Pre match thread

roonst83

We go again. 

Tough fixture away at Carrow Road. Norwich appear to be a different beast at home so this will be tough. Burnley was a missed opportunity to take a much needed three points so sooner or later we’re going to need to pull a surprise result out the bag. So I hope this is it.

Hope Targett is fit as he provided much better balance at FB and an attacking option going forwards. I thought our set up against Burnley worked well in the first half but we seem incapable of stringing two strong halves of football together and we looked poor second half and couldn’t adjust to Burnley’s switch of tactics. 

Not sure how much longer we can persist without Wesley so feels like Keinan deserves a start. Although in May after Wembley if you told me we’d be starting Premier League games with Keinan Davies as our main striker than I would’ve been gutted. Essentially, we look weak up front and don’t have any natural goal scorers which is harming us. 

Need a result.

• Like 1

Not looking forward to this one at all.

All the pressure is on us. All the money we spent. All the injuries Norwich got.

If we win, it is expected because of all their injuries, if we draw it still isn't good enough, if we lose it's embarrassing.

Draw would be fine for me actually.

We've lost our first three so need to get something on the road to settle us down mentally. Norwich have lost their first four away games so clearly going to bank on staying up on their home form so denying them in what they'll view as one of their banker three points would be good.

Will go for 1-1.

Our record there has been dismal in recent times. Think we've lost all our games there since Lambert era. Ironically we won all our games there with Lambert in charge.

• Like 2

Looking at this fixture in isolation it's a game where normally a draw would be a good result, but given that we've only won one game in seven and the fixtures we've got coming up it's a game that we really could do with getting three points from. And at some point we're going to have to get our first away win of the season.

• Like 3

Yeah, we need to demonstrate we can win away from home sooner or later, and this is a fixture where there's a good chance to do that. As I mentioned in another thread, they have conceded at least two goals in every league game bar one, and they haven't kept a clean sheet yet. They also have some injuries, and we may be up against their 3rd choice goalkeeper. Finally, they seem very reliant on Pukki up front, so that gives one big way to try to shut them down.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but we aren't going to stay up if we only get points at home, so we need to get going away at some point soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Draw would be fine for me actually.

We've lost our first three so need to get something on the road to settle us down mentally. Norwich have lost their first four away games so clearly going to bank on staying up on their home form so denying them in what they'll view as one of their banker three points would be good.

Will go for 1-1.

Our record there has been dismal in recent times. Think we've lost all our games there since Lambert era. Ironically we won all our games there with Lambert in charge.

I'd have taken a draw from this if we beat Burnley, but we didn't so for me it's a game we must win. I looked at Burnley, Norwich and Brighton and thought 7 points would be a decent return, as we've screwed up the first game we now must look to win the next two. If you look at our run of fixtures after Brighton it doesn't look pretty. No game is easy and Norwich away won't be, but there comes a time where you have to say draws aren't good enough and that is now. Every game is a cup final imo if we want to stay up.

• Like 1

I agree with @VillaFaninLondon 3 points against Burnley and I would have took a point here, but I feel we need 3 to get the belief into the squad whilst putting one over our rivals. It won't be easy, regardless of their injury list however a game we should look to play on the front foot and aim for our first away points.

Hopefully Targett is fit for selection and if he is, I would go for the same line up as Burnley but with Davis in for Wes whom I think needs a game out of the firing line.

If Targett is unavailable then I think I'd go with Hause or perhaps playing a back four of Guilbert Konsa Engels Mings would be a stronger defence?! 

1-2 Villa 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I agree with @VillaFaninLondon 3 points against Burnley and I would have took a point here, but I feel we need 3 to get the belief into the squad whilst putting one over our rivals. It won't be easy, regardless of their injury list however a game we should look to play on the front foot and aim for our first away points.

Hopefully Targett is fit for selection and if he is, I would go for the same line up as Burnley but with Davis in for Wes whom I think needs a game out of the firing line.

If Targett is unavailable then I think I'd go with Hause or perhaps playing a back four of Guilbert Konsa Engels Mings would be a stronger defence?! 

1-2 Villa 

I’d agree with you that if Targett isn’t fit go with Mings at LB and bring Konsa in, Taylor just isn’t good enough at this level and was at fault for both goals yesterday. If Targett stays on we win against Burnley, simple as that. I’d rather Mings at CB but if it means no Taylor then so be it. Not trying to dig anyone out or make someone a scapegoat, as Taylor does his best, but he just doesn’t have the quality needed.

I’m 50/50 about taking Wes out, but he has been disappointing so far. I do think we have to try to get the best out of him and persevere until January at least but Davis probably deserves a go. I doubt Davis will contribute many goals, if any, but his hold up play might get more out of Jack, Trez and others. Not sure whether DS will put him in though.

Got to start winning games home or away before it’s too late, starting with Norwich. Will take a 2-1 win.

• Like 1

I'd still start

Heaton

Elmo---Engels---Mings---Guilbert

Douglas---Nakamba---McGinn

Trezeguet---Wesley---Grealish

The issue for me has been Smith's reluctance to make in game changes and leaving them too late. I don't know if he's trying to leave certain players on to build their endurance and stamina, but we need to obviously balance that with picking up points along this learning curve. I do think we're improving every game, even if it's only slightly, although we're yet to cement our foundations. I'm going to say a 2-1 win for us here, concentration when defending needs to be paramount for the whole team, and if it improves in this game, we've got a great chance of winning. :flag: 

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd have taken a draw from this if we beat Burnley, but we didn't so for me it's a game we must win. I looked at Burnley, Norwich and Brighton and thought 7 points would be a decent return, as we've screwed up the first game we now must look to win the next two. If you look at our run of fixtures after Brighton it doesn't look pretty. No game is easy and Norwich away won't be, but there comes a time where you have to say draws aren't good enough and that is now. Every game is a cup final imo if we want to stay up.

Well if we take a point from Norwich and then beat Brighton then we'd be above both Brighton (provided they don't beat Spurs and Norwich aslong as they don't go to Bournemouth and win). Short term thinking but those are two teams we really need to finish above to stay up imo.

• Like 1

Will be difficult no doubt. But each setback we've faced lately the next game there seems a determination to put things right each time. Our away form has been poor as a PL side for quite some time. Need to be switched on defensively and try and lead by more than a goal when on top. 

0-1 Grealish

please

Before yesterday's game Wesley's goal rate was one every three games. If he scores one against Norwich or Brighton then he'll be back to that rate. And a goal per three games works out at 12 for the whole season, which would be respectable for a newly promoted side and hopefully enough to keep us up, go on Wes! And good luck!

We last won at Norwich in 2013 and have lost our last four games there. That is a losing run that needs to come to an end on Saturday. A win would take us out of the bottom three, it would also see us move two points ahead of The Canaries and it would probably see them taking our current place in the bottom three. We were promoted alongside our hosts last season, having both spent three seasons in the Championship since both being relegated at the end of season 2015-16.

Overall we have won 26 and have drawn 15, of the 62 league games that there have been between the two clubs. The last draw between the clubs at Carrow Road was a goalless one and it happened 15 long years ago. Will this be our first away league win of the season or our first away point? I would gladly take either, but would obviously prefer a resounding victory. Let's be having a win. Just do it for us Villa! 🤞 

Edited by John
  • Like 2