January Transfers 2019/20

sne

19 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

No idea if these are made up links from agents to push players that wouldn't be good enough or genuine leaks suggesting we are looking at some cheaper options to bolster the squad while saving any big signings for the summer, but today I've seen links with:

Nicolas Gaitan as a wing option on a free. 31, but if the wages weren't stupid (coming from MLS so probably wouldn't be) he might agree to a 1 year or 18 month contract. I only know of him as I remember buying him on Football Manager from Benfica and he was a beast.

Christoph Monschein from Austria Wien. A 27 year old striker with 13 goals in 18 appearances this year. The 'report' (to be taken with a shovel of salt) suggests they need money so he could be available for 5m euros.

spacer.png?

@romavillan

My bad - it was in the dreadful Birmingham Mail.

I did see this morning that the Gaitan link was reported in the Guardian, whereas Monschein is only linked through all the vague copy paste sites.

It will be interesting to see if either turn out to be true. While the Guardian are more legit generally, I'd think they are much more likely to have information fed to them that could come from agents. A lot of our summer signing were originally linked (if at all) from some slightly odd sources.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

The club should very much be putting the messages out we're not after anyone.

Keep current players happy and don't raise the price for anyone who knows we're desperate for a striker and winger.

• Like 1

Can't even really find a YouTube video of Monschein, just a clip of a few of his goals amongst the others who have more than 10 in Europe this season.  Signing a decent striker seems so hard nowadays, I think you need a bit of luck as much as anything.  I'd definitely look at Bowen if his contract is running out, he offers something a bit different with his left foot cutting in and if the worst case scenario happens will be strong in the Championship next year.

• Thanks 1

Morelos- The more I see the more I like, one thing is he can score from anywhere in and outside the box, he's got trickery, speed, aggression and a buyat 20-30 mill would be a steal if he scores a good amount, with his age could be moulded for the future.

I'd buy for sure..

Giroud-If we buy there's no resale money making that is for sure at 33 were going to take a hit and its all about the goals he can score.

Loader- out of contract soon, age 19 could be moulded for the future and fits what Smith is trying to do in buying young, training and selling for profit, can he bag a ton of goals though? not so sure on that one..

Bowen- Netted 9 goals so far and got a couple of assists, if we dont go for Morelos at 22 years old I'd certainly go for this guy considering he's does play a false 9 role and seems to play it rather well, he will cost though. This lad can score from about anywhere and is most likely ready for his next challange.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

Brentford are making a good charge for the play-offs, they're only two points off now having won five of their last six games. Would take a lot of money to get any of their better players, they want to be in the premier league for the first season in their new stadium.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Bowen- Netted 9 goals so far and got a couple of assists, if we dont go for Morelos at 22 years old I'd certainly go for this guy considering he's does play a false 9 role and seems to play it rather well, he will cost though. This lad can score from about anywhere and is most likely ready for his next challange.

I've absolutely no idea what the financial situation is it Hull, nor do I know anything about the owners intentions/business model so you may right. But Bowen is out of contract in the summer so they may be convinced to accept a sensible fee rather than losing him for nothing in 6 months time. 

On 19/11/2019 at 01:17, VillaChris said:

Let's say we want top 4 eventually and not just put it as a marketing tool. Lots of things need to come together for it to happen.

You need to have top quality manager in place. Majority of your signings need to work and gel with your current best players. You need to have defined style of play that works for you.

When you think back to 07-10 we actually had all of those things. MON for all his faults was used to competiting at the highest level given he qualified Leicester to europe a couple of times, had won cups and was in CL every year with Celtic. Again our counter attacking style wasn't to everyone's tast but it worked to the extent we were fantastic away from home and were averaging 60 + points a year. And guys like Young, Milner and Carew were coming in and linking up well with Barry and Laursen.

Despite all that we still couldn't make it despite having good positions deep in 2009 and 10 seasons. Not for the first time we lacked belief at a critical stage which is something Leicester probably won't struggle with given they won the flipping league less than four years ago so top 4 won't be seen as that huge a deal.

The bigger problem was our approach was really just built for that manager and set of players. We had no real clue how to replace MON given the wildly different approaches from the next three managers who came in and we also had a disaster trying to replace the key players who left in 2010 and 2011, also hoped half our youth team would develop into very good premier league players but the reality is very different. As mentioned above Leicester have made far better approach to letting likes of Kante and Mahrez go and still pushing on.

Anyway it's a long road and let's make sure we stay up first as then things can get done more quickly.

If you have the ability to sign more hits than misses which Leicester do, it matters little about letting some go.

We have had over a decade of too many misses....Martin O'Neil himself had more misses than hits....We have also had a senior Management, who has failed to sign managers commensurate with the stature of the club.....only now are we in decent shape, with owners.

O'Neill may have had a good record away from Home, but at Home it was mediocre at best....quite frankly I was so unimpressed by his style I stopped going....He could accrue points though, I'll give you that.

We are very much work in progress, we all know that.....but we need points, before we enter the quick sand.

Edited by TRO

What about another Brazilian,  Gabriel Barbuda. Admittedly I’ve only seen him once (just in the Libertadores), he actually did very little but got too goals and for sent off. Looks to have something about him though. His goal scoring record is class. Yes he didn’t do much at inter, but looks like he didn’t play much. Did he not settle? 

Anyone seen much of him?

Reminds me of aguero in style

Edited by mikeyp102

What about another Brazilian, Gabriel Barbuda

Barbosa isn’t a bad idea. Has been on loan at Flamengo since January from Inter where he has been scoring nearly a goal a game. Thought that he has turned down a £19m transfer to either Crystal Palace or West Ham in favour of a permanent transfer to Flamengo. Left footed with a couple of tricks and a bit of pace so could cut in off the right for us. Only 23 but no idea what his character is like. Football wise he looks a good fit for us.