January Transfers 2019/20

sne

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hypothetically - would you swap Kjodia for Benteke ?     

(Which could be close to what we are doing if we shift kjodia for a fee)  

yes but that's hardly a glowing review

i'd swap kodjia for glenn murray

i'd swap kodjia for gestede

**** it, i'd swap kodjia for avios points

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

I was thinking about this the other night. - I would say John Carew as the biggest signing we ever made - He came with a big reputation, and wasn't really in the twilight of his Career.

Platt, Andy Gray,  Yorke, were all young prospects  at the time of signing.

I agree with this - the Carew signing seemed massive at the time, and definitely felt like a big coup. But it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't struggled a bit at Lyon. We can't attract proven Champions League quality players unless they have run out of Champions League clubs to play for.

Edited by KentVillan

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree with this - the Carew signing seemed massive at the time, and definitely felt like a big coup. But it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't struggled a bit at Lyon.

I remember at the time I was actually disappointed we swapped Baros for Carew. 

How wrong I was :D 

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Why are we not a bigger pull for quality players with wealthy owners? We sure as hell should be, but continually linked with dross.

Guessing that being 17th in the league & 1 point off relegation doesn't exactly help. You don't get many players fighting to go to teams with a strong chance of being relegated as it would likely mean a hefty pay cut at the very least in 5 months time

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

What kind of player is he guru?

Was he England class back then or just part of an effective machine that improved him?

He was definitely England quality back then, he was very neat and tidy on the ball  Not flashy but very efficient.  I have no idea what you guys will be getting but I hope he shines for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree with this - the Carew signing seemed massive at the time, and definitely felt like a big coup. But it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't struggled a bit at Lyon. We can't attract proven Champions League quality players unless they have run out of Champions League clubs to play for.

if only we’d got Juninho when we were at a peak 20 years ago

I've had a genius idea - I reckon we should try and get Benteke back, rekindle some of that love that we shared a few seasons back. 

Imagine him and Weimann tearing up defences again having received a through-ball from Bannan.... 

Wowsa

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree with what you’ve said above. The potential thing needs to be our big selling point when we are trying to persuade players to join. I believe the board have big plans and are ambitious, so we need to sell “project Mega Villa” to prospective players and their advisers. If we can get the first big signing over the line and of course stay up, then that may encourage more players to join us on our inevitable journey to the top. With or without a theme park! 

Semantics over 90 or 100 miles and waiting lists for Season tickets aside, and I really can't be arsed to explain to Villa fans why we're a big club, you're right. Mega Villa as you put it, is and should be the aim. To take us from big, to our rightful place amongst Man City, Chelsea, Spurs etc. Clubs we've historically been a match for or superior to.

Basically, that involves money (which we now have) and not making a bollocks of it for a period of 5 years or more. Everything else is there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Hey, who d'ya think is better, Maddison or Grealish?

Until this season Maddison by a long way, The one thing that always let Grealish down was his lack of goals/assists but he is getting much more involved in the final stages of goals now so there isn't much in it now. Obviously he (Maddison) is playing in a much better team which is maybe why he doesn't get noticed quite so much game by game

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Confused 1