January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 hours ago, mallett said:

Barbosa isn’t a bad idea. Has been on loan at Flamengo since January from Inter where he has been scoring nearly a goal a game. Thought that he has turned down a £19m transfer to either Crystal Palace or West Ham in favour of a permanent transfer to Flamengo. Left footed with a couple of tricks and a bit of pace so could cut in off the right for us. Only 23 but no idea what his character is like. Football wise he looks a good fit for us.

His loan ends in December too. 

Not interested in loaning young talents unless there's a option to buy.

At this stage we'd be better off looking at a more experienced forward on loan with top flight experience who is sitting around at a decent sized club and not really playing. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

What about another Brazilian,  Gabriel Barbuda. Admittedly I’ve only seen him once (just in the Libertadores), he actually did very little but got too goals and for sent off. Looks to have something about him though. His goal scoring record is class. Yes he didn’t do much at inter, but looks like he didn’t play much. Did he not settle? 

Anyone seen much of him?

Reminds me of aguero in style

He's really struggled in europe so far, barely played at Inter and more interestingly then went on loan at Benfica for 17-18 and played the grand total of one game. Usually Brazilian strikers like Jonas thrive there.

Guess he'll get another chance now in europe but he wouldn't be my first choice by a long way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Vague links to Buendia. Would love him and Cantwell but really can’t see it being possible until the summer and then only if they get relegated.

His assist record has been really good for the last year although struggled a bit in the prem so far.

I wouldn't be against that as he's a proper number 10 type with more scope to improve and we certainly need a Grealish alternative in the squad.

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's really struggled in europe so far, barely played at Inter and more interestingly then went on loan at Benfica for 17-18 and played the grand total of one game. Usually Brazilian strikers like Jonas thrive there.

Guess he'll get another chance now in europe but he wouldn't be my first choice by a long way.

His temperament and attitude is questionable as well. Might actually hinder the likes of Luiz and Wesley. 

17 hours ago, useless said:

Brentford are making a good charge for the play-offs, they're only two points off now having won five of their last six games. Would take a lot of money to get any of their better players, they want to be in the premier league for the first season in their new stadium.

We are on a bit of a role at the moment after a very poor start, our defence has just started to play as one, the addition of David Raya (goal keeeper) and Pontus Jansson has been the major factor, Pontus is not the most skilful player but he has captained the defence with the resoluteness that we were missing, only conceded 13 goals so far, and that has been the key, it has made it easier for our midfield and forwards to do their proper jobs.

The January transfer merry go round will soon be here, that's when the fun and games start, we are pushing for promotion so it will be difficult to see who, if anyone, we sell, Benrahma is slowly getting back to his old form, so he won't come cheap, Ollie Watkins is the star at the moment with 11 goals, and already has a few Premiership clubs looking at him, we have a new Turkish striker starting Jan 1st so that could change things, who knows, Villa are going through a bad patch, but what I've seen of them on TV they have been unlucky and not getting the rub of the green, I'm sure Dean will get you out of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any talk of a quiet January could still mean anywhere from 20-35 million could be spent based on our summer spending. That would likely be on 2 players probably a striker and a winger although I would also like another central midfielder who is a big physical presence with decent ball control and passing. We really lack a proper enforcer in the centre we have nakamba who is a good ball winner but we need someone to win headers and rough up smaller midfielders and make them scared to come into their territory. As I have said before I think sander berge would be a perfect fit. Big strong lad with decent skill on the ball and can run for days to help take the burden off of mcginn. Plus it gives us more options in midfield with substitutes as he can play as a defensive midfielder as well so we can bring off whichever of our midfielders is more knackered and bring on either conor or Luiz.

Again kessie from AC Milan could be a good signing or eggestein (although I suspect he would be too much). We have a very small midfield with conor being our tallest central midfielder some extra size would not go amiss. Hopefully they also bring more off ball movement as well to help us keep the ball better and make us a stronger team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love us to give Jarrod Bowen a chance. He can play out wide or down the middle so can cover a couple of roles and he's a workhorse too. Dangle that England call-up carrot in front of him and I'm sure we'd bag ourselves a real talent. 

• Like 3

I see some fans on Twitter are saying bring Benteke home.

I'm mixed about it all to be honest.

Yes I'd bring him him so long as we got him for next to nothing and it was a riskless situation on price, basically we only risk the game time on him. Of course I wouldn't just bring Benteke in, we would have to bring someone else in which then at that point that player brought in would be proven anyway, so that would leave Benteke as a second possibly third option.

1st option= big hitter proven striker.

2nd option= Benteke.

3rd option = Wesley.

Those options to me could be very interesting, now whether Benteke could take 1st place is a question, but as back up he'd be better than what we have at the moment anyway. I also think Wesley would be able to learn off Benteke and our other new unknown signing.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/bring-him-home-its-a-risk-these-villa-fans-think-former-player-would-be-the-answer-to-our-problems/

Edited by Dave-R
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Benteke is finished as a footballer. Just doesn't even seem interested anymore. Lost the hunger and desire.

Don't know you know, he may of been missing a few but he was running all over the place at palace other day, not to mention getting into dangerous positions.

I understand why some don't want him here anymore because he chose the money and went to pool. And before people say he was finished when he left us, yeah id agree but does that mean at some point he couldnt bring himself back, no one can say that for sure.

Did he leave his heart behind when he left us, no one can say, the only thing we could prob say is if he came back and did the business again for us, it would certainly say something about that wouldn't it.

People think he's finished, in some way I can understand why people would think that but he's been to long now at a couple of clubs without progress, he's the type of guy thats due for a turn around if the right club picks him up and makes him work I think Smith could make him work again.