Jump to content

January Transfers 2019/20


Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

Re FFP, the soundbites are from next season or the season after they (the premier league) might start to give out points deductions. I say go on a mad splurge now for survival with the added bonus the players will be ready for next season too where we can look at the mid table / upper mid table. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Re FFP, the soundbites are from next season or the season after they (the premier league) might start to give out points deductions. I say go on a mad splurge now for survival with the added bonus the players will be ready for next season too where we can look at the mid table / upper mid table. 

Found Peter Ridsdale.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just think back to the summer.....talk of 25m bid for him. Loads on here say get it done as he'd be a bargain for ten years and be England squad regular. My take at the time was he was overrated and nothing he's done this season has disproved that. Would've been another highly priced signing who wouldn't have made a huge difference imo.

We got Heaton for pretty much a third of what we would've paid for Butland and he's been as good as I thought he'd be bar his home debut.

He's looked really shaky this season, but before we get too 'I told you so', it could be down to a total lack of confidence. He's in a Stoke team that he took down from the Prem, and has had loads of bad games and embarrassing moments for, so I can't imagine that the team in front of him are too confident in his ability, which, in-turn, isn't going to do him any good either.

£25m now looks steep, but had we got him, he might have looked like a completely different Butland. I'm sure he's still good enough for a lower Prem team (with a confidence boost and a half-competent defence in front of him!). You don't usually get in and around the England set-up if you haven't got some ability.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been hit with a triple injury blow to regular 1st teamers, integral 1st teamers. We needed 2, maybe 3, signings before the injuries, so now we’ve been forced to do something more drastic this January window. I’d have GK as the least of the concerns at this moment, we absolutely have to get at least one CF, at least one CM, and a RWF. That’s our minimum need, and they’ve all got to be good enough to go straight into the team. I’d imagine the owners will recognise the requirement to spend heavily if the opportunities present themselves for the right players this window, we’re a Grealish injury away from a full blown injury crisis that would take us down. We simply have to try to cover that possibility, and that is what makes me believe that the owners will look at this situation pragmatically and get the cheque book out when required. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My list of priorities would be:

CF > GK > Winger > CM

With the new 3-4-3 that we've switched to, you'd think we'd have sufficient options at CM now, and our pool of CBs is also quite healthy.

I can't see how we can reasonably put GK to the bottom of our priorities though. GK is such a vital position for a team fighting relegation. How many times has Heaton saved us in games this season? If your team hasn't got confidence in your keeper, then you've lost the game before you've even kicked off.

I'm seeing a lot of people putting faith in Nyland, but are his 2-3 appearances this season really enough for us to be confident that he wont revert back to the keeper of last year that barely looked League One quality?

I'd really like us to loan a keeper, so that we have another option. Then when Steer is back in February time, we'll look in a much better place.

Possible available keepers:

Begovic - On loan at Qarabag, but reportedly wants to come back to England. The only problem is that he belongs to Bournemouth, and I doubt they'll want to help a relegation rival.

Scott Carson - At Man City. I don't know if he'd be an improvement on Nyland though.

Michel Vorm - Spurs. It seems like it's been a while since he's played.

Stekelenburg - Everton. He doesn't get a look in there, and isn't a bad keeper. Ancelotti is taking them away from danger, so maybe they wouldn't see us as a direct rival.

I dunno. I hope Smith and his team have a plan that is better than just relying on Nyland to play well, and for Sarkic to be back-up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Tweets this morning.

interesting he’s meeting with owners this evening 

Meeting owners tonight???

Should have been meeting the recruitment team for weeks before the window opened to identify what we need........

Ideally we needed the new signings in this week......

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be an interesting window, we have obvious needs but I would imagine not a whole lot of hard cash we can throw at it due to FFP.

In the summer it felt like we'd managed to do the work of three transfer windows in one, and probably weren't expecting to be so busy in January, but 3 key injuries later and here we are.

Striker has to be the priority, we don't have enough options as is and the options we do have aren't good enough to keep us up, I think that's pretty clear to everyone. A Batshuayi loan seems to suit all parties, but it will be interesting to see if we can convince them to put an option to buy clause in there and if so at a sensible price, it's the kind of thing that could hold up the transfer and we really don't have the time to mess around with this one.

Keeper is a curious one, I wouldn't be too surprised if we put our faith in Nyland, at least until Steer is back, it feels like a bit of risk but it will be difficult to bring in another Keeper of Heatons level and influence during this window, especially on loan which would be our preference. Buying a keeper in the middle of the season is rarely ideal as it takes a while for them to build up the chemistry with the defence in front of them so we may be better off sticking with what we have, but much will depend on who is available, just please not Joe Hart...

Midfield is an area of the squad where we are strong and as the new formation only requires 2 central midfielders I can't see us bringing anyone in here, unless the perfect deal drops in our lap, you never know, but I don't think Drinkwater is a good idea, hopefully that's just paper talk. 

I think we will be in the market for a winger/second striker type player, gives us a bit more flexibility and takes some of the pressure off El Ghazi and Trezegeut. I'd love Benrhama, but it's not a deal I can see happening in this window, Bowen again would be nice, but won't come cheap. I'm not sure what the other options are but we definitely need something here.

Thought Smith, Purslow and Pitarch did a great job in the summer, they have their work cut out again now so let's see what they come up with! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Meeting owners tonight???

Should have been meeting the recruitment team for weeks before the window opened to identify what we need........

Ideally we needed the new signings in this week......

...meeting the owners. The owners are not the recruitment team. I highly doubt NSWE are searching through their LinkedIn profiles to find players to poach. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Meeting owners tonight???

Should have been meeting the recruitment team for weeks before the window opened to identify what we need........

Ideally we needed the new signings in this week......

Probably more in terms of replacements for Wesley and Heaton, they've probably already discussed their existing requirements. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Meeting owners tonight???

Should have been meeting the recruitment team for weeks before the window opened to identify what we need........

Ideally we needed the new signings in this week......

I don't think it is that urgent - we have a cup game next which has no bearing on PL survival - nor does the league cup match v Leicester - then we have Man city - were we ever getting  anything ? (be nice but probably not) - the next 2 Brighton and Watford are where we need points - and any new players in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, chips'ngravy said:

Giroud on loan just seems like the most obvious fit for both parties at the moment. Plus he hasn't played in the league cup.

i'd be well happy with him...always used to score against us. great player

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

My list of priorities would be:

CF > GK > Winger > CM

With the new 3-4-3 that we've switched to, you'd think we'd have sufficient options at CM now, and our pool of CBs is also quite healthy.

I can't see how we can reasonably put GK to the bottom of our priorities though. GK is such a vital position for a team fighting relegation. How many times has Heaton saved us in games this season? If your team hasn't got confidence in your keeper, then you've lost the game before you've even kicked off.

I'm seeing a lot of people putting faith in Nyland, but are his 2-3 appearances this season really enough for us to be confident that he wont revert back to the keeper of last year that barely looked League One quality?

I'd really like us to loan a keeper, so that we have another option. Then when Steer is back in February time, we'll look in a much better place.

Possible available keepers:

Begovic - On loan at Qarabag, but reportedly wants to come back to England. The only problem is that he belongs to Bournemouth, and I doubt they'll want to help a relegation rival.

Scott Carson - At Man City. I don't know if he'd be an improvement on Nyland though.

Michel Vorm - Spurs. It seems like it's been a while since he's played.

Stekelenburg - Everton. He doesn't get a look in there, and isn't a bad keeper. Ancelotti is taking them away from danger, so maybe they wouldn't see us as a direct rival.

I dunno. I hope Smith and his team have a plan that is better than just relying on Nyland to play well, and for Sarkic to be back-up. 

Think we should have gone for Perin, the Juventus number 2 we were linked to in summer, but he's gone to Genoa on loan now. 

 

Begovic, Vorm and Stekelenburg all used to be good, but not any more. I'd be nervous if we were reliant on them in goal. 

 

Been linked with Butland again, I used to rate him highly but he's been poor for a while now. Due to that though it might mean his price has gone down. 

 

Need to be doing a thorough search in this area I'd say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â