January Transfers 2019/20

sne

17 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

You dont stop being a big club because you're going through a relatively hard time. 

If you think you do... Congratulations, you are now in lockstep with Skysports and have been brainwashed.

Please choose from one of our top 6 bestest clubs...

Incidentally. A player is looking for a job. He doesn't give a toss who is big or not. They will go where the money is and where best suits their prospects. Whether its Leicester or Luton  Happily, Villa have megarich owners, 50, 000 supporters trying to get to each match and the biggest club for 100 miles in every direction.

So when I hear we're not a big club, I will say... Bollocks.

We're a "big club" relating to infrastructure and yes, but not in the current context of the Premier League. 

If it was an option between us and Norwich, Newcastle, Brighton, Crystal Palace, then yea, players might choose us, but wages would be a big factors in that decision. 

If it was an option between us and anyone in the top 10, then no, it's not going to be us, unless we offer astronomical wages, but then we'd be right back in 2012, offering huge wages on long term contracts to players who won't improve us significantly.  It would be a huge waste of time and money. 

We haven't got 50,000 fans waiting to get to each match either, that's hyperbole. 

And we're bigger than every club in 100 miles distance?  Also not true (draw some lines 90 miles north west).  

We've certainly got potential, but it's vital we stay up this year.  

• Like 2

Someone pretty close to the club told me 3 weeks ago Benteke was possibly coming back. I laughed it off at the time as I genuinely thought he was on the wind up. I'm starting to think this may well have been a heads up. 

Not my idea of the right signing for us if it happens but we need options, something we currently don't have. I would be dismayed if we go another week without something happening. The City game could be classed as a free game but once that's out the way we need to have our shit together for what comes next....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David-Copenhagen said:

I don't agree. He is not the main man there. They have Zaha who is the Star. i think Benteke would be good here with the crosses we provide. Wesley have not made contact with any of them. And the Euro's are coming up Benteke will be up for it. 

Messi is the star at Barca. You don't see Suarez scoring 1 a season, so this Zaha narrative is a poor excuse.

I'm undecided on Benteke myself FWIW.

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

We are not a big club anymore why would anyone want to come to a club that has spent the last couple of years in the second tier and now after gaining promotion via the back door is on the verge of relegation battle? We now quite rightly have a model we intend to stick to regarding recruitment and wages what do we have to attract quality players? We are the new Leicester only without as much money and not as good a scouting/recruitment team. 

In my lifetime, I don't remember Villa ever really being able to attract top players at their peak.

Most of the players we think of as the Villa greats of the last few decades were signed before they'd really made a name for themselves (Bosnich, Yorke, Milner, Young, Barry, Benteke) or after a career stumble (McGrath, Carew, Laursen, Merson) or came through the youth setup (Jack, Gabby).

The only players I can remember us signing where they were genuinely at their peak and maybe of interest to bigger clubs were Saunders, Friedel, Downing and Bent, and they were hardly world beaters.

So signing someone like Piatek or even Batshuayi would be a statement of intent that I don't think the club has made before in my lifetime.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We're a "big club" relating to infrastructure and yes, but not in the current context of the Premier League. 

If it was an option between us and Norwich, Newcastle, Brighton, Crystal Palace, then yea, players might choose us, but wages would be a big factors in that decision. 

If it was an option between us and anyone in the top 10, then no, it's not going to be us, unless we offer astronomical wages, but then we'd be right back in 2012, offering huge wages on long term contracts to players who won't improve us significantly.  It would be a huge waste of time and money. 

We haven't got 50,000 fans waiting to get to each match either, that's hyperbole. 

And we're bigger than every club in 100 miles distance?  Also not true (draw some lines 90 miles north west).  

We've certainly got potential, but it's vital we stay up this year.  

I agree with what you’ve said above. The potential thing needs to be our big selling point when we are trying to persuade players to join. I believe the board have big plans and are ambitious, so we need to sell “project Mega Villa” to prospective players and their advisers. If we can get the first big signing over the line and of course stay up, then that may encourage more players to join us on our inevitable journey to the top. With or without a theme park! 

Just now, KentVillan said:

In my lifetime (35 years), I don't remember Villa ever really being able to attract top players at their peak.

Most of the players we think of as the Villa greats of the last few decades were signed before they'd really made a name for themselves (Bosnich, Yorke, Milner, Young, Barry, Benteke) or after a career stumble (McGrath, Carew, Laursen, Merson) or came through the youth setup (Jack, Gabby).

The only players I can remember us signing where they were genuinely at their peak and maybe of interest to bigger clubs were Saunders, Friedel, Downing and Bent, and they were hardly world beaters.

So signing someone like Piatek or even Batshuayi would be a statement of intent that I don't think the club has made before in my lifetime.

I was thinking about this the other night. - I would say John Carew as the biggest signing we ever made - He came with a big reputation, and wasn't really in the twilight of his Career.

Platt, Andy Gray,  Yorke, were all young prospects  at the time of signing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Your first statement is an oxymoron. If he left at the first opportunity, how could he have also been trying to leave in the previous windows?

And secondly, he could've done a lot more to force the move back then. So its not just a case of him not leaving earlier because he couldn't.

His agent was trying to get him a move away from us before he left?? Then he had an offer and left at the first opportunity.. 🤨

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

BRING HIM HOME. 

(and make him good again plz)

Stop it now! I’ve been resolutely using my head to think this one through, so don’t get my stupid heart involved! He left, he won’t score the goals that he used to. Don’t even mention the Sunderland game!

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

In my lifetime, I don't remember Villa ever really being able to attract top players at their peak.

Oookay not sure why you quoted me but fill yer boots..............Batshuayi a statement?

I think it would be almost impossible in January to sign a centre forward who would be our first choice for years to come.

What we need all over the park now are stop gaps. The time for proper planning  is the summer depending on which

division we are in. For now just trying to stay in the PL is our aim without compromising our future. For this reason

Benteke on loan is a no brainer for me

Edited by pintpotvilla