January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Anyone seen the link to the Centerback/Right Back we have been linked with from Beskitas who looks like the predator?

image.jpeg.82c0ecabb915e959437da09d39df2341.jpeg

Domagoj Vida.

Don't know much about him but seems he can cover both positions. I think we desperately need quality back up for Guibert as Elmo doesn't cut it at this level anymore imo.

ALSO back up/competetion for Engels as I don't think Konsa is ready to be our senior CB yet.

EDIT: Apologies if it is old news.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Birmingham Mail has a rundown of players we've been linked with.

Wouldn't put much stock in their opinions but nice with list I guess.

Loads of players I never heard about. Full list in link.

Vida, Wallace, Pedro, Bowen - Every Aston Villa rumour rated ahead of January transfer window

Aston Villa transfer news | Players from Beskitas, Bolton and Brentford have been touted with moves to Aston Villa in January - but what's the likelihood of each deal?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/vida-aston-villa-transfer-news-17407439

52 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You joke, but if we’d paid them 20m for Maupay, we’d probably be 6 points better off now. 

Fair play to them for valuing their players highly. You either pay it or go to some tin pot league and try to unearth a gem for less money or take an even bigger gamble by signing Wesley, 

Maupay and Benrahma would have completed an excellent summer for us. Both very good players. 

They wanted 25 for maupay 10 mil more than they accepted. They wanted to mug us off like with Webster as well cost Brighton 15 million less. We refused to pay the prices that they inflated for us and let's face it neither Webster or maupay are really on fire either. 

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone seen the link to the Centerback/Right Back we have been linked with from Beskitas who looks like the predator?

image.jpeg.82c0ecabb915e959437da09d39df2341.jpeg

Domagoj Vida.

Don't know much about him but seems he can cover both positions. I think we desperately need quality back up for Guibert as Elmo doesn't cut it at this level anymore imo.

ALSO back up/competetion for Engels as I don't think Konsa is ready to be our senior CB yet.

EDIT: Apologies if it is old news.

Elmo can cut it just not against the top teams. Against Norwich, soton Everton etc. He will be fine

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

They wanted 25 for maupay 10 mil more than they accepted. They wanted to mug us off like with Webster as well cost Brighton 15 million less. We refused to pay the prices that they inflated for us and let's face it neither Webster or maupay are really on fire either. 

The funny thing about both players is that I can see why we wanted them. Webster is in a lot of ways similar to Engels and Mings. But how we wanted Maupay and ended up with Wesley is beyond weird. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The funny thing about both players is that I can see why we wanted them. Webster is in a lot of ways similar to Engels and Mings. But how we wanted Maupay and ended up with Wesley is beyond weird. 

Surely we wanted both but was priced out of the second deal

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Likely because Smith decided that a 5'7" player with an attitude problem would not be a good influence on our team and isn't worth the cost of 25 million. I don't see maupay getting any better as he already knows how to maximise his size speed and strength. The only way he can improve is by improving his finishing. Wesley on the other hand has 4 goals (to maupay 6 and Wesley has played the top 6 in a 7 game period which makes it difficult to score) but can still improve him positioning, skill and utilisation of his athleticism. Wesley's ceiling is one of the top strikers in the world (based on physical attributes) and maupay is a (shorter, slower, weaker and less skilled aguero) 

Just now, sne said:

Sorry but that's not how anything works.

It is. Ceilings are based off of intangibles and athleticism. Because skill is something  that can be improved whereas you can't make yourself taller or faster and stronger (obviously you can but generally it is limited by your frame) to a point.

Wesley has good vision, great strength, good height and a good top speed. The rest of it is putting together the skills which whilst easier said than done is still possible especially when you consider wesley won't reach his technical peak till likely his late 20s when most players reach it at about 25 until they start losing athleticism. 

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Likely because Smith decided that a 5'7" player with an attitude problem would not be a good influence on our team and isn't worth the cost of 25 million. I don't see maupay getting any better as he already knows how to maximise his size speed and strength. The only way he can improve is by improving his finishing. Wesley on the other hand has 4 goals (to maupay 6 and Wesley has played the top 6 in a 7 game period which makes it difficult to score) but can still improve him positioning, skill and utilisation of his athleticism. Wesley's ceiling is one of the top strikers in the world (based on physical attributes) and maupay is a (shorter, slower, weaker and less skilled aguero) 

I really want to make another point about minutes per goals but at this point, but I'm not sure why bother anymore. 

Anyway,

Maupay 192 minutes per goal.

Wesley 344 minutes per goal.

Not in the same league with each other.

I don't want to keep bringing this up, but I'm just sick of the "but he has 4 goals" argument. He's played almost every minute of all 16 games for us. Many strikers who've scored more goals than Wesley in the league have played hundreds of minutes less than Wesley, some have barely played half the time Wesley has. 

Not to mention Brighton have also played against all top 6 sides. Not sure why us playing them in a 7 game period is relevant and somehow excuses Wesley's scoring record. It might if you're looking at his scoring record for only those 7 games, not if you're looking at in terms of all games played so far which we are.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

It is. Ceilings are based off of intangibles and athleticism. Because skill is something  that can be improved whereas you can't make yourself taller or faster and stronger (obviously you can but generally it is limited by your frame) to a point.

Wesley has good vision, great strength, good height and a good top speed. The rest of it is putting together the skills which whilst easier said than done is still possible especially when you consider wesley won't reach his technical peak till likely his late 20s when most players reach it at about 25 until they start losing athleticism. 

Sorry, don't agree with anything about this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I really want to make another point about minutes per goals but at this point, but I'm not sure why bother anymore.

Anyway,

I'm just sick of the "but he has 4 goals" argument. He's played almost every minute of all 16 games for us. Many strikers who've scored more goals than Wesley in the league have played hundreds of minutes less than Wesley, some have barely played half the time Wesley has. 

In case you hadn't noticed:

1)wesley doesn't really get to rest so he likely isn't 100% every game

2) We have just come of the most difficult stretch of our schedule so his goals to minute ratio are inflated the same way it would be if instead of playing all of the top 6 we played the bottom 6. Which is the key thing. What you are currently comparing wesley to is like if you said Maupay would only score 13 goals in the championship because that is how many he is on track for in the prem it is a different standard of opposition. 

3)Maupay is currently in a better team which is designed to give him chances to score and has taken the 2nd most shots in the league but has only scored 6 goals. Only a 12% conversion rate to Wesley's 15.4%.

9 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Anyway,

I don't want to keep bringing this up, but I'm just sick of the "but he has 4 goals" argument. He's played almost every minute of all 16 games for us. Many strikers who've scored more goals than Wesley in the league have played hundreds of minutes less than Wesley, some have barely played half the time Wesley has. 

Not to mention Brighton have also played against all top 6 sides. Not sure why us playing them in a 7 game period is relevant and somehow excuses Wesley's scoring record. It might if you're looking at his scoring record for only those 7 games, not if you're looking at in terms of all games played so far which we are.

Well said. He could have scored 7 goals by now and id still think he was shit. Bloke can’t control the football.