January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Dream window:

INS:
Batshuayi - Loan with a £30m option to buy
Bowen/Benrahma/Pedro - £20m/£20m/£5m
Tuanzebe - Loan or buy                              2xmidfielder who can do a job - <£20m  for both          A keeper as cheap as chips         

OUTS:

Taylor - Sold
Kodjia - whatever we can get for him like £3-5m
Kalinic - £3-4m
Vassilev - Loan
Ramsey - Loan #AVFC                                                            Hogan- sold                                                                              Davis - sold

Edited by Dave-R

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I really don’t like the idea of Bowen. His championship goal record is akin to the likes of Kodjia and a pre-Villa Hogan. 

This is my concern as well - but I think the positive thing is he can play out wide as well. So if he’s also an option to play with Jack behind another striker as well as an option up front, it’s less of a worry (or gives him an extra chance of success). If we get him we should also be trying to get someone established at this level on loan.

Weren’t Watford in the PL when we signed Ashley Young from them too? Nitpicking really as I agree with the sentiment that there are many good players in the Championship.

Edited by alreadyexists

Football in the Championship is terrible quality, however, it's proven there are very good players there - only recently there have been some nice players coming from there - Maddison obviously, Mount, Konsa, Webster, Maupay, etc.

I think Bowen would be no more of a risk than these to make the step up, he certainly has more to his game than Hogan ever did and has done it over a few seasons. Problem is Villa have too many holes to fill and might not be willing to engage in a bidding war for him. If we didn't have all these injuries and only needed a couple of players, sure, but things have changed unfortunately. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

I really don’t like the idea of Bowen. His championship goal record is akin to the likes of Kodjia and a pre-Villa Hogan. We shouldn’t be looking in that league IMO. Grabban is an absolute goal machine in that league which says everything. No good seems to come from championship signings. 

Bowen doesn't play in the same position as Grabban, Kodjia or Hogan though. He'd be a wide player that can actually score a few goals for us.

My only reservation is how quick he is. I still think a trickier winger like Benrahma would be better as it would offer us something different.

Signing both would be great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Alot of pressure on whoever comes here for the striker position in particular, that is why i feel we need experience in this case, everyone seems to fall short. Same for wingers, experience at playing against this leagues clubs is now vital to us, yet we also need someone who can actually put crosses in front of our striker.

This maybe a time that we need to bring in players who are apart of this league or have have danced in it. I feel like if we go dipping into leagues that are world's apart from the premier, we will just continue to struggle more and be in so much trouble that we may as well get used to the idea of championship football now.

Excellent summary Dave of where our Jan strategy needs to be. Agree 100%....no time for players to step up and develop....plug and play as DS has said 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Bowen doesn't play in the same position as Grabban, Kodjia or Hogan though. He'd be a wide player that can actually score a few goals for us.

My only reservation is how quick he is. I still think a trickier winger like Benrahma would be better as it would offer us something different.

I have my reservations about Bowen too. I’m not quite sure what it is but he just seems to lack PL quality. Benrahma on the other hand looks like a ready made PL player to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Pace is an absolute must for us either up top or out wide.....for years we have had very little in our team. 

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

I really don’t like the idea of Bowen. His championship goal record is akin to the likes of Kodjia and a pre-Villa Hogan. We shouldn’t be looking in that league IMO. Grabban is an absolute goal machine in that league which says everything. No good seems to come from championship signings. 

I agree that there is a risk, as we've shown in the past with Hogan and McCormack, but there is also the odd Maupay and Madison to be had. 

My worry on Bowen is also his pace. He’s looked fairly laboured whenever I’ve seen him play, and he seems to get a lot of goals through graft alone. That’s not a bad thing though, as someone like Milner has made a career out of grafting, but one of my concerns with our team is a lack of pace, and Bowen wouldn’t fix that.

I wonder how Trezeguet would do in the Championship. He seems like a similar player to Bowen to me. Maybe I’m being harsh on the latter.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say his goals are just down to graft - just go and watch some of his highlights. Positions himself well, good movement off the ball, good touch, comfy with the ball at his feet and a hell of a shot on him. He's not Usain Bolt but he's no slouch either. Think he'd be a huge upgrade on our wing options right now. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wouldn’t sell Taylor either. There’s an argument he is a better player than Targett.

I don’t think either of them are real quality at the moment, but Targett probably has more potential for improvement. However Taylor is generally more solid as a defender. Despite his attacking play bring poor, he does take up good positions. The problem is he doesn’t seem to know what to do when he gets there and his crossing is rubbish. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I wouldn't say his goals are just down to graft - just go and watch some of his highlights. Positions himself well, good movement off the ball, good touch, comfy with the ball at his feet and a hell of a shot on him. He's not Usain Bolt but he's no slouch either. Think he'd be a huge upgrade on our wing options right now. 

I’m not saying he’s all graft and no ability, just that a lot of his game seems to be about tenacity and workrate, or at least it’s always seemed like one of his best attributes, when I’ve seen him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Dream window:

INS:
Batshuayi - Loan with a £30m option to buy
Bowen/Benrahma/Pedro - £20m/£20m/£5m
Tuanzebe - Loan or buy                              2xmidfielder who can do a job - <£20m  for both          A keeper as cheap as chips         

OUTS:

Taylor - Sold
Kodjia - whatever we can get for him like £3-5m
Kalinic - £3-4m
Vassilev - Loan
Ramsey - Loan #AVFC                                                            Hogan- sold                                                                              Davis - sold

You want to sell all 3 of our forwards who aren't out for the season and replace them with 1 forward for the remainder of the season ?