January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Hmm, yeah. That's true. But its much harder to do any kind of objective statistical analysis of something like that. I guess I could go and check if there's a significant difference between the average total incoming and outcoming transfer fees and see if there's a difference between the improved teams and the teams who got worse. 

The 8 improves sides are

1-Wolves 18-19,

2-Cardiff 18-19

3-Fulham 18-19

4-Newcastle 17-18

5-Hull City 16-17

6-Bournemouth 15-16

7-Leicester 14-15

8-Burnley 14-15

Does seem too much work though and I've already wasted a decent amount of time on this. Maybe I'll come back to this later. But if you want to go check it yourself, knock yourself out.

Edit: Made a mistake with some of the seasons numbers. Corrected now.

I love your commitment to stats but my point is really that a 23 year old who has played 10 times in the Premier League will usually improve over the course of becoming a 24 year old who has played 30 times in the Premier League or a 25 year old who has played 60 times in the Premier League and so on.

We have a lot of the original group. 

Edit: just to clarify I was interested in the stats you put together, that wasn’t sarcasm!

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Elton said:

Pepe Reina liked a Villa Twitter post about tomorrow’s game, so this one must be close.

Edit: not sure why that quote inserted..

BBC said yesterday that it will likely complete on Monday, but basically all done. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Not heard of him, will do some googling and edit this in a min.

Hes got a roughly 1 in 2 goal to game ratio... but I think that’s in French Ligue 2... which is presumably similar level to the Doc Martens Conference?

Do Villa and Newcastle have the same scouts or something? 😂

The press are constantly linking us to the same players.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hes got a roughly 1 in 2 goal to game ratio... but I think that’s in French Ligue 2... which is presumably similar level to the Doc Martens Conference?

Ya huge step up from that level of football, would probably choose us ahead of Newcastle because of nakamba being here already

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hes got a roughly 1 in 2 goal to game ratio... but I think that’s in French Ligue 2... which is presumably similar level to the Doc Martens Conference

Apologies double post

Edited by pete101

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Classic villareport

This is the fake VillaReport (which I’m pretty sure uses a capital i rather than a lower case L) ... which makes it even more confusing! Now there’s two accounts making stuff up ;) 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

DC United is my local club so I catch all their games. He doesn't have the legs anymore. Our pressing was non-existent with him on the floor. Notice with Derby he isn't even playing up top. They have him as a deep lying midfielder. 

Off topic but I remember seeing Rooney run down a guy breaking alone on the left, tackle him perfectly, take a few touches and put in an inch perfect pass (too deep for a cross) for a winning header at the back post. (It’s in the net!! 😂)

Sublime football. 

• Like 1

There's not much information. If true on this loan deal then does that mean our offer for Piatek is real as we can't Loan two players from the same club.

Pepe Reina: Former Liverpool keeper joins Aston Villa on loan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51072000

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I watched the obligatory YT vid of Tino Kadewere and it looks like he can play as a wide forward, as well as in the centre. He seems like a good team player too.

I wonder about Dean’s comments about PL experience. What about Benteke and this guy? Bit of PL experience (notwithstanding what we’ve already said about his current ability) and a player who might turn out to be a bit of a hidden gem?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Benteke rumours aside, what about Lawrence Shankland? Scored a hat trick today and surely wouldn’t cost many millions.  I’d be happy if he joined with another striker. 

A hat trick is one less goal than Benteke has scored in PL in last 2 and half seasons so that's a positive

So far Reina and Drinkwater in short term replacement of Heaton and McGinn seems decent business given our predicament! 

The Wesley replacement will be interesting - Benteke on loan could be likely.

But that just replaces what we’ve lost - it could be argued that we needed more attackers before the injuries so hope there’s at least one more. 

1 minute ago, nnock1984 said:

So far Reina and Drinkwater in short term replacement of Heaton and McGinn seems decent business given our predicament! 

The Wesley replacement will be interesting - Benteke on loan could be likely.

But that just replaces what we’ve lost - it could be argued that we needed more attackers before the injuries so hope there’s at least one more. 

You think Drinkwater has been brought in to replace McGinn? For me, they are completely different players, Drinkwater is a water carrier, he does the simple thing well, he sits in front of the defence and wins it. McGinn is more exciting and capable of the spectacular 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think Drinkwater has been brought in to replace McGinn? For me, they are completely different players, Drinkwater is a water carrier, he does the simple thing well, he sits in front of the defence and wins it. McGinn is more exciting and capable of the spectacular 

Well then I suppose a more apt name would be Danny Carrywater because it sure doesn't sound like he drinks much of it.

• Haha 2

I think we would have brought in an extra midfielder even if McGinn had have stayed fit, when Lansbury is getting games you know that you're weak in that area. Also Drinkwater does have some similar qualities to McGinn, they're both tenacious and have a lot of drive, and whilst Drinkwater isn't as good as attacking wise as McGinn, he's a very good passer of the football. With him it's all going to depend on whether he can back to anywhere near his old form, but if he does he'll easily be one of our better players.

• Like 1