January Transfers 2019/20

sne

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It appears to be calculated on Zimbabwe's inflation rate. 

I can't believe that, with a few adjustments, we were paying Hassan Kachloul eleventy billion pounds per week back in the day. Really makes you think. 

• Haha 1

As I say I think that spell where we did okay without any strikers as lulled the club into a false sense of security. Really needed another forward, didn't have to be anyone amazing, just someone half decent to add to the squad until the end of the season would have been adequate in the case of an emergency. I don't think I'm being over dramatic when I say that Smith can feel genuinely let down by this, we saw what happened in the first half of the season when we only had Wesley and two injury prone strikers available, now we only two strikers available, one of whom is very injury prone, if we end up with both of them out again, no guarantee that we're going to be able to cope.

Just now, useless said:

As I say I think that spell where we did okay without any strikers as lulled the club into a false sense of security. Really needed another forward, didn't have to be anyone amazing, just someone half decent to add to the squad until the end of the season would have been adequate in the case of an emergency. I don't think I'm being over dramatic when I say that Smith can feel genuinely let down by this, we saw what happened in the first half of the season when we only had Wesley and two injury prone strikers available, now we only two strikers available, one of whom is very injury prone, if we end up with both of them out again, no guarantee that we're going to be able to cope.

Yep. We continue to make it more of a challenge for him.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

There's been no indication whatsoever that we're even interested in Bowen, as it stands we're unlikey to be even interested in signing a winger, we already have four of them, and with the new system of playing wing-backs, don't even play with out and out wingers anyway. It's a centre-forward that we need.

The highlighted isn't true . . . there was an interview with Bowen at the start of the window, the same one where he clarified that his dad was a fan, where he said something about how people were talking about him moving here (I can't find it, but I'm sure I remember it). So there was something more than nothing to the story. 

Agree with the rest of your post, although I had hoped we would sign someone who could play across the front three. 

I think we are looking longer term. We have 3 strikers, one is injured now.

We’re not going to sign another expensive one and have 4 strikers for one position come the start of next season. 

A loan similar to Drinkwater would have been ideal. 

• Like 1

at least that confirms it early in the day. 

We evidently missed out on who we were chasing for, but nevermind. 

It's a 5/10 window instead of a 7/8. We've covered off incurred injuries. I suspect we must be near the FFP limit as we clearly were in no mood to over-pay on any dealings. Which is fair enough, frustrating, but let's go with it. 

With each week passing, Drinkwater's fitness is getting there. We also have a two week break after this weekend to, help the players too. We've got a decent squad still. McGinn to return in a month or so as well?

• Like 1

We were 2 short in the summer -  Striker and a winger.
We are 1 short after January - Striker/Inside forward.

It's blindingly obvious and I suppose it's just a gamble at the end of the day. If we stay up, we'll have more money in the summer. If we go down, well, like I say, they gambled. 

Samatta and Davis need to step up. Whilst I'm a big fan of Davis, it's too early to judge Samatta. It's a big ask for both of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Or Bowen flops and we never hear a whisper from a VTer about wanting him at Villa ever again 👀

And then we can talk about Maupay again 😋

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I'm not too fussed about that tbh. It's the forward areas we're lacking. 

This. Just like most said in the summer. And that left us in the shit. Where will this leave us now?

If we signed a new striker that would also mean the bench was stronger. We could have Trez AND AEG as impact subs (worked well the other night) and also Davis so three attacking options.

As it stands Davis picks up another knock and we'll be back to Vassilev as main striker off the bench. Kid will run his heart out but too much pressure to expect him to make a difference in games we're drawing 1-1 with ten minutes left.

We will play lots of tight matches in the run in and our bench all season hasn't had many options to turn or win games bar Douglas Luiz coming on v Watford.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1