January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, LondonLax said:

That is obviously something the club has consciously tried to change with their summer recruitment policy, buying ‘potential’ rather than the finished article. 

It does make for a nervous time whilst they develop though. 

But it’s sweeter if they do

• Like 1

On the one hand DS said yesterday that our search for a second striker is v much international in scope, so the talk about Mehdi Taremi might make sense.

On the other, it seems as if Porto were interested in signing him this month too and our ‘interest’ might be a way to flush out Porto’s offer. 

Having agents, clubs and media know we want to sign a striker is quite an odd situation: we are linked with all and sundry. 

I think the transfer committee have looked at what 8.5m gets you in terms of premier league experience and decided it was worth throwing the dice. We were probably quoted close to 5m for Glenn Murray, who's 36, for example. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think the transfer committee have looked at what 8.5m gets you in terms of premier league experience and decided it was worth throwing the dice. We were probably quoted close to 5m for Glenn Murray, who's 36, for example. 

I don't think we were ever interested in Murray. Lazy journalism. Don't believe the link to the Iranian guy either 

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sky Sports echoed that we were in talks to sign Piatek. They don't know shit but people treat them like gospel

How do you know we wasn’t? Just because the singing doesn’t come to fruition doesn’t mean we didn’t have a discussion, you ever been in to buy a car and then walked away? Same thing.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think we were ever interested in Murray. Lazy journalism. Don't believe the link to the Iranian guy either 

Murray was just an example of someone who is possibly available and has cut it as a premier league striker. There was talk of 'plug and play' type players earlier on (from Smith, I think) but there's really not a whole lot out there who are proven in the prem and available at a reasonable price. I think we tried for Giroud (and possibly Pedro) but neither fancied it or wanted to keep their options open til later on in the window - meanwhile we needed to get people in ASAP. 

I think Taremi is a believable link and it wouldn't surprise me if we signed somebody like him. 

10 hours ago, useless said:

Was looking on a Stoke forum last night looking for their opinions of Nzonzi... at what I noticed was lots of praize for Nzonzi and the fact that they don't seem to rate Allen at all, Etebo from them would be a better option for midfield, he's on loan at Getafe though, so not sure if he'd be available.

The majority of my mates are Stoke Fans and they loved Nzonzi, player of the year for them 2014-15 before joining Sevilla. They see his departure as a starting point for their decline. He's the kind of centre midfielder we've been missing for years, quality passer and a bit of a brute.

Allen is at the wrong end of his career, he's been rubbish for most of the season and he wouldn't improve us. Neither would Etebo he's decent enough for the Championship but he's not premier league quality, they shipped him out because his attitude towards training was bad. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

How do you know we wasn’t? Just because the singing doesn’t come to fruition doesn’t mean we didn’t have a discussion, you ever been in to buy a car and then walked away? Same thing.

I hope we were in for him. Even though this type of signing is out of our league it would signal the intent of the club for next season if we can stay up. We’ll have a base to build upon.

20 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Don't think we're spending that kind of money atm. The Italian source said we were interested in Reina. Think he was just hedging his bets

34 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

How do you know we wasn’t? Just because the SINGING doesn’t come to fruition doesn’t mean we didn’t have a discussion, you ever been in to buy a car and then walked away? Same thing.

We need to find someone we can get a tune out of that’s for sure....

• Haha 2

We're not in the market for £30m odd players at the mo. We're after bargains and loans. Samatta is likely the biggest signing we'll make, and given that 8.5m isn't the biggest fee in the world, that should give you an idea of the ponds we're fishing in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We need to find someone we can get a tune out of that’s for sure....

But also someone that will work in harmony with the rest of the team - really be able to sing from the same songsheet.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

And someone than can drum up the support that isn’t willing to play second fiddle. 

19 minutes ago, Wes said:

But also someone that will work in harmony with the rest of the team - really be able to sing from the same songsheet.

Hopefully, any settling in period for new signings will be breve. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 1