Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

So we have these cases mentioned above. we have the police trying to infiltrate ukuncut and in the states we have the FBI trying to incite islamists. You have massive student protests with small groups damaging property that dominate the media, and protest groups always complaining about the special branch plants starting it all, and they're all just conspiracy nut jobs. Back on with the tinfoil.

• 2 months later...

Political policing?

A lawyer at a leading civil liberties firm has expressed fears for the future of direct action protest after the mass arrest of UK Uncut activists during last Saturday's anti-cuts demonstrations in London.

Matt Foot, a criminal defence solicitor at Birnberg Pierce, said the detention of 145 activists during an occupation of luxury food store Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly was "unprecedented". He has questioned the police's motivation.

After being arrested for aggravated trespass and criminal damage, scores of Uncut campaigners were dispersed to police stations around London as far apart as Harrow, Ilford and Romford and were held for up to 24 hours. The next day, the accusation of criminal damage was dropped but 138 activists were bailed on the charge of aggravated trespass.

"At the time, the chief inspector at Fortnum and Mason effectively told us there we had committed no criminal damage – that we were all 'non-violent' and 'sensible'. But moments later we were all arrested for criminal damage – a charge later dropped. This certainly looks to me like political policing.".

...more on link and a vid

But, but, but.....the politicians were telling us how wonderful the police had done arresting 150 violent criminals. Where as they let all the violent criminals run riot breaking windows, spraypainting, paintbombing and arrested all the non-violent protesters (in a violent manner if you were watching the coverage).

So you have 300,000 marching peacefully - 2 arrests - 0.0007%

350 at a peaceful sit in - 138 arrests - 39%

500 carrying out agressive and violent conduct - 11 arrests - 2.2%

And all the politicians congratulated the police on the success of their work, and they all offered to give the police more powers to help them be even more successful.

Quite a few people seem confused though

Indy"]MPs are demanding to know why the police arrested and charged so many peaceful protesters at Saturday's anti-cuts demonstration, while letting off those who attacked shops and banks and damaged monuments.

Demonstrators who took part in the sit-in at luxury grocer Fortnum & Mason, organised by campaign group UK Uncut, are bearing the brunt of police and prosecutors' attentions.

The Metropolitan Police detained 201 people on Saturday, as they battled break-away factions of activists targeting shops in London's West End. A total of 149 have been charged in connection with the protests – 138 of them (94 per cent) face criminal charges of aggravated trespass at the high-end store, with only 11 charged for the more violent protests elsewhere in the capital, including serious disturbances in the West End during which police were pelted with ammonia-filled lightbulbs.

The PM didn't seem at all confused (though maybe he was ill-informed, misinformed or just being disingenuous) in PMQs in between displays of utter arrogance and very unseemly personal abuse.

• 1 month later...

Police in Spain addressing a peaceful anti cuts protest. New face of the ECB/Banksters alliance coming to a city near you.

The violence/instilling fear combo worked well for the pigs in Egypt too, until it didn't..

Indy"]MPs are demanding to know why the police arrested and charged so many peaceful protesters at Saturday's anti-cuts demonstration, while letting off those who attacked shops and banks and damaged monuments.

Demonstrators who took part in the sit-in at luxury grocer Fortnum & Mason, organised by campaign group UK Uncut, are bearing the brunt of police and prosecutors' attentions.

The Metropolitan Police detained 201 people on Saturday, as they battled break-away factions of activists targeting shops in London's West End. A total of 149 have been charged in connection with the protests – 138 of them (94 per cent) face criminal charges of aggravated trespass at the high-end store, with only 11 charged for the more violent protests elsewhere in the capital, including serious disturbances in the West End during which police were pelted with ammonia-filled lightbulbs.

I believe it is the same reason that the animal rights folks only throw red paint on old ladies wearing fur coats as opposed to going to the biker bars to throw red paint on people wearing leather jackets.

The mossod seem to have taken kettling and added a more interactive element to it, whilst maintaining the basics of covering up their faces and removing any numbers from their uniform.

I believe it is the same reason that the animal rights folks only throw red paint on old ladies wearing fur coats as opposed to going to the biker bars to throw red paint on people wearing leather jackets.
Nah - I don't accept that comparison. I don't believe the police are scared of one crowd and therefore only go for the other. Arresting the peaceful non-violent people puts people off attending future peaceful non-violent events, whilst letting the undercover operatives lead the non-peaceful on a frenzy of minor damage allows the police to ask for more powers to punish the peaceful with.

The mossod seem to have taken kettling and added a more interactive element to it, whilst maintaining the basics of covering up their faces and removing any numbers from their uniform.

Reading elsewhere that far from dispersing the crowd thousands more are building up at that location 24 hours after the video was shot. Any news on that your end?

Could it be the European 'Spring' Pt. 1 or will they all go home for a siesta at 3pm?

They re-occupied the square as soon as mossod had moved on. The kids aren't happy about this, it's not going to end soon. The protests are ongoing in all the main cities despite the election of a new govt - which re-affirmed the fact that the protest are about the failed system and not just one or other of the two political parties. And with youth unemployment over 40% it's not like they've got anything better to do.

Democracia Real Ya! FTW

beeb"]
We are not just asking for jobs. We are asking for a change in the political system.

We have no option but to vote for the two biggest parties in Spain, who are more or less the same. They are unable to solve any problem, it is just a nest of corruption.

These protests are not only about unemployment.

They are about the unfair political situation that exists in Spain.

We protest against the political situation that allows more than 100 people who are accused of corruption across the country to stand in the next elections.

Moreover, it is about the electoral law in Spain, which has a vote computing system that benefits the big political parties, leaving the small ones without any choice of achieving any success.

Sound familiar?

Here's another

with a bit more cheekiness from the men in black- any idea what the weapon is the mossad is holding @ 2:44?

mossadweapon.png

Of course the bbc have a different take on what's happened in the last couple of days

fingerpainting.png

they're not protesting, they're fingerpainting - how sweet.

Here's another
with a bit more cheekiness from the men in black- any idea what the weapon is the mossad is holding @ 2:44?

Tear gas rifle grenade by the looks of it. Fire that point blank at a torso and the recipient aint getting up.

Having looked at very many vid's now from Barca I'd say peaceful protest is a busted flush. I'm afraid old women and kids aren't what's needed there, time to get some men on the streets and get organised. They can't use live ammo so it wouldn't take much to overpower them by sheer weight of numbers. Football crowds (do they gather at the stadium to watch away matches?) would make a good protest core and encourage others to stand up.

Viva Espana.

They can't use live ammo so it wouldn't take much to overpower them by sheer weight of numbers. Football crowds (do they gather at the stadium to watch away matches?) would make a good protest core and encourage others to stand up.

Viva Espana.

There'll be up to half a million people in that part of Barca tonight to watch the game in the bars and then let off fireworks in the square - that might be the excuse the mossod need to kick off again.

• 1 month later...

Law And Order to grind to a halt?

Criminals could walk free if they are not charged within 96 hours

Tens of thousands of murderers, rapists and violent criminals could escape prosecution following a "bizarre" legal ruling.

The ruling, made by a district judge at Salford Magistrates' Court and backed by the High Court, means an end to the practice of releasing people on bail and calling them back for further questioning later - a common practice in most major inquiries.

Police forces can no longer put anyone out on bail for more than 96 hours without either being in a position to charge or release them.

After the four days is up, officers can no longer question suspects and can only rearrest them if they have new evidence, the ruling says.

Police chiefs have been left baffled by the "bizarre" ruling and both the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) are currently considering the ramifications for forces across England and Wales.

Sir Norman Bettison, chief constable of West Yorkshire Police, said: "This means unless this is overturned police can no longer put anyone out on bail for more than 96 hours without either being in a position to charge or release.

"It's on the verge of a disaster now because the question being asked by my custody sergeants is, 'What do we do, boss?'

"I cannot countenance turning people away from the charge office and telling them all bets are off and they are free to go."

He went on: "We are running round like headless chickens this morning wondering what this means to the nature of justice.

"My holding position with my officers is that I can't believe this is what was envisioned.

"We are awaiting advice from the CPS.

The district judge at Salford Magistrates' Court ruled that the detention clock continues to run while the suspect is on bail from the police station.

Paul Hookway, a murder suspect, was first arrested at 12.40pm on November 7 last year.

A superintendent granted permission for him to be detained for up to 36 hours for questioning, but he was released on bail after about 28 hours.

Five months later, on April 5, police applied to the courts to extend the period of detention from 36 hours to the maximum allowed of 96 hours.

But the district judge refused the application, saying that the 96 hours had expired months ago.

Greater Manchester Police applied to the High Court for a judicial review of the case, but Mr Justice McCombe upheld the district judge's decision on May 19 and refused leave to appeal.

The force is now seeking leave to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Well they've only had five weeks (since the original ruling) to prepare for this so give them time.

I did expect emergency legislation to be presented today, but I guess when you have window dressing for ministerial appointments then tiger skin shoes will only get you so far.

It seemed to appear that they weren't even sure when emergency legislation was going to be presented.

I suppose ACPO and their legal advice haven't quite decided upon what they want in it, yet.

Edit: Aren't there were quite a few legal experts in the Home Office (and one or two in the government)? Why, when the Home Office were told of the oral judgement, did they not look at getting advice themselves. If only the government had someone whom they could turn to for legal advice, some kind of senior legal advisor. An attorney general, perhaps.

Cop tasers, arrests parking officer

A Cleveland parking enforcement officer was Tasered and arrested Thursday afternoon following a confrontation with a Cleveland policeman.

Sgt. Sammy Morris said the incident began around 4:30 p.m., when the on-duty parking officer stopped his city car in the middle of traffic on Walnut Court, west of East 12th Street.

A Cleveland policeman stopped and questioned the parking officer about why he had stopped his car in the road. The man argued with the police officer and the two began to struggle. The police officer pulled put his Taser and shocked the parking officer.

But the parking officer recovered from the effects of the Taser and ran away. He was caught on East 9th Street and St. Clair Avenue. Morris said the man had an illegal knife.

The 31-year-old man was arrested for impeding the flow of traffic, failure to comply, escape and carrying a concealed weapon.

Would have been better if it was an off-duty cop tasering a metermaid who ticketed his car, but this will have to do.

When did the Police move away from being upholders of the law to interpreters of the law.

Had a blazing row with some knobhead inspector in toxteth earlier, who was telling me he didn't consider the person we were talking about to have committed a crime...

He didn't like it when I told him I couldn't give a damn what he thought as his thoughts really weren't relevant. A crime had been committed and his job was to investigate and prepare a report for the Crown Prosecution Service and it was up to them to decide if this person in question was a witness or a defendant.

Mind you he wasn't happy anyway as the only reason he spoke to me in the first place was I told him I'd take it to the IPCC if he didn't do something about it.

They really are still out there trying to massage the crime figures downwards.

Â