and forces the other CMs to fight for less places. Benrahma is the obvious choice, however Boden could also be a good shout. This is though the 1 position we definitely need to strengthen in January. 

Striker may be a good option as well. Wesley is well off form and needs to be taken off to regain some focus. I am not sure Kodjia is good enough for 1st team though, and certainly still seems off pace (though would start him against Norwich). Not sure who would be good pick though as really Maupay would have been ideal... really should have stumped up the money for him. Whilst I can see the merit in getting someone experienced on loan for half a season, I am not sure the management will go for it given the transfer style. Not sure who but do not think it is wise to get someone in for the sake of it though. 

Cannot see any need for other players. Whilst we are in poor form, I have definitely seen enough of them to think they are able to perform. Getting in more players won't assist them (given the need to settle in etc.). We will also have Mings and McGinn to come back into the team who will both be significant. They will provide the strength long term (and given their form before their respective injuries, hopefully have reflected and come back more focused). 

What I will say is that there is definitely no need to panic buy. 

• Like 1

We need to sign a striker whose goals will keep us up. Like Darren Bent did a few seasons ago. They don't come cheap though.

Chez Adams might be available. I would add that I'm not suggesting him. He is not getting too many games or too many goals is he? :) Someone else like that who might come off with us, but has not at his new club though, such as Moise Kean from Everton? 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Is he actually any good though? Can't say I watch Angers much. Looking at their recent form it's o.k but I'd have thought he'd have had more than 3 under 20 French caps e.g. regular for under 21s and standby for the full national team.

Not sure where in his resume screams out he's that much better than Marvelous (would've been playing in CL this season if he'd stayed at Brugge) or Doug (regular in la Liga last two years).

I'd actually be looking at Steven N'zonzi's situation in 

Last two DMs we've signed from French league...Jean Makoun who I'd actually seen a bit and thought would be a great signing but he couldn't quite get up to the pace of the league and McLeish didn't want him. Veretout who I knew little about. Again could never get up to the pace but shown in Italy he's a good midfielder so no guarentee he'd hit the ground running.

Dont forget the mighty summer pursuit of Berson and also Djemba Djemba learned his trade in France 

10 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think we can get Batshuyai, maybe try a get Bowen too. Those two could improve us dramatically. We'll have another loan which we could  look at a midfielder with.

I admire your optimism but I think we have absolutely zero chance of acquiring his services. He may not be starting many games for Chelsea but he his always in the first team squad and regularly is the one that replaces Abraham late on - No way are Chelsea and Frank going to let him go. I think Giroud would be a lot more likely but I can't see that happening either.

Bowen has been outstanding again this season and I could see him leaving in January, whether we would be in the market at the reported figures, again not too sure.

Although reasonably happy with our signings in the summer I always felt that we needed Phillips and Maupay to really give us a good chance of staying up, in fact I think with the addition of those two alone, with the way the league is panning out, we would be in the European places right now.

I think we need 3 signings in January to try avoid relegation, unfortunately we have no chance with the above mentioned, but I would get Benrahma in first (this will no doubt come at an inflated cost to Dean) failing that, how about Jack Clarke from Spurs who's not getting game time at Leeds? He ripped us apart at VP last year and I think he would be a decent alternative to our current wide players? May be the step up would be too much?! I would get JT on the phone to Frank to see if we could get Reece James in on loan too, absolute baller and could fill in for McGinn whilst he's out injured. Predominantly a RB but would add some steel that we are evidently missing?!

A centre forward is a must too, I wasn't too sure at first with the Morelos links, but the more I think about it the more I think it may be a good move for us, we really need some more fire power and some more aggression to our squad and he would definitely give us this. 

It looks like we'll spend a bit in January. At least 30m likely on Benhrama, a striker and maybe a couple of loans. 
Is anybody else worried about the impact this will have on the club's financial future should we drop back into the Championship? Clearly we desperately need a winger and a striker to have a chance of survival, but I'd really only be looking at loan moves right now. 

Edited by PaddytheVillan

4 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

It looks like we'll spend a bit in January. At least 30m likely on Benhrama, a striker and maybe a couple of loans. 
Is anybody else worried about the impact this will have on the club's financial future should we drop back into the Championship? Clearly we desperately need a winger and a striker to have a chance of survival, but I'd really only be looking at loan moves right now. 

It's always hard financially after relegation but at least we have a few players in Ming's/Grealish/McGinn who would all likely go for huge sums. 

It would be gut wrenching to see them go, but in terms of your question regarding finances they would certainly plug the deficit. 

To add to that (and I'm no expert), I think it's fair to assume that most of the players we bought in over the summer are earning much less than some of those that were released, I'd imagine/guess that our salary bill is much less than it has been in recent years. 

29 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Not really, if we got relegated we would probably lose at least grealish and mings, and possibly McGinn and others.

I can imagine depending on who would be sold if we were relegated, it would likely rake in 100m +, possibly 150m + depending on who exactly went.

That would probably balance the books easily for the first year if relegated, we would then if course need to invest again to get back out of the championship.....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

We definitely need a central midfielder, I thought that even before McGinn's injury, the fact that Lansbury has recently started a game should be proof of that, and as much as I like him and feel he's often under appreciated the fact that Hourihane who doesn't have a brilliant all round game is first choice for us at the moment probably also tells you that we need to strengthen in that area. And guess what Smith himself has just said himself that McGinn and Mings injuries have caused the club to have a re-think about our plans for January.