Pre match thread

roonst83

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Same team that played against Burnley but bring in Davis for Wesley
If we play Wesley we may as well play with 10 men. 

Yep it'll be like adding a player dropping Wes right now..............just not happening for him. 

Hoping Targett is fit.........take the game to Norwich they have lots of injuries and we will not get a better chance to get 3 points away from home. 

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Yep it'll be like adding a player dropping Wes right now..............just not happening for him. 

Hoping Targett is fit.........take the game to Norwich they have lots of injuries and we will not get a better chance to get 3 points away from home

Given how the season has started, that bit in bold I would toss Vicarage Road into the hat to be honest.

47 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Given how the season has started, that bit in bold I would toss Vicarage Road into the hat to be honest.

Why? They have beat Newcastle no surprise there............and probably the only big upset to happen at Carrow Road is Man city took Norwich for granted and paid the price big time, I bet if Man City were to go back next weekend they would batter them.

Huge, huge chance for 3 points here, but I just can't see us outscoring them. We don't have the goals in the team to outscore many teams, unless we manage to keep a clean sheet. If we do win, it will have to be a classic smash and grab 1-0 I think. A draw is more likely, I would say 1-1. I would imagine that Norwich would score at least once at home, even with their injury problems.

I would love to be wrong and see a Villa side, furious from a string of poor decisions and performances warranting more points, tear into an unsuspecting Norwich side and win comfortably, proving to everyone just what they're capable of - but I won't be holding my breath.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John said:

We last won at Norwich in 2013 and have lost our last four games there. That is a losing run that needs to come to an end on Saturday. A win would take us out of the bottom three, it would also see us move two points ahead of The Canaries and it would probably see them taking our current place in the bottom three. We were promoted alongside our hosts last season, having both spent three seasons in the Championship since both being relegated at the end of season 2015-16.

Overall we have won 26 and have drawn 15, of the 62 league games that there have been between the two clubs. The last draw between the clubs at Carrow Road was a goalless one and it happened 15 long years ago. Will this be our first away league win of the season or our first away point? I would gladly take either, but would obviously prefer a resounding victory. Let's be having a win. Just do it for us Villa! 🤞 

In addition to John's post, in the Premier League our record against Norwich is 7W 5D 4L (1.63 PPG), averaging 1.375 GPG and conceding 1 per game.

At Carrow Road our record is 3W 2D 3L (1.375 PPG) with an average of 0.75 GPG and conceding 1 per game.

• Thanks 1

Just out of interest thought I'd look up their two line-ups from last season where they defeated us both times 2-1 to see what players might be missing:

At Carrow Road: Krul, Aarons, Zimmermann, Klose, Lewis, Trybull, Leitner, Buendia (Thompson/Godfrey), Stiepermann (Vrancic), Cantwell, Rhodes.

At Villa Park: Krul, Aarons, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Lewis, McLean (Tettey), Vrancic, Buendia , Stiepermann (Leitner), Hernandez (Hanley), Pukki.

Ones in bold are either injured or are doubts due to injury and the ones underlined aren't in the squad. They may have to play their 3rd choice keeper on the weekend too!

For kicks here's a look at our line ups also...

At Carrow Road: Nyland, Hutton, Tuanzebe, Chester, Taylor, Elmohamady, Hourihane (Kodjia), Whelan, Adomah (El Ghazi), Grealish, Abraham (Hogan).

At Villa Park: Steer, Hutton, Tuanzebe, Hause, Taylor, Whelan, Adomah, Lansbury (Bjarnason), Hourihane, Green, Kodjia (Davis).

• Like 3

On 30/09/2019 at 11:39, Dante_Lockhart said:

--------------------Heaton-------------------

Guilbert--Engels--Mings--Targett

-------Luiz-----Nakamba-----SJM----

Trez-------------------------------------Jack

---------------------Wes-----------------------

This 1000%

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Huge, huge chance for 3 points here, but I just can't see us outscoring them. We don't have the goals in the team to outscore many teams, unless we manage to keep a clean sheet. If we do win, it will have to be a classic smash and grab 1-0 I think. A draw is more likely, I would say 1-1. I would imagine that Norwich would score at least once at home, even with their injury problems.

I would love to be wrong and see a Villa side, furious from a string of poor decisions and performances warranting more points, tear into an unsuspecting Norwich side and win comfortably, proving to everyone just what they're capable of - but I won't be holding my breath.

To be fair it’s our defending that has let us down recently, not goals scored. We scored two at Arsenal and they had 10 men and two against a Burnley side not renowned for their attacking displays. A side with a stronger defence would have seen those games out. That’s why we need Targett fit for the game, he looked decent against Burnley and a lot better than Taylor. The rest of our defence is potentially good, they just need to learn to not switch off and cut out the errors.

This is a real opportunity. Not only do Norwich have several first teamers out, the goals seem to have dried up and their defence is definitely weak with the likes of Hanley likely to play. We should definitely score at least one and if we can handle Pukki that takes a lot of their goal threat away. Their fans don’t sound too confident but their home form has been good this season. If we play for 90 mins like we did for two-thirds of the game against Arsenal we have a great chance.

UTV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we play for 90 mins like we did for two-thirds of the game against Arsenal

...then we'll win comfortably. Not an easy thing to do though I would think, injuries or not. I'd take a point now if I'm honest but if we do click on the day we can get all 3.