January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

said in the summer, and it might be cutting your nose off to spite your face, **** him, he's currently doing what every man and his dog knew he would be doing, struggling to warm utd's bench let alone get many games, whilst donkeys like jones get picked ahead of him, we were interested in him in the summer and he chose utd over us, chose the pay rise and now if we were to go in for him utd have the power to increase his price to over £20m

walk away like a jilted lover

I don't really think it's fair to begrudge him giving it a go to force his way into the side of his boyhood club that for what it's worth are a far bigger club than Villa. Also worth noting that they wanted to keep him/we weren't budging on our then stance of not signing anyone on loan, so there's a bit more to it than just saying he didn't chose us. 

If he was fit I really don't think Jones would be playing ahead of him. Your post kind of reads the same as those who laughed off Tammy wanting to try to be a success at Chelsea, and that went well...

Serious question: what do these Jimmy McCann types get out of making up ITK info on football transfers?

He clearly isn’t trying to wind people up, but he is totally clueless, and he’s been doing it for a long time. Am I missing some kind of clever money spinning wheeze here? Or is it just attention?

Maybe worth a reminder that the well known ‘semi retired football agent Jimmy McCann’ announced we had signed Jack Butland in the summer, amongst other serious credibility issues he has. All he does is take real journos info and then try to announce a signing just before it’s rumoured to happen anyway. He is also a Villa fan (he accidentally gave that away in a tweet) so he will be more alert than most fake agents to Villa stories but he knows nothing. 

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Serious question: what do these Jimmy McCann types get out of making up ITK info on football transfers?

He clearly isn’t trying to wind people up, but he is totally clueless, and he’s been doing it for a long time. Am I missing some kind of clever money spinning wheeze here? Or is it just attention?

Attention for sure but he also had people sending him money (£5) by PayPal to join a fantasy league that he would distribute prizes..

16 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I don't really think it's fair to begrudge him giving it a go to force his way into the side of his boyhood club that for what it's worth are a far bigger club than Villa. Also worth noting that they wanted to keep him/we weren't budging on our then stance of not signing anyone on loan, so there's a bit more to it than just saying he didn't chose us. 

If he was fit I really don't think Jones would be playing ahead of him. Your post kind of reads the same as those who laughed off Tammy wanting to try to be a success at Chelsea, and that went well...

Different, Tammy was off to Chelsea to be their main striker, was always the case thanks to the ban, he went back to utd as 6th choice, it's not a case of Jones ahead of him, throw in lindelhof and bailly too, he's not 3rd choice even now he's 5th, with then rojo and smalling still on the books

He won't break through under ole, he shouldn't have signed a new contract there, I have little sympathy who players who get the chance to move on and then don't

2 minutes ago, Elton said:

Attention for sure but he also had people sending him money (£5) by PayPal to join a fantasy league that he would distribute prizes..

Ah yeah I’d forgotten about this. Surely not worth all the effort though. What a strange man.

• Like 1

Only thing that annoys me about the piatek link is it highlights how abhorenntly shocking our scouting is. I mean he's a great talent. Looks the real deal but moves to Genoa from a polish club for 4 million. We are pissing money away on shite is what we've done.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Only thing that annoys me about the piatek link is it highlights how abhorenntly shocking out scouting is. I mean he's a great talent. Looks the real deal but moves to Genoa from a polish club for 4 million. We are pissing money away on shite is what we've done.

What...like a McGinn?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Only thing that annoys me about the piatek link is it highlights how abhorenntly shocking our scouting is. I mean he's a great talent. Looks the real deal but moves to Genoa from a polish club for 4 million. We are pissing money away on shite is what we've done.

Exactly, instead we get people like tonev..

14 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

At £4 million you’re buying potential and at a big risk. Sometimes they work out, like John McGinn, but often they don’t or at least take time and patience to develop. I think we have the set up now to develop players but instant hits and guaranteed bargains are very few and far between. 

In theory the more you spend on a player the lower the risk and generally means they have already developed to some extent and are on the radar of most clubs. It’s never an exact science and I’d imagine there are very few gems that are under the radar and most clubs have and army of scouts looking for the next one. I’d agree with you that our scouting system has been diabolical for years, but like a lot of things under the new ownership it is in development stage itself. I’d image a top network of scouts takes years to put together. 

I once met a man who’s father had found George Best for United. He was so well thought of that even after all those years Fergie regularly visited his Dad in hospital and attended his funeral. His son still got on with Fergie well and he would always get him tickets for games when he was over from Ireland. I’m fact Fergie discovered that this guy was occasionally struggling to get tickets as he didn’t get over that often and so gave him his personal mobile number and said just call me if you have any further problems. That’s how rare and highly prized a top scout is. 

• Like 1

I've always wondered whether they actually use tools like the football manager game. I know they aren't always showing the potential the game indicates, like Okore, but surely if you assemble a list of 50 big talents there, have a proper scouting due diligence done, you can probably find a proper bargain? Then again what do I know. 

I just remember I was fascinated of Sandro Tonali a few years ago. Can't remember the club he played for, but it was a shit Italian one. I decided to watch a match he played and I instantly thought he had something about him. He hasn't moved since then I think, but now apparantly Juventus is sniffing around. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara