Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

taser+police+crazy+abuse+use.jpg

The hippies/druids would do well to remember to drop to the ground and roll away from the taser.

A Columbus, OH, police department officer safety memo, obtained by Gun Week, is raising alarms in law enforcement circles that criminals may be teaching one another how to defeat being shot by Tasers.

The memorandum was written after a July 15 incident in which a female Columbus officer confronted a stabbing suspect. After the suspect ignored repeated verbal commands, the officer shot the suspect with the Taser twice, and both probes made skin contact about 16 inches apart.

However, according to the memo, the suspect dropped to the ground and rolled. In the process, he broke both Taser wires, and thus broke the contact with the weapon, which stopped the electric charge. He then jumped up and ran away with the two probes still in his chest, according to the memo.

Gun Week contacted Sgt. Brian Bruce with the Columbus Police Division of Defensive Tactics Unit, who confirmed that the memo is authentic. While he did not write the original memorandum, he did circulate it to other law enforcement sources. He said the suspect in the July 15 incident was captured a short time later and that the female officer involved was not hurt.

He also said that police examined the suspect and found two contact wounds where the Taser probes had entered his skin. According to the memo, the suspect “stated that he learned from talking to other inmates at the jail that to defeat the Taser one merely needs to roll away from the Taser, which will cause the probes to fall out or the wires to break.”

link

or they could wrap themselves in foil, but it might be a bit warm for that.

jrp9vd.jpg

or they could wrap themselves in foil, but it might be a bit warm for that.

It was only a matter of time before you came out with that one. Isn't that the solution to most conspiracies?

Video shows surveillance protesters bundled to ground by police

• Women arrested for challenging officer with no badge number

• Footage shows arresting officers binding Fit Watch pair's feet

• IPCC to receive video as concerns grow over police tactics

Two female protesters who challenged police officers for not displaying their badge numbers were bundled to the ground, arrested and held in prison for four days, according to an official complaint lodged today.

The incident was caught on camera, and footage shows officers standing on the women's feet and applying pressure to their necks immediately after the women attempted to photograph a fellow officer who had refused to give his badge number.

The images are likely to fuel concern over the policing of protests, which is already subject to a review by the national police inspectorate and two parliamentary inquiries after the G20 demonstrations and the death of Ian Tomlinson.

Val Swain, 43, and Emily Apple, 33, both mothers with young children, believe they were deliberately targeted for arrest at last year's climate camp demonstration in Kent because they campaign for Fit Watch, a protest group that opposes police surveillance at demonstrations.

The pair were remanded to a women's prison for four days and released only after the demonstration against the Kingsnorth power station had finished. They believe their treatment is symptomatic of the increasingly aggressive approach taken by police at political demonstrations.

Their arrests were captured on police surveillance footage obtained by the Guardian and submitted today to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Fit Watch activists are opposed to police forward intelligence teams (Fits), the mobile surveillance units that monitor campaigners at demonstrations and meetings. Campaigners affiliated to the group film surveillance officers in action and upload their details to a website.

They also use banners and placards to block the view of police surveillance cameras, which they claim are used to harass and intimidate protesters and gather information for police databases.

The women were quickly identified as members of the group when they appeared at the camp on 8 August last year.

The footage shows them standing near officers from West Yorkshire police, at least four of whom were not showing their badge numbers. A police surveillance unit began filming their interactions with the officers and captured the moment that Apple engaged an officer who was refusing to divulge his badge number.

After the officer's repeated refusals, Apple asked Swain to photograph him. "I'd like a picture of this officer so I can make a complaint," she said. "It's West Yorkshire police – no number."

Moments later, Swain and Apple were wrestled to the ground and placed in stress positions. They were told had been arrested on assault and obstruction charges.

During her arrest, Swain was wrapped with restraint belts before being carried into a police van. An officer placed his hand around Apple's neck, apparently lifting her head for the police surveillance cameras.

A third Fit Watch campaigner, Geoff Cornock, 52, was also arrested and bailed the following day. Charges were later dropped against all three, whose joint complaint to the IPCC alleges that they were unlawfully arrested and detained.

In a statement, Kent police said it recognised people had made complaints but could not comment on individual cases as there was a judicial review under way.

Interesting video of the event on the link with commentary. Whenever we get a new government they've got a grip on the police and stop them acting like a law unto themselves.

• 1 month later...

Police to check Brighton residents one by one in anti-terror plan

Police will be checking the identities of people living and working in 1,000 city centre addresses, to make sure they are not terrorists.

Sussex Police plan to visit thousands of residents in the area around the Brighton Centre, in the lead up to September's Labour Party Conference.

The conference security scheme, codenamed Operation Otter, has been justified by top officers who say the steps are necessary at a time of heightened international security.

During the conference, from September 27 to October 1, police will seal off a secure 'island site' around the Brighton Centre, Hilton Metropole, Grand Hotel and Russell Road car park.

But residents and workers further afield will also have to prove who they are.

Police working with Brighton and Hove City Council have already sent letters to businesses and homes around the conference centre which will be affected by Operation Otter.

Officers will visit homes and ask residents to show an identity document like a passport of driving licence, as well as confirming their address with a bank statement or utility bill.

The names will then be checked against the police national computer to check whether they are wanted or suspected of terrorism.

Superintendent Grenville Wilson, planning coordinator for Operation Otter, said: “We will confirm their ID with open source validation.

They have to get an ID document like a passport and a utility bill that's got their details on it.

“It is so we know who's living within the area.

“The security operation runs throughout the conference and can cause a bit of disturbance, particularly for those people living above the Metropole and to get access to their flats they have to have a security pass.

“We will be organising a local residents meeting, probably on July 22, where people can ask questions.

“Letters have gone out to the homes in the area and then we will follow that up with home visits.”

Police will also check the details of staff at firms within the vicinity of the political conference, even though they claim they have no reason to suspect Brighton will come under attack from terrorists.

Supt Wilson said: “Hosting the government during a time of international tension inevitably involves heightened security measures however we are keen to stress that there is no specific threat to the conference.”

"Sussex Police is committed to working with partners and communities to tackle these issues together.

The city council has defended the disruption to residents, because the conference will bring millions of pounds worth of trade to the city.

Council leader Mary Mears said: "The annual conference of the party in government brings about 20,000 people and £10million to the host city.

“This is money local businesses desperately need to help fight the recession. So while there is inevitably some disruption it is still worth the effort for the benefits it brings to the local economy."

The Government has provided £6.1 million to fund this year’s police operation, up from £3.7 million in 2005.

Anyone affected can ask the police questions about the security checks by emailing otter_accreditation@sussex.pnn.police.uk.

And what happens if they either don't have the requisite papers or refuse?

I'm in Istanbul at the moment and the level of policing is way above anything in the UK. Entranceway to the hotel you have to go through airport type security screenings, (and this is a 5 star hotel), Entrance to office blocks the same. The police stop people on the street regularly and if you do not have the right paperwork you have to go with them to verify things - both foreign and local. But the local guys, are seemingly OK with it all

I'm in Istanbul at the moment and the level of policing is way above anything in the UK. Entranceway to the hotel you have to go through airport type security screenings, (and this is a 5 star hotel), Entrance to office blocks the same. The police stop people on the street regularly and if you do not have the right paperwork you have to go with them to verify things - both foreign and local. But the local guys, are seemingly OK with it all

I was there last year and didn't see a policeman at any hotels or attractions ..a few on the streets but no more than you'd get in any large city ... I was impressed with how free and laid back it all seemed to be.. maybe a lot changes in a year ...are you sure it isn't just some conference or event in town ? .. there were scuffles with some Chinese protesters yesterday in Istanbul for example

that's what happens after I visit a country I guess :-)

Fantastic City Istanbul hope you get some time to see it (assuming you've not been before and done it all)

Taxi driver was crazy but got a great view of the bridge. We are taking clients out for dinner tonight and colleagues tomorrow - the aim is to do a bit of sightseeing - the Yanks love this sort of stuff

Just out of interest.....

My step son had his new Blackberry Bold nicked form his ruksak in Amsterdam on Saturday by a pick pocket type fellow (he has to pay 100% replacement costs). Is there anything to stop someone putting live mouse traps in one's ruksak with just enough open zip so a scum person can get their little hand in, I was thinking of covering the points on the traps with something unsavoury also to guarantee infection and hopefully amputation

(No I am not going to do it, but I was just wondering why no one else has ever done it as it is the very least they deserve)

My step son had his new Blackberry Bold nicked form his ruksak in Amsterdam on Saturday by a pick pocket type fellow (he has to pay 100% replacement costs). Is there anything to stop someone putting live mouse traps in one's ruksak with just enough open zip so a scum person can get their little hand in, I was thinking of covering the points on the traps with something unsavoury also to guarantee infection and hopefully amputation

(No I am not going to do it, but I was just wondering why no one else has ever done it as it is the very least they deserve)

That is genius. I shall definitely do ths when I'm off on me hols next month!

Police to check Brighton residents one by one in anti-terror plan

Police will be checking the identities of people living and working in 1,000 city centre addresses, to make sure they are not terrorists.

Sussex Police plan to visit thousands of residents in the area around the Brighton Centre, in the lead up to September's Labour Party Conference.

They did the same last year in Manchester with great success.

For the price of a mere £8m they managed to deport some chefs who overstayed on their Visas.

Wonder how much of a burden the crooks are putting on the taxpayers for this shindig.

...I was impressed with how free and laid back it all seemed to be...

Really?

Human Rights Watch in the summary of their Dec '08 report: Closing Ranks Against Accountability. Barriers to Tackling Police Violence in Turkey"]

Turkey’s well documented endemic problems of torture and its notoriously violent policing culture ought to be a thing of the past. Motivated to meet conditions attached to its prospective European Union accession, within the past five years Turkey has made important changes in law and in detention regulations, providing better safeguards for those held in places of detention. Over that period there was a recorded decrease in allegations of torture or ill-treatment of detainees held in the anti-terror departments of police stations.

There are, however, signs of continuing problems of police violence, and a reported rise in overall complaints of torture and police violence since the beginning of 2007. At the core of the persistence of these phenomena is the culture of impunity. Historically, law enforcement officials were rarely if ever held to account, and still less often in a manner that reflected the gravity of the violations committed. Today, despite increased legal safeguards, law enforcement officers who flout them can still enjoy effective impunity when they are alleged to have abused or even unlawfully killed victims.

Police abuse is regularly reported as taking place both outside formal police custody as well as in custody. Of concern too is the implementation of revised laws pertaining to police powers and the use of force, with a continuing pattern of police shootings, some of them fatal. Investigations of complaints continue to be mired with difficulties, to lack independence, thoroughness, and effectiveness, and to proceed in most cases very slowly.

In this report Human Rights Watch looks at allegations of police violence with a focus on the obstacles to investigation of abuses, and the resulting impunity enjoyed by police officers. The report provides evidence of a continuing culture of police violence in a range of areas: fatal and non-fatal shootings by the police; policing of demonstrations involving ill-treatment and excessive use of force; and ill-treatment during or subsequent to identity checks.

Perhaps Turkish policing (and in particular that in Istanbul) is not an ideal model.

That is genius. I shall definitely do ths when I'm off on me hols next month!

I thought so :D I would modify by making sure the trap(s) were secured to the ruksak so if they run of they would slice their fingers or hand in half, either way they would have to ask for help thus giving time to give them what they really need.

Sin bins for worst families

SIN BINS FOR WORST FAMILIES

THOUSANDS of the worst families in England are to be put in “sin bins” in a bid to change their bad behaviour, Ed Balls announced yesterday.

The Children’s Secretary set out £400million plans to put 20,000 problem families under 24-hour CCTV super-vision in their own homes.

They will be monitored to ensure that children attend school, go to bed on time and eat proper meals.

Private security guards will also be sent round to carry out home checks, while parents will be given help to combat drug and alcohol addiction.

Around 2,000 families have gone through these Family Intervention Projects so far.

But ministers want to target 20,000 more in the next two years, with each costing between £5,000 and £20,000 – a potential total bill of £400million.

Ministers hope the move will reduce the number of youngsters who get drawn into crime because of their chaotic family lives, as portrayed in Channel 4 comedy drama Shameless.

Sin bin projects operate in half of council areas already but Mr Balls wants every local authority to fund them.

He said: “This is pretty tough and non-negotiable support for families to get to the root of the problem. There should be Family Intervention Projects in every local authority area because every area has families that need support.”

But Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: “This is all much too little, much too late.

“This Government has been in power for more than a decade during which time anti-social behaviour, family breakdown and problems like alcohol abuse and truancy have just got worse and worse.”

Mr Balls also said responsible parents who make sure their children behave in school will get new rights to complain about those who allow their children to disrupt lessons.

Pupils and their families will have to sign behaviour contracts known as Home School Agreements before the start of every year, which will set out parents’ duties to ensure children behave and do their homework.

The updated Youth Crime Action Plan also called for a crackdown on violent girl gangs as well as drug and alcohol abuse among young women.

But a decision to give ministers new powers to intervene with failing local authority Youth Offending Teams was criticised by council leaders.

Les Lawrence, of the Local Government Association, said they did “crucial” work and such intervention was “completely unnecessary”.

Perhaps Turkish policing (and in particular that in Istanbul) is not an ideal model.

can only go on what I saw .. true it would mainly have been the tourist type areas but as i said I was really impressed with Istanbul .

will be in Burma in about 14 days time ..not sure when the Aung San Suu verdict is being announced but if I am there when it happens then I'll get to see the art of "proper " policing firsthand !!

Â