Jump to content
sne

January Transfers 2019/20

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It's funny how last season we slated Steve Bruce when we were massively short at centre back.

This season we're about to play our 3rd game in a row without a recognized striker and Dean Smith hasn't taken much flak.

Not that I want Smith to get slated... just think it's a little odd. It's pretty embarrassing for a PL club to be in this position.

 

Crossing my fingers we sign a striker today, a 4.5 hour journey each way to Brighton on Saturday without having a striker is not the weekend plan I was looking for.

Maybe it's not Smith fault?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair, we have 3 strikers for a lone striker role, it's just that all 3 are injured.

I don't think that's anything like Bruce leaving us in the state he did with centre backs.

 

This is a fair point. I think the bigger argument going in to the season was the quality of the players. Wesley, Kodjia and Davis looked a weak set of options and we were really relying on Wes hitting the ground running. I think that is more short sighted than the fact none of them are currently available. Injusries are part and parcel of football, and unfortunately they've hit us hard, but if you only plan on 1 up top, starting a season with 3 recognised forwards isn't unreasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair, we have 3 strikers for a lone striker role, it's just that all 3 are injured.

I don't think that's anything like Bruce leaving us in the state he did with centre backs.

 

Not unless we loan Kodjia out on deadline day without bringing anyone in!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair, we have 3 strikers for a lone striker role, it's just that all 3 are injured.

I don't think that's anything like Bruce leaving us in the state he did with centre backs.

 

Kodja and Davis weren't getting starts in the championship, so to classify them as premiership strikers is wrong.  In my mind we only had one striker going into the season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Kodja and Davis weren't getting starts in the championship, so to classify them as premiership strikers is wrong.  In my mind we only had one striker going into the season.

I've said this many time but I'll say it again. The way the upfront 3 works in the system DS was playing previously (4-3-3) the front 3 were interchangeable. I think DS and the recruitment team would have looked at the 6-7 players they had to fill those three spots (Wes, Kod, Davis, Jota, ElGhazi, Trez, Jack) and thought they had enough. No doubt DS would have preferred more cover because, as you say, none of those players have played in this league before. 

For me I think this is a real shame for Davis, he could be getting an extended run in the team right now if he was fit. I do fear injuries might mean we never see the best of him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Kodja and Davis weren't getting starts in the championship, so to classify them as premiership strikers is wrong.  In my mind we only had one striker going into the season.

elphick was/is an atrocious player, yet was still an experienced CB that could have been called upon (certainly would've done a better job than jedinak) and was let go on loan on deadline day. so it is slightly different circumstances. also bruce was in charge of the lot, whereas our model is left to suso...so it's not smith's fault, it's his. and i'm a bruce supporter by the way...but letting elphick go was criminal, in spite of how utterly dreadful a player he is

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This going down to the wire would be total mismanagement and heads should roll in the recruitment department. 

Ok mate, because it is dead easy to get suitable strikers in, the moment you want them.

I'm sure that they havent even tried yet, that's why we haven't signed one. They have not noticed the problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This going down to the wire would be total mismanagement and heads should roll in the recruitment department. 

i know you're an FM fan as I've discussed it with you on it's own thread previously, but surely you know that it's not that easy to sign players in real life? in Football Manager i could wrap up 6/7 signings in a single game day. in real life that would be physically impossible. do you have any idea the complexities involved in an actual football player transfer? smith himself has alluded to the number of stars that need to align in order to get a player in this window. not to mention any half decent striker that's available and affordable is going to be wanted by most teams in the bottom half on the basis that none of these teams are safe.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We messed up with the attacking recruitment in the summer, no doubt about it.

Wesley was a gamble, Kodjia was never going to made it in the PL and Davis is still young and not a goalscorer.

The wide options were also gambles, El Ghazi I think is a good rotation player but Jota was never going to handle the pace and Trez was also a here's hoping signing.

Now with the summer being like it was with a mad scramble to get players in at all positions it's not really that hard to see why it turned out like it did.

But even before Wes got injured we desperately needed a striker in so I was hoping we had one lined up straight away and then add another one (possibly on loan) due to the injury.

All difficulties aside, going January without a striker would be unacceptable job by the board

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i know you're an FM fan as I've discussed it with you on it's own thread previously, but surely you know that it's not that easy to sign players in real life? in Football Manager i could wrap up 6/7 signings in a single game day. in real life that would be physically impossible. do you have any idea the complexities involved in an actual football player transfer? smith himself has alluded to the number of stars that need to align in order to get a player in this window. not to mention any half decent striker that's available and affordable is going to be wanted by most teams in the bottom half on the basis that none of these teams are safe.

it's a wasted effort mate. people who are determined to be outraged, angry, pissed off aren't going to be reasoned out of their emotional frustration. ITS OUTRAGEOUS is a more comforting cloak to wear than accepting it's a complex process.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

elphick was/is an atrocious player, yet was still an experienced CB that could have been called upon (certainly would've done a better job than jedinak) and was let go on loan on deadline day. so it is slightly different circumstances. also bruce was in charge of the lot, whereas our model is left to suso...so it's not smith's fault, it's his. and i'm a bruce supporter by the way...but letting elphick go was criminal, in spite of how utterly dreadful a player he is

Elphick was shit. Him and Hutton getting injured coincided with winning streak that got us in playoffs. I think Elphick played first of winning streak. Jedinak played CB the season before at the end where we beat the top teams in quick succession and 3 CS from memory. Elphick had 1 great game away to Middlesbrough that I recall but was a car crash waiting to happen most games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jedinak was deemed OK as a CB option then El Ghazi is a valid striker option.

Neither are competent enough to be relied on in those roles.

Chris Samba was a better striker than Jedinak was a CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, deeps said:

3rd time lucky...

Today is the day 🙏🏻 

Bloody jinx 😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...
Â