Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

I feel sorry for my old mate Vic there. Gambo just comes across as deranged, which is a shame as he probably has a number of very good points. As a broadcaster of some considerable experience he should know better and he’s picking on one of the most reasonable unbiased interviewers/journalists the BBC currently has.

Yeah, it's not the best way to put what I suspect are extremely pertinent points. I can sympathise with how shit his experience must have been, but really he needed to be a bit more focused there. That being said, Cressida Dick still being in a job is an absolute disgrace, she should have had her career ended over three or four separate issues at this point, no argument from me there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 20:37, chrisp65 said:

Cressida Dick given a two year contract extension.

Continuity more important than competence,

And she’s just been on my telly appearing to try and garner sympathy for the plight of the poor coppers. It’s such a tough time for them all today. 

1 hour ago, choffer said:

And she’s just been on my telly appearing to try and garner sympathy for the plight of the poor coppers. It’s such a tough time for them all today. 

All credit to the police officers who ran what appears to have been a very rapid and successful investigation, but I can't help but note that no-one today has thought to mention that plenty of her police spent the immediate aftermath roughing up female protesters (Not even sure 'protesters' is the right word, 'vigil attendees' may be better), an incident that was just one of at least four separate incidents that Dick should have been forced to resign over (also: Jean Charles De Menezes, the Daniel Morgan panel's findings, and the investigation into Carl Beech's allegations).

• Like 3

The vast majority of Police just want to do a good job and get bad people off the streets. There will be bad eggs though, thats inevitable. Like any profession. I don't blame the NHS for Shipman killing 200 people either. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

The vast majority of Police just want to do a good job and get bad people off the streets. There will be bad eggs though, thats inevitable. Like any profession. I don't blame the NHS for Shipman killing 200 people either. 

Whilst I agree, the problem with the police (and The Met are the masters) is that rather than whistle blow when they see it, they close ranks. It’s been the same for decades. It needs to be acknowledged by those in the upper echelons and it needs to change. 

Edited by choffer
“It” being inappropriate behaviour.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Gonna need a citation for that :)

I'm sure there are a few good apples, but the vast majority of police officers I've interacted with have been absolute words removed, thugs attracted to the job by the power and the badge. And I'm a soft, white, middle class(ish) bloke with only legal vices, not their usual fitting-up demographic. I don't have a record at all, I don't have a chip on my shoulder because I've been caught, but I've been clattered by enough thugs in government uniforms when I'm minding my own business on the way to a football game (the blues derby was always "fun", I felt far more threatened by WMP than the noses) or at a peaceful protest that I'll never trust the bastards.

And the ones that haven't been violent bastards have been bone-idle bastards that just want to issue a crime number then **** off because anything else is too much like hard work. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Very similar response to that of Davkaus.

In my personal experience, based on where I lived, and my age, the vast majority of police just wanted to do a good job and get bad people off the streets. Unfortunately, they had decided for about 10 years, that I was bad people. 

I’m white, with an absolutely spotless record. My post code did for me. I can only imagine what it must be like not to be white and not to have a clean record.

I’m middle aged now, with a better post code, and I’m still white. I am now of absolutely no interest to the police. 

As for the NHS analogy, if I was the head of a trust and we had Shipman, then we had three or four other similarly serious incidents that made people afraid to interact with the NHS and caused patient representatives to call for me to resign, and caused people in parliament and the House of Lords to call for my resignation, I’d resign.

• Like 2

Cressida Dick should go. There has been too many incidents now where the person at the top has to be held responsible, I mean she'll go with her golden handshake, which will probably cost us tax payers best part of half a million quid. Let someone else take charge and update the system, which is more than overdue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Cressida Dick should go. There has been too many incidents now where the person at the top has to be held responsible, I mean she'll go with her golden handshake, which will probably cost us tax payers best part of half a million quid. Let someone else take charge and update the system, which is more than overdue.

Going off the North Yorkshire Commissioner I'm not sure it's just her who is the problem and there's no guarantee anyone new would actually be an improvement. 

I do think she has to go though, just worried it won't make any difference. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

How do you square the circle of having to check if it's ok for you to be arrested, without incurring the wrath of 'resisting arrest'?

By phoning 999 apparently or shouting out to passers by or the best one... asking the officer to contact the control centre for you

Â