Wrestling Games

Dodgyknees

I've always loved a good wrestling game.

My interest started when I played WWF Super Wrestlemania and also Wrestlefest. Following this I didn't really play wrestling games, as I didn't watch wrestling till about 97, when I got Attitude on the PS1, but soon fell in love with WM 2000 and No Mercy (the best WWE game by far).

The Smackdown games were hit and miss, Know your Role was decent, and Here Comes the Pain was good - with a few other decent games. The 2K games are sluggish and frustrating through, with over complicated career modes.

A shout-out to Royal Rumble on the Dreamcast too, which was very limited but fun for a short time.

Upcoming we have RetroMania Wrestling which looks really good, based on the old WWF arcade games, as well as rumours/leaks of an AEW game by the makers of No Mercy (😍) as well.

Where do you stand on wrestling games?

Edited by avfcDJ

I liked the ps2 ones for wwe when you had a general manager mode where you took over one of the shows to compete againsfcraw or smackdown. That' was well good.

The ones these days are pretty shit. The switch one was absolute abomination  

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Firepro Wrestling is one of the best I've ever played. Superb.

Ashamed to say I've never played a Fire Pro game, I've looked at buying one, but have never gone through with it. 

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I liked the ps2 ones for wwe when you had a general manager mode where you took over one of the shows to compete againsfcraw or smackdown. That' was well good.

The ones these days are pretty shit. The switch one was absolute abomination  

2K18 on the Switch was awful, so many bugs. Even on the XB and PS they are just awful. I had to do a career match where it told me to throw somebody into a car to get to the next bit, I did, then it told me to hit them with a chair, I did. And I beat them up terribly, then they knocked me down and pinned me with one move and I failed the objective. I haven't played the game since.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Haha 1

Chikara released their own game this week, as it happens. It's purposefully a very arcadey affair, hence the name. 

Chikara is a rather unique north American wrestling company, so it's only fitting that they have a game to suit. It actually does look pretty decent. 

For me the Fire Pro games have generally been the best, for similar reasons that as time goes by I enjoy more and more PuroResu. Scratches a similar itch I guess, a lot of it is down to the presentation rather than the gameplay, weirdly. And sure, the vanilla rosters (plus DLC) helps too. 

I didn't ever have an N64 so my familiarity with No Mercy is limited. From the same era, my favourite was, oddly, ECW Anarchy Rulz. It's very similar to WWF Attitude, but with some really interesting match types. I don't think I've ever seen a game with better no rope barbed wire matches. 

Anyone ever play MDickie's games (very basic graphically, but hugely customisable) or the Total Extreme Wrestling games (the football manager of wrestling)? 

Edited by hogso

4 hours ago, hogso said:

Chikara released their own game this week, as it happens. It's purposefully a very arcadey affair, hence the name. 

Chikara is a rather unique north American wrestling company, so it's only fitting that they have a game to suit. It actually does look pretty decent. 

For me the Fire Pro games have generally been the best, for similar reasons that as time goes by I enjoy more and more PuroResu. Scratches a similar itch I guess, a lot of it is down to the presentation rather than the gameplay, weirdly. And sure, the vanilla rosters (plus DLC) helps too. 

I didn't ever have an N64 so my familiarity with No Mercy is limited. From the same era, my favourite was, oddly, ECW Anarchy Rulz. It's very similar to WWF Attitude, but with some really interesting match types. I don't think I've ever seen a game with better no rope barbed wire matches. 

Anyone ever play MDickie's games (very basic graphically, but hugely customisable) or the Total Extreme Wrestling games (the football manager of wrestling)? 

There was one that seemed to be in development for decades called PWX. I heard about it from the old smashwrestling boards so that tells you how old it is when it began. I used to get monthly updates but then unsubscribed as they never seemed to actually make any progress. I wouldn't mind betting they still havent actually made the bloody thing. Think the guy heading it up was called Dave.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I had wcw vs nwo in n64. A top wrestling game  I loved how you could create factions on that. 

Yes it was like the first in the trilogy with WM 2k and No Mercy.  Hopefully they can make a new game just as good, my mates and I loved playing No Mercy (and Goldeneye) on N64.  I've even been tempted to buy an N64 for the nostalgia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes it was like the first in the trilogy with WM 2k and No Mercy.  Hopefully they can make a new game just as good, my mates and I loved playing No Mercy (and Goldeneye) on N64.  I've even been tempted to buy an N64 for the nostalgia.

N64 was a absolutely class console. 

• 2 weeks later...

WCW/NWO was outstanding and I was overjoyed when THQ got the WWF licence.  Those games have still never been bettered and are by far the best simulation of the flow of a wrestling match.

I’ll always have a place for WWF Warzone too as it came out just as I got back into wrestling.

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

WCW/NWO was outstanding and I was overjoyed when THQ got the WWF licence.  Those games have still never been bettered and are by far the best simulation of the flow of a wrestling match.

I’ll always have a place for WWF Warzone too as it came out just as I got back into wrestling.

Warzone was great too. My fav though was smackdown vs raw for ps2. Great games   

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

WWE20 looks hilariously broken.

Considering Yukes fixed 99% of the bugs in their engine by the end the 2K19 release cycle, I really don't know how Visual Concepts got it so wrong when "re-writing the code" for 2K20. 

I know we live in a post-Fallout 76 world, but 2K20 might actually be the most broken game in modern gaming history.

The commentary here almost feels like it's been added afterwards with how ridiculous it is along with what is going on on screen.

One of Giant Bomb's guys. They're taking a live quick look at it later, which should be a car crash.

• Haha 2

Â