Pre match thread

roonst83

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

And in the 3 Prem games before the last 2 we allowed a total of 1 goal.  Our defense is more than adequate to maintain our Premier League status.

I repeat. Aston Villa is the team in Premier League that's conceded the most shots on target.

I respect your opinion saying we have a good defense but stats proves otherwise.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That would indicate Heaton has had to make a lot of saves when I don’t think he has. Do blocks count as shots on target?

No he doesn't make a lot of saves.

Most of the good chances we concede tend to go into the back of the net.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How many shots on target have teams had against us? I can’t find this stat that concerns you. 

27 apparently, no idea how this compares to anyone else but 13 of them came from the spurs & arsenal games so doesn't seem too bad. The number of total shots faced is a bit more concerning at 121.

We have actually managed 33 shots on target in the same games from 85 total shots so looks like our accuracy is a bit better than our opponents overall

• Like 1

I was initially against playing Jack out left but I thought (at least in the first half) the compromise Smith found last week of having him doing it in that fluid 3 behind Wesley actually worked quite well, especially with Targett there to make up for the width that would have otherwise been lost.

Get Luiz in for Hourihane (who just didn't influence the game enough last week) and I'd be pretty happy with that team starting. As much as he may not like it Hourihane is probably going to be more effective off the bench for us so it's two birds with one stone in that sense.

• Like 2

Don't want to tempt fate, but I have a good feeling about this game. I think a lot of our new players are starting to settle into the Deanoball system, and this could be the game where everything comes together, against an injury-ravaged Norwich.

Bookies have it pretty much same odds for every outcome, so it's going to be an interesting one, no doubt about that.

However, never underestimate how good Norwich can be at home. My prediction is a 3-2 win for Villa, in a helterskelter match with lots of drama.

Norwich have a lot of injuries at the moment, this is the time to play them 

I see this as  our second win of the season and climbing out of the bottom 3 for a while. If we lose this although it is early days I will start to get worried 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Our defence right now is not great. We all love Mings, and Engels has looked good, but they are both making several mistakes each match. I'm not totally convinced by Guilbert yet. I think Targett will come good, but needs to stay free of injuries. Taylor is not good enough, although I do think he is something of a scapegoat. 

Agree about the Mings and Engles comment. Mings can be a warrior in defence at times but sometimes I find he is way too casual on the ball and with following his man and both of those things cost us. He is often too slow to release the ball which leads to the player who receives the ball being under immediate pressure. Love his leadership qualities but he’s got areas to improve on. 

Engles has looked very assured overall but was naive giving the penalty away at Arsenal and should’ve done much better in picking up his man against Burnley. 

Essentially, we have a good CB pairing in Engles and Mings but basic errors are costing us key goals.