January Transfers 2019/20

sne

53 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Michel Vorm - Spurs. It seems like it's been a while since he's played.

Spurs just re-signed him to cover Lloris injury. He is practically retired at this stage 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Meeting owners tonight???

Should have been meeting the recruitment team for weeks before the window opened to identify what we need........

Ideally we needed the new signings in this week......

I imagine they had a plan in place but that has to change due to the recent injuries?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/03/aston-villa-double-injury-blow-wesley-tom-heaton-ruled-out-season-football

Villa boss Dean Smith will hold transfer talks with chief executive Christian Purslow after losing Heaton and Wesley. The pair will sit down on Friday with sporting director Suso to discuss their January plans now Heaton and Wesley are out for the season with knee injuries.

“We’ve got business planned, that’ll continue. I’m sitting down tonight with Christian and Suso to see what this changes for us. It’ll hasten what we do in the market,” said Smith, before Saturday’s FA Cup third-round trip to Fulham. “The recruitment side won’t change from what we were looking at before.”

By Smith's quotes in the Guardian it safe to say we were looking at some players anyway, the injuries have just speeded things up, I can't imagine we were looking at keepers before the Heaton injury though so maybe we are going to keep faith with Nyland?

• Like 1

Bowen and Batshuayi sorted early would be a cracking bit of business. 

Unless Chelsea are bringing in another striker, I can't imagine them giving us Giroud as well and I think I would rather have have Batshuayi over Giroud. 

Heaton is a bit of a conundrum injury. Difficult to see whether we need to sign anyone or not and January is not a good time to look at signing a long term replacement for him. It may be putting some feelers out and seeing how Nyland does over the next few games. It could be that Smith feels we can manage for the rest of the season.

15 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/03/aston-villa-double-injury-blow-wesley-tom-heaton-ruled-out-season-football

By Smith's quotes in the Guardian it safe to say we were looking at some players anyway, the injuries have just speeded things up, I can't imagine we were looking at keepers before the Heaton injury though so maybe we are going to keep faith with Nyland?

In the full interview he says an extra sentence after the “The recruitment side won’t change from what we were looking at before” quote. He then says something along the lines of "but now we'll just need a few extra additions".

The first quote is him basically saying that we'll still be going for whichever targets we'd identified before the Burnley game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Apparently we are odds on to sign Bowen?

I think these markets are tiny though so it only takes a few hundred quid being bet to completely swing the odds. Same with new manager betting.

Question for anyone who has watched him play more than I have - is Bowen quick? He’s clearly a fantastic goal scorer but I would really like us to have a winger (and new striker) with a bit of pace so we can open the game up a bit more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

In the full interview he says an extra sentence after the “The recruitment side won’t change from what we were looking at before” quote. He then says something along the lines of "but now we'll just need a few extra additions".

The first quote is him basically saying that we'll still be going for whichever targets we'd identified before the Burnley game.

That does make sense I guess, we were already looking for a striker before the Burnley game and I just don't see us signing another keeper, not unless we sell Kalinic as well. So we'll battle on with Nyland and another keeper and maybe Steer (I have no idea how long he is out for)

I guess any hope that this season wasn't going be stressful is gone, buckle yourselves in my friends this is the longest roller coaster known to man it we'll end in May unless we crash before then 😨

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

We're going to be spending a bit again then by the looks of it. Thank God for NSWE.

it really could be the difference. bournemouth and burnley wont spend much if anything and norwich are taking the prem money and running

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it really could be the difference. bournemouth and burnley wont spend much if anything and norwich are taking the prem money and running

With the likely sales of Cantwell, Buendia and possibly Aarons if he regains some form a relegated Norwich could have a serious war chest to get back up in the next few seasons.

49 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

Probably more in terms of replacements for Wesley and Heaton, they've probably already discussed their existing requirements. 

I think Wesley's replacement will have been discussed in depth over the last few weeks (months?).

Heaton has thrown a spanner in the works big time though I should imagine! Can't call that one but feel they may take stick with Nyland and recall Sarkic, then look at a long term Heaton replacement come the summer. 

41 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The only thing that will slow anything down is negotiations as other clubs will take the p1ss knowing our plight 

Yep all our targets have just had 10% added to there value!

• Thanks 1

x1 experienced striker - loan till end of season (Giroud perfect) and then put off new permanent striker till summer

x1 Bowen

x1 Vida

Stick with current keepers and pray. 

£18-£20 mill spend. Offset with £4mill for Kodjia, £2mill for Kallinic and some cash back on insurance for injuries. Plus whatever pennies are down the back of the sofa.