Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

In light of the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill....

GMP making a rod for thewir own (and our) backs here

Law firm takes up case of nurse fined £10,000 for 1% pay protest

One of the UK’s biggest police forces is refusing to back down after being accused of wrongly issuing a £10,000 fine to a nurse who was protesting over the government’s 1% pay rise for NHS workers, reigniting concern over new powers to inhibit protest.

Karen Reissmann, 61, who has worked as a frontline nurse throughout the pandemic, was handed the fine in March despite offering a risk assessment of her protest to Greater Manchester police (GMP) and ensuring it was Covid-safe. On 1 April, London law firm Bindmans, acting on Reissmann’s behalf, wrote to GMP saying that the way the force had interpreted the law was wrong, that the protest should have been allowed to proceed, and that it should also withdraw the fine. [...]

Guardian / Observer

It's the first I've heard of this case but it does show that handing more powers to the Police in determining what is and isn't legal is an effing stupid idea

If GMP had been actively policing the pandemic for lockdown breaches you might understand their position ever so slightly but no police force in the country has done much but pay lip service to it, then they decided that a fully risk assessed, number limited protest outdoors is worthy of the full hit £10,000 fine.

The article is worth a full read, it's quite illuminating as to the thought processes (or lack of them) going on here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My partner's dad has an ongoing civil case with the court in town, he runs his own business and the case pertains to an ex-employee (won't go into more details but he's innocent for sure). The criminal case is over, not guilty (not even a case to be heard). Now he's going through the civil case.

The court asked him for address information of 2 people related to the case, his lawyer told him to refuse as this information should available to them. They sent two letters via post, to both he said he won't be providing it.

Me and my partner currently live with them, as our house gets built. It's a nice day so we're in our inflatable pool, reading, drinking chilling. Her parents are away.

The bell goes, (bearing in mind it's like half 4 now) 2 **** armed police show up to give a third letter. For a civil court case, on a **** Sunday. Making a formal complaint, absolute joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Surely today was the final straw for Cressida Dick?

The scenes in Trafalgar Square, unticketed england fans getting in to Wembley.

Where on earth was the security for an international televised live event? Drunks and thugs just gatecrashing the place.

Dangerously shambolic. But I suppose, who could possibly have foreseen trouble at the end of a long weekend in London.

• Like 2

It's ridiculously easy to get into Wembley without a ticket, been obvious last few times I've been down with the Villa that there have been plenty in the ground who just stormed the barriers with their mates. It's basically an open secret. Does seem like the police have done a poor job preparing for today

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

It's ridiculously easy to get into Wembley without a ticket, been obvious last few times I've been down with the Villa that there have been plenty in the ground who just stormed the barriers with their mates. It's basically an open secret. Does seem like the police have done a poor job preparing for today

They’ve been very very lucky it was coked up england fans and not an armed group.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

They’ve been very very lucky it was coked up england fans and not an armed group.

I've long thought that football matches are uniquely vulnerable/appealing for such an attack, and sadly I do think it's only a matter of time before we see something of that nature at a football ground

On 12/07/2021 at 00:29, icouldtelltheworld said:

According to Radio 4 this morning, it was indeed an open secret.

It had happened to a small extent for the Scotland game, it had increased for the Denmark game, but they made no security changes and no extra staff or policing for the Final.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

There's not a game at Wembley that doesn't have a few hundred jibbers in there, the scale of it this was unprecedented in modern times though

If they’re not careful, there could be some sort of major incident somewhere in the country.

Then we’ll have to have decades of enquiries and the police will have to promise lessons have been learnt and new procedures put in place.

I just posted in the final thread in other football about how the breaching of Wembley was orchestrated and pre-planned.

Story is here

One of the organisers of the storming of Wembley by thousands of ticketless fans has defended the widely criticised breach, as more details emerged about the scale of the security lapse.

Pablo (not his real name), a 24-year-old from the Midlands, was one of the administrators of a Telegram chat group of hundreds of ticketless fans who shared tips about getting into Sunday’s final. Hours before the kickoff those who succeeded advised those still outside on where breaches had been made, he explained.

I knew something was up as a bus load of “lads” from my way went down to the final. I couldn’t believe they all got tickets. Such was their confidence they were posting the night before about going to the game.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Anyone seen this? About as dystopian as it gets.

A US police officer played a Taylor Swift song on his phone in a bid to prevent activists who were filming him uploading the video to YouTube.

The video platform regularly removes videos that break music copyright rules.

However, the officer's efforts were in vain as the clip of the encounter in Oakland, California promptly went viral.

Alameda County police told the BBC it was not "approved behaviour".

The video was filmed by members of the Anti Police-Terror Project (APTP), which says it is a coalition that seeks to "eradicate police terror in communities of colour".

Some of them were protesting outside the courthouse at the pre-trial hearing of a San Leandro officer charged with the manslaughter of a black man.

In the video, the officer says: "You can record all you want, I just know it can't be posted to YouTube."

When asked if playing music in this way is procedure, the officer responds: "It's not specifically outlined."

Later in the video, he confirms: "I'm playing music so that you can't post on YouTube."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57698858

• 3 weeks later...

“Right lads, we’re harder than these, we can turn ‘em over. C’monnnnnn!”

”We need a big score here, because next up we’ve got protective ring around Wembley and that’s not looking winnable.”

• 1 month later...

Oh Paul, you did this without any consideration whatsoever as to whether I should repost this in the police state thread or the BBC thread, didn’t you? Throwing punches everywhere with a blatant disregard for going off topic in threads. You narrowly missed out on the cheery tweet thread as well, me laddo.

Because your original point was giving Cressida a kicking, I’ll put it here. If your televised bout with the higher ups of the beeb transpires, it shall be posted in the appropriate thread.

Â