January Transfers 2019/20

sne

If samatta signs, still 4 more signings required.

Another forward

Another wide player

Another CB (so hause can cover for left back if targett is out) 

Another midfielder ideally a big fast tackling midfielder

Dont mind their age or if on loan as long as they are decent quality can head the ball/ actually tackle and want to play

13 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

If samatta signs, still 4 more signings required.

Another forward

Another wide player

Another CB (so hause can cover for left back if targett is out) 

Another midfielder ideally a big fast tackling midfielder

Dont mind their age or if on loan as long as they are decent quality can head the ball/ actually tackle and want to play

We’re not going to sign another 5 players after the 2 that have come in. 

• Like 4

On the subject of possible departures, I find it amazing Kalinic is still here. We seem so willing to take a loss on him and he's still an international keeper, but there's not even rumours about him leaving, and he's now technically 6th choice! I actually feel sorry for the guy.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If Samatta comes in it'll be 1 more max, on loan or bloody cheap. This is a window of papering over cracks, not full on renovation.

It has to be really. Renovations happen in the summer we just need to do enough to stay up and then build from there.

4 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

On the subject of possible departures, I find it amazing Kalinic is still here. We seem so willing to take a loss on him and he's still an international keeper, but there's not even rumours about him leaving, and he's now technically 6th choice! I actually feel sorry for the guy.

I wouldn't, leaving us for a mid to low table team in Italy or france would involve a pay cut, theres every danger he's had offers from elsewhere but is happy making his retirement plans, I might be wrong but I don't Croatia has great depth at GK so his euros place is safe

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I wouldn't, leaving us for a mid to low table team in Italy or france would involve a pay cut, theres every danger he's had offers from elsewhere but is happy making his retirement plans, I might be wrong but I don't Croatia has great depth at GK so his euros place is safe

I mean if the guy is happy just picking up his money and not paying then I've no sympathy for him, but the impression I got when he joined us was that this was his big chance in England and he wanted to seize it. Going from 1st to 6th choice in a calendar year must be pretty demoralising. That said, there's plenty of players who are happy to just sit on a bench or in the reserves collecting wages, and if he's one of those then my sympathy would evaporate.

I thought the word on Kalinic was that he was homesick / unsettled in the area. I don’t think English clubs will touch him as a result and that rules out clubs who can match his wages with us. I don’t think a massive club in Europe is going to come in for him. 

How many years are left on his contract?

What was needed this month:

2 x strikers (one of whom needed to be a proven goalscorer)
At least one winger (with pace)
A tall, powerful centre mid to beef up our kitten like midfield
A decent attacking left back (Targett is a sicknote and Taylor is nowhere near the standard needed)
An experienced, technically good central defender (IMO so that Mings could potentially move to the LCB spot instead of Hause)
An experienced GK to replace Heaton

What we'll get:

Slimani at a guess (jury is out on whether you think he's proven - certainly not ripped it up in this league)
Samatta (unproven)
Drinkwater (massive gamble and not the type we needed IMO)
Reina ✔️

The likes of Bowen, Nzonzi, Vida, Callejon etc are wishful thinking.  Been there, got the t-shirt, they ain't happening folks.  Which is a shame because some of those signings would give us a real chance of staying up.

Slimani and Samatta could be good, and at least it gives us something different up front other than **** all.

Bowen is the one that we should be pushing for though. £5m loan fee then give Hull £10m if we stay up. No loss to them really and not exactly a huge financial risk for us.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I thought the word on Kalinic was that he was homesick / unsettled in the area. I don’t think English clubs will touch him as a result and that rules out clubs who can match his wages with us. I don’t think a massive club in Europe is going to come in for him. 

How many years are left on his contract?

I've just goggled it and he signed a 4.5 year deal when he signed, so he has 3 and a half years left! 😱

18 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

What was needed this month:

2 x strikers (one of whom needed to be a proven goalscorer)
At least one winger (with pace)
A tall, powerful centre mid to beef up our kitten like midfield
A decent attacking left back (Targett is a sicknote and Taylor is nowhere near the standard needed)
An experienced, technically good central defender (IMO so that Mings could potentially move to the LCB spot instead of Hause)
An experienced GK to replace Heaton

What we'll get:

Slimani at a guess (jury is out on whether you think he's proven - certainly not ripped it up in this league)
Samatta (unproven)
Drinkwater (massive gamble and not the type we needed IMO)
Reina ✔️

The likes of Bowen, Nzonzi, Vida, Callejon etc are wishful thinking.  Been there, got the t-shirt, they ain't happening folks.  Which is a shame because some of those signings would give us a real chance of staying up.

If we have secured Samatta, Reina, Slimani, & Drinkwater with the best part of 2wks of the January window left then that’s not too shabby at all. It means a little bit of pressure is taken away and there’s time left for, possibly, the one or two late surprises that a few of us have hoped for. It removes any outright desperation going into the last week and allows the negotiating team to perhaps fully focus on a target they really want. We’ll have to wait and see. I’d personally want a big, powerful CM along the lines of Nzonzi as a bit of icing on the January window cake.