January Transfers 2019/20

sne

50 minutes ago, useless said:

Ayew was actually good for us in our season with him in the premier league, got unfairly criticized just because of his sad looking countenance.

Definitely. Good player Ayew.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

The Benteke we had may not be there, yet if three quarters of that guy can be discovered again wouldn't that be worth giving him his chance??

It would still be more than what were getting now.

that's a big if...i'd be amazed if we could re discover half of it.

i would take him as the absolute 'we've asked any half decent striker to join us and they said no' last resort

At first I wasn't with the idea of Teke coming back, but alot has changed and were now desperate for three strikers because we're screwed unless we get three in this window.

We have no scorer up front, no hold up player up front, no one to cause problems period.  Kodjia can't be trusted to do his job, Davis isn't good enough, Wesley we've now lost.

And some of you fans don't want Benteke in because he's had problems elsewhere, guess what, that there not here at Villa. Our situation in a month could be we have Murray who Maupay has replaced and Murray hasnt been getting game time, Assombalonga who has been out with an ankle injury and wouldnt make it at this level, Rodriguez who many do not want here. At this moment in time the picture painted looks absoloute crap on who were bringing in.

So yes I'd rather Benteke come in than any of those or many of the links we've had, the only one I'd go for before Benteke would be Piatek, even then who's to say he will be any better.

We just do not know until any of them play really but we're going to need a few options at this rate.

• Like 2

I really hope we don't get Benteke. Watched him for Palace when he's played and he's been bloody awful, looks like he doesn't even want to be there. No wander they want to get rid of him. Not sure what's happened to him since he left us but he's a quarter of the player he once was. 

Rather see them go for that young Arsenal striker. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I feel like there's a slight possibility that he could be half decent. It's not clear to me that since his first season at Palace that he has physically declined, it appears to me to be confidence issues. Maybe, just maybe, returning to a club where he was genuinely excellent and loved by the fans could give him a bit of a spark.

I don't think I'd be against him returning on loan but would be against him signing as our only or 'main' striking option. 

There's probably something in him maybe stepping up a bit in a familiar and happier environment. But I don't think he is physically the same player we saw the best of. He's had a few injuries since he left iirc and I think that's started to take it's toll, especially as a bigger bloke.

Saying that I could see him maybe being more effective for us than he would be for Palace, but not massively. He's not going to score the goals that help us survive. He'd maybe knock in a handful, maybe, given game time and not getting injured.

As an option, on loan, supplementing another, better, player, I'd just about accept having him come here and I could maybe see him get 4 or 5 goals. But I don't see it happening - if he comes here it's to start (Palaces bench will not be all that different to ours), and I would be much happier with more or less anyone else.

I think he's pretty much done. He was great for us, although he had plenty of times where he looked a complete donkey too, and after leaving he's regressed hard, perhaps irreversibly - I'm not convinced his heart is really in it now at the tail end of a career after 4 years of misfiring and bench warming and injury.

As @Zatman said, this is only a thing for who he is. Were he anybody else, we'd be fuming over any links to strikers with his stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Such a big lad having 2 serious knee injuries and pushing 30 the odds of him being anywhere close to how we remember him is wishful thinking.

He might ship in with the odd goal, he's due for one in April. 

But that's not enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As @Zatman said, this is only a thing for who he is. Were he anybody else, we'd be fuming over any links to strikers with his stats.

Might be true, might not be. Being linked to a striker who was THAT good at some point, whether it was for us or someone else, would be attractive to many, in the hope we could reignite them.

I just can't see how we will be able to get him up to the required standard in such a short space of time. Since joining Palace his PL goals / games ratio is...

16/17 - 36 games; 15 goals

17/18 - 30 games; 3 goals

18/19 - 16 games; 1 goal

19/20 - 15 games; 0 goals

Appreciate that quite a few of the games over the last 2 seasons will be sub appearances, but it's a worrying set of stats to hang our hopes on.

Unless he is going to be 1 of 2 strikers we bring in.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I just can't see how we will be able to get him up to the required standard in such a short space of time. Since joining Palace his PL goals / games ratio is...

16/17 - 36 games; 15 goals

17/18 - 30 games; 3 goals

18/19 - 16 games; 1 goal

19/20 - 15 games; 0 goals

I really can't remember him in that 16/17 season. I thought he'd been crap for Palace since day one.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

I am sure they have in a tactical sense - but the missing ingredient is love, they can never love him as much as we would. 

Dude, really?

There is no such thing as love in football.

If you expect Benteke to make you romantically nourished, you are going to go thirsty.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly, he was one of the few who really gave a shit when we were going down and provided a few bits of quality.  Never really understood why he wasn't liked.  I would take him back but there's no chance and probably similar players out there in Europe.  I'd also happily take Benteke on loan, if he scored an early goal for us his confidence would go through the roof.  I think he is one of those players who likes being loved.  Benteke on loan and a permanent, mobile striker capable of playing wide would be decent imo.

Also swaping him for Taylor and £2m was not our finest piece of business. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

**** me did we really do that?

Taylor gets a lot of stick on here but I think he’s solid, no frills, gets his job done, doesn’t moan. Ayew on the other hand, moans until the cows come home, he has ability but he doesn’t make the most of it

• Confused 2