Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sne

January Transfers 2019/20

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Most of those goals were from 16/17 season when he was last good. It's always a risk signing a player who's gone full seasons without actually doing anything. It was with Drinkwater and it will be with Benteke if this is genuine (if it is it could well happen as Palace will want him off their books by the summer).

I agree with that but Drinkwater went to Chelsea where he clearly was never going to play many games. This season his loan to Burnley was poor imo he probably needs half a season of regular matches just to get sharp again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon we could get something out of Benteke. Would be worth a punt as a squad player if the cost/risk was minimal, and someone else was our main target. We are desperate for options, we couldn't even field a striker in the semi against Leicester, its that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We were linked to Piatek but the Sun says he is singing for Spurs. Thats Why I mentioned Spurs. Lots of papers have suggested we were seriously interested in Piatek, along with Palace and Newcastle.

Why are you so prickly?

I'm not prickly.  Maybe you're being sensitive. The links were bollocks. Football fancast website et al are not papers and they're all shit anyway. Most of signings we make since new owners are not picked up by any rumour mill merchants until it's announced by club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I reckon we could get something out of Benteke. Would be worth a punt as a squad player if the cost/risk was minimal, and someone else was our main target. We are desperate for options, we couldn't even field a striker in the semi against Leicester, its that bad.

How much per week would you pay him? He's not even worth 45k with his injury and scoring record last few years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, Benteke on loan is worth a punt as long as it's not our main option. If he's going to rediscover his form anywhere it would be here - he's clearly a confidence player and we are the only fans who have ever really loved him.

Imagine the scenes if he got a goal at the Holte End in his first game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take the Benteke who played for Villa, Liverpool and his first season at Palace.

It's a myth that he was only good at Villa - he was still a dangerous striker for a fair while after that, even if he never quite reached the heights we expected.

But the problem is he has been absolutely dreadful at Palace now for 3 seasons, and his injury record is starting to look slightly terrifying, when what we need is someone who can play 90 mins every week.

It would be a much bigger gamble than Drinkwater.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not prickly.  Maybe you're being sensitive. The links were bollocks. Football fancast website et al are not papers and they're all shit anyway. Most of signings we make since new owners are not picked up by any rumour mill merchants until it's announced by club

Why am I being sensitive? You asked me why I was discussing Spurs transfers and I explained.

The links might be bollocks, I am not defending them and I am not asserting that they are fact, never have. But if you want to be picky you similarly have no proof that the links are bollocks either, is all subjective and conjecture.

Whilst transfer secrecy is much tighter under this regime, you are wrong about most of the signings not being picked up before they were signed: Kristoff Terreur broke the Wesley deal before it was announced (albeit only shortly before), and also mentioned our interest in Nakamba at least 3 weeks before he signed. Tom Heaton was all over media before he signed; DS's son's mate announced our interest in 5 players, and I think all but Kalvin Philips ended up signing for us from his list (I can't find the tweet); Trez and Engels were mentioned loads before they actually signed. Its true that Engels, Wesley and Luiz were left field but they weren't silent until unveiled. Plenty of rumour around Drinkwater on loan before he signed.

Edited by thunderball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 'glass half full' approach to Benteke is, that when he played for us, he was the star and savior that kept us up. He had great support and that leads to confidence. Confidence is good for the head, and a good head is good for the game. Age and time aside, it could put him in a 'good place' and maybe we'll see something nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I would take the Benteke who played for Villa, Liverpool and his first season at Palace.

It's a myth that he was only good at Villa - he was still a dangerous striker for a fair while after that, even if he never quite reached the heights we expected.

But the problem is he has been absolutely dreadful at Palace now for 3 seasons, and his injury record is starting to look slightly terrifying, when what we need is someone who can play 90 mins every week.

It would be a much bigger gamble than Drinkwater.

This , last game for Palace he didn't look too bad to me  but his recent injury record is so bad its a big gamble to take him on 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hippo said:

Plaice koi over Benteke to villa rumour

FTFY

Edited by il_serpente
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Benteke is probably the best we can hope for this window.

If he's the best we can hope for we're in big trouble. I don't think he is though, at all. Why would he be?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not prickly.  Maybe you're being sensitive. The links were bollocks. Football fancast website et al are not papers and they're all shit anyway. Most of signings we make since new owners are not picked up by any rumour mill merchants until it's announced by club

It was the same sources that say we are after the ac Milan keeper. Do you believe we are after him or is that also bollocks in your view ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giroud is looking like he's heading to Inter Milan.

All these big names that were thrown around now look like they are off elsewhere, were going to end up with another striker who needs his time to be ready at this rate and we do not have that kind of time.

I wonder if us signing serious decent players was all talk for the media in this window because it doesn't feel like we're bringing in any real quality at this rate who are plug n play.

Edited by Dave-R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Giroud is looking like he's heading to Inter Milan.

All these big names that were thrown around now look like they are off elsewhere, were going to end up with another striker who needs his time to be ready at this rate and we do not have that kind of time.

I wonder if us signing serious decent players was all talk for the media in this window because it doesn't feel like we're bringing in any real quality at this rate who are plug n play.

Drinkwater?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

It was the same sources that say we are after the ac Milan keeper. Do you believe we are after him or is that also bollocks in your view ? 

Hopefully bollocks. Don't want Reina on huge wages when Nyland is playing well. It's possible we are looking at Reina and Suso meeting someone so Villa need striker. Suso meeting Milan reps. Villa signing Piatek. Made up rumour in a few easy steps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I wonder if us signing serious decent players was all talk for the media in this window

I'm not trying to be rude but this happens every season for decades. I said a few days ago Giroud has played for 2 London clubs he'll go to Inter. I remember reading article over 10 years ago with transfer rumour accuracy from UK papers and highest was like 37% and Sun around 10% and with proliferation of Twitter and teenager blogs with Football in the title it's only got worse

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanVillan said:

My 'glass half full' approach to Benteke is, that when he played for us, he was the star and savior that kept us up. He had great support and that leads to confidence. Confidence is good for the head, and a good head is good for the game. Age and time aside, it could put him in a 'good place' and maybe we'll see something nice.

Exactly - but i just think he is not on our radar 

 

Yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hopefully bollocks. Don't want Reina on huge wages when Nyland is playing well. It's possible we are looking at Reina and Suso meeting someone so Villa need striker. Suso meeting Milan reps. Villa signing Piatek. Made up rumour in a few easy steps

Depends if they have a buyer for Kalinic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nyland was a fookin' disaster in the Championship last season.  I don't want to count on him because he had one good performance before his season ending injury last year and has had one good performance so far this season.  He was so far out of his element last year that Smith couldn't wait to get another goalkeeper in BEFORE the window even opened last January.  I'm glad Nyland now actually looks like he has played football before, but Reina is still in another class above.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â