Tom Clancy Breakpoint

Dave-R

Is anyone planning on getting the game.

I am a long standing fan of the Tom Clancy franchise, not only are they some of the most action packed games but in regards to tactical and strategic gameplay they are indeed a worthy game to have in your collection.

The plot: you are one of the Ghosts, you are betrayed on a fictional island called (Auroa) in the Pacific ocean. There plot thickens as you realise your alone and the only help is that of fellow betrayed Ghosts (who go through the same story as you), which brings it's four player co op into the mix.

Now that you are betrayed and have little places that are safe you are hunted by the islands militia and of course the elite of elite. The elite who are in fact ex ghosts now called the WOLVES, the WOLVES are led by someone many of you may recognise or know from popular tv series like the walking dead and the punisher, it's in fact Jon Bernthal AKA the punisher or Shane from TWD. Jon Bernthal's character is called (Col D Walker) or as many have taken to calling him Cold Walker. It's your job as a Ghost to find gear, survive and dismantle the empire of Cold Walker. You will be faced with not only the militia, Colds Wolves but you will face his army of drones as well.

I played the Beta and I was more than impressed, it's very stealthy or you could go guns a blaze but would have everything on to you as drones command the sky's and watch for you.

There are many survival elements to the game that affect tour combat ability if you are shot, which require shots, stimulants, bandages and what not. You can also go prone and apply camo from the terrain, think of predator and arnie at the end, that should give you an idea. Many games until now failed to do one thing (Breakpoint does) which is having a tactical approach to a situation anyway you like. Ubisoft have implemented the cutter so you can take out and access any bit of fencing to make approaching the enemy different, gaining access to compounds and breach to suit your needs.

Anyway that's enough from me on this game, I appreciate you reading this and hopefully it's a good read for you all, thank you.

Video trailer below:

• Like 1

the last game was the epitome of a Ubisoft game, looked great, grabbed my attention, looked very much my thing...played absolutely bang average, the gunplay was off and there were just too many niggly little things in it that I didn't like or wished that they did differently

see also the division, watch dogs, the last 2 far cry games, for honor, most of the assasins creed series (not played the last 2) I don't know how they do it, I don't think they make bad games I just don't think I've played many good Ubisoft games, they make 7/10 games consistently 

I was invited to take part in the limited Technical Test, Closed Beta and also checked it out in its recent Open Beta and left unimpressed every single time. 

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint to sum it up is UbiSoft's attempt to amalgamate every gameplay system they have introduced to their games over the course of this generation. It doesn't work.

Now I will focus on the good because this post will likely be insanely negative so I'll get this out of the way first. The start of the game is likely the best part of the game. It's slow, it's tense and it's Ghost Recon as all ****. The opening 30-60 minutes depending how fast you are is what I was expecting from this game, but it quickly devolves from here into everything that the rest of my post will be about. So if you like Ghost Recon feeling like Ghost Recon then play the opening mission and never advance any further from that mission, because the game starts to make less sense after completing the "check helicopters" quest. 

Now the bad. I will focus on this in almost chronological order in which you discover these things. So you dared to complete that quest eh? Well the story sets you up as a lone survivor behind enemy lines after a helicopter crash. Now how do you kill any sense of being alone in a game like this? Well it's simple, you add a Destiny style hub area full of players running around doing emotes and shit. Yeah you're not alone here, you're one of millions doing the same thing and the game never acknowledges this, it never talks about you as one of many, you are still the "lone survivor" even though it's obvious that you're not. Now I'm cynical and I see the store and the cosmetic items that won't all be for in-game money, this game has a premium currency and that is when the nonsensical hub area starts to make sense. You see, these lads at UbiSoft know that to sell cosmetics you need a place to show off so that others buy cosmetics too. So already the game has derailed the plot for the sake of selling micro transactions, it's a great start.

Okay so the next thing you may notice and depending how much you looted before the hub area you may already know, but this game isn't a military simulator, or at least an authentic military shooter, no, it's an RPG lite with gear score, loot drops and skill trees that make no sense in a game like this. It doesn't matter what level you are, or what gear you have as a head shot is always a one hit kill in this game. So why is there gear score? Well this game has robots and drones in it which act as a Division style bullet sponge enemy. This is what the gear score is for and it's is so jarring. Infiltrating a base by taking out guards one by one and then meeting a robot tank that takes 70 rounds from my Gear Score 42 AK-47 is horrible. I play ARPG's and looter shooters, and provided I know what I'm getting into then bullet sponge enemies are great, but this is Ghost Recon, it doesn't work.

So, lets add another negative onto the pile. The AI is atrocious, I mean it's so bad that I think and hope that it's bugged. The AI in a game that requires good AI is non-existent. These soldiers are so unaware of everything happening around them. I mean you can head shot someone with a suppressed pistol and their friend doesn't react, or at best they say some stupid one liner like "hmm, that was weird". Yeah mate it was weird, I just blew you friends head off, you should be jumping into action and calling for backup, or trying to kill me, but no the AI just assume the wind killed their friend and carry on staring off into the sunset. With AI so stupid it completely kills any immersion and makes the game absurdly easy, which if you know the legacy of this series it's not meant to be easy.

My main concern though is the premium currency. This game was made with that in mind and the past has shown me exactly what UbiSoft are willing to sell in a AAA game. They sell best in slot legendary gear, they sell XP boosts and they sell cosmetics, I mean it almost feels like UbiSoft will sell anything in-game for premium currency and that's a concern. Am I getting less XP per hour because there is an XP boost? Is the loot drop rate lower because I can just buy items for real money? When you're a big AAA company I have no reason to trust you, or your motives when it comes to money, so these are the questions I ask. This game as I said before does have a premium currency and it will be used to buy vehicles, weapons, "time savers" and weapon attachments, so this is already something they have talked about in press-release material and as a result I'm concerned about how much of a grind this game will become. 

Now after all of this will I be playing it? I have a free copy of the game sitting on my desktop waiting to unlock at midnight so I will likely play it, but I don't know how far I'll get before every single issue I outlined here forces me to give up on it entirely. This game is a mess of ideas and most of them don't work. If you enjoy this game, or you read this and all of my negatives sound like things you enjoy in games then hell yeah, I am glad you're having fun, or like the sound of this, but based on about 10 hours over a couple of betas and technical test it wasn't doing much for me. 

After about 15 hours of playing the retail build I can safely say that this game is merely a vehicle to sell microtransactions, and not just cosmetics, but everything is for sale. Skins, Weapons, Attachments, Armour, Vehicles, Emotes, Transmogs, Battle Pass Boosters, XP Boosters, Skill Points, Crafting Material Bundles, Weapon Upgrade Points and even more. Someone could literally buy this game for £50, spend another £200 and get to Level 30, Gear Score 150 in 3 minutes. What is the point? Who is buying this shit to such an extent that the whole game has been designed around selling everything. You can play this game legit if you want a prolonged artificial grind, but it's not a game intended to be played legit. This whole game has been designed around getting people to eventually buy Ghost Coins and it's a shame. Ghost Recon: Breakpoint may be the most egregious implementation of microtransactions to date and I hope no one buys it. 

PS. You'll also be reminded of the store every time you are forced to go back to the hub area, as you will see players walking around looking bad ass. Now some of that stuff can be earned in-game, but it's also sold on the store for real money. The line between in-game achievable and real money purchasable has been blurred so hard in this game.

• 1 month later...

I’ve treated it like Sniper Elite and am enjoying it. Need the harder settings and then AI is ok.

I enjoy open world roaming anyway so that’s a plus for me.

Agree with comments about the millions of people at the Hub, but to be honest except when I need a Mission update I don’t go. 

Not concerned about skins etc, and have upgraded weapons as I’ve progressed. Have had no need to buy anything.

It isn’t great, but I’m currently having plenty fun with it.

Bought the game despite what alot are saying and surprised how fantastic it actually is.

There is a gearscore like the division but the score on breakpoint is to only be able to obtain higher level equipment to fight the tougher enemy's because they have tougher weapons, they still have weakpoints and one shot kills in the head.

I've not really noticed what or where the whole argument is apart from the mobilisation of cosmetics but that's the standard of our our games now, there's still time of camo, emblems and what not that can be bought for in game money.

The island is absoloutly mammoth size and I've not tried anything above normal setting yet because if you walk into the wrong fight and the wrong time your just as dead. It's very tactical, the breaching tool is a game changer, so to the predator like camo applying.

I'm score 90+, I've heard it goes to 200, there are raids, pvp but I'll prob stay away from the pvp as it sound like the shrinking circle is in effect like pubg or fortnite.

The game has tons of weapons, vehicles, sights, mag extenders, traits, perks, armor, camo, tatoos and more than isnt tied to the monetisation of the game.

Well Worth the £40.99 i paid i cd keys for standard edition a few days ago.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah I got back into this recently and have progressed very far, main story done (episode's 1, 2 and 3), the Terminator "event" was a hell of a lot of fun, albeit a bit short, but that's done and have almost finished Operation Motherland which is basically a massive conquest type game using the full map. Some of the newer missions have been incredibly immersive too, one of the one's in episode 3 had you searching for survivors of a helicopter crash on the snowy plains by silent mountain, did it at night for full effect and it literally pulled you in try to follow small droplets of blood. Took a while but atmospheric as hell.

If you've got it gathering dust and not really done much with it, jump back in because it has improved massively, slow your gameplay down as it is a tactical game as opposed to a shooter and in the settings set "Darkest Night" to on. You will have no choice but to use NV and Thermal at night.

Â