January Transfers 2019/20

sne

21 minutes ago, useless said:

Club are in no mood to be ripped off in the search for a striker, if need be we've still got Hogan, Hepburn-Murphy, Kodjia and Davis to call on. Smith will just get on with it and give it his best.

If we couldn't build a team in the summer to compete in the Prem  - we sure as hell aint going to be able to beg and borrow one with 2 weeks remaining in Jan.

The bulk of staying up (or not) - will come from what we have IMO - that doesn't mean we won't get a new striker just that he will probably be around the Kjodia\Wesley level.

• Like 1

If we want another midfielder, and I certainly feel we need one, then Mendy from Leicester is out of contract at the end of the season and likely to be available, that's who I would be going for. Nzonzi would also be a good option, think he'd give us a lot of what we've missed since Jedinak has left, but with the added bonus that he's quite good on the ball as well.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I suppose in mild mitigation, it's probably been written by a 17 year old girl on work experience who also has to write articles about flooded roads, local killers and whichever Kpop star has turned up at the Bull Ring this week, all within the next five minutes.  

Exactly true.  My 16 year old son did work experience at one of these and having gone in expecting to be photocopying and making tea, within 3 days he was sent out with a photographer to do an interview and write a story.  #csb

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The issue with that is (if reports/rumours are to be believed) that we are very very close to the FFP limit, and so cannot spend anymore even if the owners were willing to pump in cash. 

Whilst i'm no FFP expert, one things for sure we are deep in the brown stuff if we get relegated.

Back in the championship, loads of empty seats (m'lord), sell our best players etc, queues at the pharmacist for depression tablets, lost production due to an increase in sick days etc, a visit to the sty !!!!!

Splash the cash to stay up and we get loads more TV money and then what....maybe a slap on the wrist or more than likely nothing.

Needs must chap, needs must.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Exactly true.  My 16 year old son did work experience at one of these and having gone in expecting to be photocopying and making tea, within 3 days he was sent out with a photographer to do an interview and write a story.  #csb

So actual work experience? Sounds like a good thing.

The big gamble was in the summer..that gamble has not payed off and now we are going to find it really hard to stay in this league...

Who in their right mind came up with this strategy? No fit strikers? The fans could see it a  mile away after our summer fiasco.

Kodjia has been in a strop since we would not let him leave to join angers in ligue 1.Davis is barely championship quality.

I wont mention the other 5-6 players who are barely championship players either.

The person or persons responsible for this monumental mess and squandering of million needs to step down or be sacked.

I thought the days of the club being in a shambles was well over when edens and co took over...how wrong i was

vtid! rant over

1 hour ago, useless said:

Club are in no mood to be ripped off in the search for a striker, if need be we've still got Hogan, Hepburn-Murphy, Kodjia and Davis to call on. Smith will just get on with it and give it his best.

There's literally 12 teams in the Championship who have better striking options than this.

If we're ripped off than so be it. Better to pay £10m or even £15m over the odds and stay up than go down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

The big gamble was in the summer..that gamble has not payed off and now we are going to find it really hard to stay in this league...

Who in their right mind came up with this strategy? No fit strikers? The fans could see it a  mile away after our summer fiasco.

Kodjia has been in a strop since we would not let him leave to join angers in ligue 1.Davis is barely championship quality.

I wont mention the other 5-6 players who are barely championship players either.

The person or persons responsible for this monumental mess and squandering of million needs to step down or be sacked.

I thought the days of the club being in a shambles was well over when edens and co took over...how wrong i was

vtid! rant over

Club in shambles? A bit of an over reaction

Our aim was to avoid relegation this season ie 17th or above.  With over half a season gone we still are able to do that.

We had to replace most of the squad because those that had left/leaving....we did that!  We should’ve brought another striker no doubt and that’s a failure but losing three strikers to injury at the same time is bad bad luck.  We still have a chance to get a striker but everybody is freaking out rightly or wrongly.

Some of the players haven’t stepped up yet no doubt.

BUT we are far from a shambles.  

A couple of good signings now and we could be optimistic of surviving relegation.  I am freaking out now about our striking situation but I keep thinking back to avoiding relegation this season was a massive target and we still have a great chance of doing that.  

A few signings and things will look better.....

• Like 1

I keep seeing posts about loaning more players. The Premier League rules clearly state that a club may only register two loan players per transfer window, so Drinkwater and Reina have taken up our full loan allowance. Why are we still talking about extra loans?

In my opinion one of our two loans should have been used for a 'key' striker.  

Not getting in another striker in the summer is the mistake. Clearly.

I'm firmly of the view that the majority of the players we brought in will come good - whether that's for us or unfortunately, somewhere else. We've also seen so many times in the past that it's incredibly difficult for players from abroad to come into the prem and hit the ground running. Next season is the season we should be judging them. That doesn't help us right now obviously, but i refuse to believe they're all s***. If we had bought another striker in the summer i don't the toys would be being thrown out the pram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I see that everybody is dunking on this post, but I'd rather we started with Kodjia (or even Hogan) up top against Brighton rather than trying to pretend we're Barcelona '09 again. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Club in shambles? A bit of an over reaction

Our aim was to avoid relegation this season ie 17th or above.  With over half a season gone we still are able to do that.

We had to replace most of the squad because those that had left/leaving....we did that!  We should’ve brought another striker no doubt and that’s a failure but losing three strikers to injury at the same time is bad bad luck.  We still have a chance to get a striker but everybody is freaking out rightly or wrongly.

Some of the players haven’t stepped up yet no doubt.

BUT we are far from a shambles.  

A couple of good signings now and we could be optimistic of surviving relegation.  I am freaking out now about our striking situation but I keep thinking back to avoiding relegation this season was a massive target and we still have a great chance of doing that.  

A few signings and things will look better.....

Hmmmmm

I would say we have been in worse situations

But the main strategy plank - ie a sporting director to purchase the players and a head coach to coach them seems to be in tatters or very close to it.

IMO the recruitment has been expensive, wasteful and poorly targeted - we have no strikers but an abundance of CB'S ! - Jota just seemed like £4m tossed down the pan - what ever made anyone think he could cut it at this level.

Edited by hippo

20 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I keep seeing posts about loaning more players. The Premier League rules clearly state that a club may only register two loan players per transfer window, so Drinkwater and Reina have taken up our full loan allowance. Why are we still talking about extra loans?

In my opinion one of our two loans should have been used for a 'key' striker.  

Can have 4 loans per season and 2 from Premier league clubs. 

• Like 1

I was banging the Cahill drum in the summer on a free transfer, very few on here agreed with me. The money saved on Konsa and/or Engels could have gone towards getting another striker or being the difference in landing Maupay. 

Now it looks like we will be playing up to 6 games with a 5-5-0 formation, 3 of those against direct relegation candidates.  

• Like 3