January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

On the other hand we have only scored 10 goals in that period with 4-5 (depending on grealish's goal at Leicester) of them being from set pieces and a wonder goal so in reality he has only really had the opportunity to score 1 or 2 goals but has been a tad unlucky that we had such a horrid stretch of games. 

Think he's generally struggled in the bigger games to make much of an impact. Start of the season he was looking alright against some of the weaker defences like Everton and Norwich.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think he's generally struggled in the bigger games to make much of an impact. Start of the season he was looking alright against some of the weaker defences like Everton and Norwich.

But everyone has struggled to make an impact in the bigger games this season that I'd why we lost them. In 8 of the last 9 league games we have had less possession than our opponents albeit that the Brighton and wolves game it was by less than 5% but in the other games it was a difference of 14+% and that shows me why we have lost those games our midfield have been played off the park and we have then been slaughtered as they were our defence down.

I don't think it is really valid criticism of a striker to say 'you haven't scored in the 6 games where we have been completely and utterly dominated sort it out lad.' Our midfield needs to be doing better in these situations and lately it has me questioning mcginn and whether he does more harm than good because of how poor his positioning is. I'm not saying he is a bad player but he certainly has room for improvement and right now we are certainly struggling and that has coincided with mcginns struggles whether that is a symptom or a cause has yet to be determined. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No matter how much potential he has (or hasn't) the last two months have shown he shouldn't be starting week in week out at this level. Hasn't scored a league goal since first weekend in October and his general performances haven't been that great anyway.

To not sign someone to come in for him and take over when his form dipped was just strange. Even after Maupay moved to Brighton we still had about five weeks to source another striker from somewhere.

All needs to be done in January to give us a good shot of staying up.

I disagree, I think we should stick with him, he has shown a lot of potential so far this season. He just needs to knuckle down and get back amongst the goals in the league again, the goal the other day would’ve done him the world of good. Hopefully he can go on a goalscoring spree now and fire us to safety

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

But everyone has struggled to make an impact in the bigger games this season that I'd why we lost them. In 8 of the last 9 league games we have had less possession than our opponents albeit that the Brighton and wolves game it was by less than 5% but in the other games it was a difference of 14+% and that shows me why we have lost those games our midfield have been played off the park and we have then been slaughtered as they were our defence down.

I don't think it is really valid criticism of a striker to say 'you haven't scored in the 6 games where we have been completely and utterly dominated sort it out lad.' Our midfield needs to be doing better in these situations and lately it has me questioning mcginn and whether he does more harm than good because of how poor his positioning is. I'm not saying he is a bad player but he certainly has room for improvement and right now we are certainly struggling and that has coincided with mcginns struggles whether that is a symptom or a cause has yet to be determined. 

Grealish has played well in the bigger games imo. Trez scored v Chelsea and Liverpool. McGinn v Arsenal and Spurs.

If you look back to when Benteke first came in it's interesting up to December of that season he'd only scored 5 league goals so similar tally. Yet you could see in other aspects this was a very special striker developing. Remember him demolishing Chris Smalling on the touchline and then crossing for Weimann to score.

I just don't get the same feeling with Wes even earlier on in the season when he was scoring. To me he should''ve been back up striker this season as someone like Libor Kozak was when he signed for example.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Grealish has played well in the bigger games imo. Trez scored v Chelsea and Liverpool. McGinn v Arsenal and Spurs.

If you look back to when Benteke first came in it's interesting up to December of that season he'd only scored 5 league goals so similar tally. Yet you could see in other aspects this was a very special striker developing. Remember him demolishing Chris Smalling on the touchline and then crossing for Weimann to score.

I just don't get the same feeling with Wes even earlier on in the season when he was scoring. To me he should''ve been back up striker this season as someone like Libor Kozak was when he signed for example.

First of all grealish shines in pretty much all games but 1 player doesn't make a team. Trez scored a 3 scuffed shots and got quite lucky. Mcginn scored those goals before we went into this run of games and Wesley scored a goal against arsenal as well. On top of that wesley has absolutely destroyed some centre halves. 

My god today has been a sobering watch.

As much as we moan about Mings and McGinn losing form in last few weeks (and they have) you take either out of the team and we don't half miss their leadership skills. The back 4 has been a disgrace today. Mings talks and moves people around.

We did sign some decent players in the summer but there seems to be some weird denial about not wanting to sign any players with top level experience. We need some in January, just to organise and try to gee up exisiting players that losing 4-1 to Leicester dosen't mean the world is going to cave in as seems to be happening now.

In 15/16 we signed some promising players from abroad but really negated to sign anyone proven in the final third. Correct me if I'm wrong but history seems to be repeating itself. The frustrating thing is we're in a much better place as a club than four years ago.

• Like 2

My main hope now is we stop messing around and finally start getting some top class players in.

Yes it's difficult attracting that many when you're in relegation zone but we still signed Darren Bent all those years ago we were in similar position to now. We have enough potential and they aren't half struggling atm.

People love chuckling at Wolves when they lose a game but to me they've gone out and backed up what they said they wanted to do.

Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Rui Patricio. Top class internationals. They signed one in the championship and the other three as a newly promoted club. They are comfortably in europa knock outs and 2 points off 4th so pretty much having our 08/09 season.

It's time we stop messing about anyway as the transfer policy of signing "projects" upfront will relegate us just like it did in 15/16.

• Like 2

He's a bit slower now but for his experience I'd be looking at someone like Matic to cover the six months. Knows this league inside out and not part of OGS plans. Only problem is Conte wants him at Inter and Serie A probably a better fit for him at this point of his career.

We're going to need another two midfielders in this window with McGinn out and Luiiz possibly going off to play for Brazil so much more worker needs to be done than five hours ago.

• Like 1

The midfield is the problem, we need a hard bastard, dare I say it but we need a nasty Representative for Wellingborough like Robbie Savage

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Keeping Whelan around for a year would have been a good move.

I'd even take Jedinak right now. Considering how much we struggle with defensive set pieces.

Jedinak is the best i've ever seen in aerial duels at the club. He's up there with Carew

Lets get Heskey and Lescott back as well.

Let's build be the most static team in history. Perfect for the type of football we face in the PL

I can see it now, Dean Smith's terracotta army, only bit less mobile and more brittle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Lets get Heskey and Lescott back as well.

Let's build be the most static team in history. Perfect for the type of football we face in the PL

I can see it now, Dean Smith's terracotta army, only bit less mobile and more brittle.

Considering we are the worst team in the league regarding defensive corners you don't think Jedinak would be an asset?

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Considering we are the worst team in the league regarding defensive corners you don't think Jedinak would be an asset?

If football was a turn based strategy game, sure.

• Like 2