January Transfers 2019/20

sne

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The way liverpool play 3 up front, who are 3 strikers but any can also act as wingers or IF, almost feels like it's a nee role name...

Like....

Stringers?

:)

Swingers is better

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Why are people hating Taremi's highlights? The video I saw wasn't bad at all - powerful finisher, good movement. 

I thought the highlights are fine, good in fact. At least as good as any other we’ve seen.

His record is good too, will reserve judgment until (if) we see him play for us

• Like 1

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's actually not the video I saw, but I still think he looks bang average. And that's bang average in a league where Hogan would score 40 goals. 

He is average. Like I say, this is the sort of signing I'd expect in the Championship.

• Like 1

He's got a very good and consistent goal scoring rate. Definitely above average. Granted he's played in weaker leagues than the Premier League and who knows how his scoring would translate (as always), but you can only score against what's in front of you. And he has.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He is average. Like I say, this is the sort of signing I'd expect in the Championship.

Does this knowledge come from watching the Iranian league, the Qatari league, his handful of games for Rio Ave or Football Manager?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

The way liverpool play 3 up front, who are 3 strikers but any can also act as wingers or IF, almost feels like it's a nee role name...

Like....

Stringers?

:)

Winkers is better. Come to think of it, I've always thought of Liverpool as a bunch of winkers 😉

• Haha 1

There are many factors to be taken into consideration with every signing. At Rio Ave, they've scored 20 goals this season in 17 games, which isn't a lot. Apparently, he's played 54% of the total minutes the team has but with 6 goals and 5 assists, he's been involved in more than half of their goals.

The Portuguese league isn't bad and he's done pretty damn well so far. I'd definitely sign him if we could get him for a similar price to Samatta. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

We're not in the market for £30m odd players at the mo. We're after bargains and loans. Samatta is likely the biggest signing we'll make, and given that 8.5m isn't the biggest fee in the world, that should give you an idea of the ponds we're fishing in.

I just hope they’re not carp. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

The sarcasm from myself and many other people is because of the following:

Do you really think that the club don't know this?

Do you really think that the club aren't trying?

Do you really think people at the club are that incompetent they don't know they've got to get a signing in?

Or do you think its possible that they're trying their best with what's available and players that will want to come to us that fit with our model, rather than buying the overpriced Journeyman trash that we have been buying in the past that has got us into the position we are in.

You have asked 4 questions. Of these, questions 1 and 3 are the same, but the answers to the first two questions you have asked are obviously what you want them to be, ie 'no' and 'no'. The problem here is not that they don't know the problem, or can't be arsed to try. The problem is that their efforts - 'trying their best' or otherwise - have been unsuccessful. Opposition teams are not going to take pity on us because we're 'trying our best'. So far, the fixture list has arguably been in our favour, in that we'd probably have lost to City regardless and a point at Brighton isn't the worst result (although it isn't the best either, obviously). 

As I've said before, there are people at this club being paid very large wages to get recruitment right. They will be judged on the only outcome that really matters, which is whether or not we stay up at the end of the season, and to be honest if we get relegated 'I tried my best' isn't going to be adequate as an excuse. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You have asked 4 questions. Of these, questions 1 and 3 are the same, but the answers to the first two questions you have asked are obviously what you want them to be, ie 'no' and 'no'. The problem here is not that they don't know the problem, or can't be arsed to try. The problem is that their efforts - 'trying their best' or otherwise - have been unsuccessful. Opposition teams are not going to take pity on us because we're 'trying our best'. So far, the fixture list has arguably been in our favour, in that we'd probably have lost to City regardless and a point at Brighton isn't the worst result (although it isn't the best either, obviously). 

As I've said before, there are people at this club being paid very large wages to get recruitment right. They will be judged on the only outcome that really matters, which is whether or not we stay up at the end of the season, and to be honest if we get relegated 'I tried my best' isn't going to be adequate as an excuse. 

But there are so many factors.

Maybe the recruitment team did try their best - and brought in best available players at those prices. 

BUT we had 4/5 VAR decisions cost us points at the start of the season.
BUT we had major injuries to key players.
BUT maybe Smith played wrong tactics in some games
BUT if we signed more established players, obvious targets, maybe we would have gone down anyway with a crazy wage bill that would see us down like Leeds or Portsmouth.

We are talking about a major sports brand with very successful and knowledgeable people at the top. I am more likely to trust them than someone on an internet forum who probably should be at work now and is posting from trap nr 3 somewhere on Colmore Row. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taermi video shows some good instincts and movement. Slow decision making though when he rounded the keeper it took a while to ready himself for the shot. And that high kick one should've been a header and a miracle it went in.

Doesn't look a disaster though. Look I'd obviously prefer Giroud or Batshuayi. Taremi won't keep us up but he's the kind of signing we'd wanted our scouting network to make for a while. Not his fault some of the more recent signings we've made haven't worked out yet. Doesn't mean he won't...

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It should be, though. We came up as the worst side to be in the Premier League (playoff win) and then had to buy almost an entirely new squad. 

Being in 18th position after 23 games and one point from safely isn’t the worst.  The ultimate aim for this season should be 17th place. 

Those seem like two different arguments. Your second line I completely agree with! The season is not even close to over, we are very much in touch, we now have a striker who may turn out to be good, and hope is very far from lost. 

The problem for me is the first line. I'm sure the target set at the start of the season was to stay up as a minimum. Failing to do so will be a failure, however difficult the task was, and in the review of PL 19/20 that we would/will have afterwards, recruitment will rightly be one of the areas looked at. 

Given that the simple transfer of a English 16 yr old, for relative peanuts, from a club happy to lose him, to a club where his former coach works and that his family support is still taking over a week to complete, I think it's unsurprising that top class forwards / first team starters have taken a bit longer.  IMO.

• Like 2