Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

33 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That’s nothing, in Australia uniformed officers patrol through popular bars with sniffer dogs in tow on a Friday and Saturday night.

It puts a bit of a damper on your after work drinks when two cops are standing by your table and a police dog is sniffing round your pockets. 

So you know 100% that they are police officers?

With this, imagine going to an unfamiliar pub and ordering a soft drink or really taking your time having a drink. It really is Stasi-esque

I'm sure the "If you've got nothing to hide" brigade will be all over this like it's the best idea since sliced bread but they as usual have the intellect of three week old road-kill

A single female leaves a bar, 30 seconds later a single male does the same - quick - follow him.... jesus wept, it's such a bad idea

• Like 3

My local MP (Robbie Moore - not keen on an MP being called Robbie but as a Rob I'm probably biased) has tweeted that he will be supporting the Police Bill and that it's fantastic. What kind of response is he expecting to that? Probably not the one he got. I doubt he's even read it. 

So the response to a murder of a woman by an off duty police officer is to have more police officers in plain clothes watching over women in pubs....

Can someone switch off the real life satire generators please

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

So the response to a murder of a woman by an off duty police officer is to have more police officers in plain clothes watching over women in pubs....

It's easily fixed. Squads of plain clothes officers following those officers to make sure they aren't getting up to anything. 

Then probably some officers following those officers, just to be sure.

• Haha 1

For me a fundamental problem in the uk is walking home at nightime.its dangerous walking alone at night time.the government and police need to look at ways to make it safer for people who wnat to walk home.

I dont know about anyone else but i could nevee walk home by myself with headphones on. I like to hear whats around me

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me a fundamental problem in the uk is walking home at nightime.its dangerous walking alone at night time.the government and police need to look at ways to make it safer for people who wnat to walk home.

I dont know about anyone else but i could nevee walk home by myself with headphones on. I like to hear whats around me

No doubt worse in London, and maybe I’m naive or just haven’t yet been affected but I just don’t live with this fear.

I accept it could happen, any time because there are psychopaths out there but I don’t allow it to govern my choices and I certainly don’t live in fear of it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Struggling to see why one psychopath who murdered somebody and who just happened to be a police officer means that all police officers should be tainted by association. Or should we be suspicious of all GPs after the worst serial killer in UK history was a doctor?

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

Struggling to see why one psychopath who murdered somebody and who just happened to be a police officer means that all police officers should be tainted by association. Or should we be suspicious of all GPs after the worst serial killer in UK history was a doctor?

I'm struggling to see why you thought that was the intent of my post tbh

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

It’s not as though undercover police have ever taken the names of dead babies and then fathered children with women and then disappeared out of their lives.

Nothing to see here. 

Just the state going undercover to protect us. Again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

What was the intent then?

To point out what a f***ing stupid idea it was

You'd need more fingers than you have on one hand to count the police officers I've assisted in investigations, just today, my day off. I have nothing against the police, I do however think they should act in accordance with the law (Just ask the Inspector that had to appologise to a judge because of me last week) and not be put up to utterly stupid f***witted politically motivated stunts like this one that have massive civil liberty consequences for everybody

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No doubt worse in London, and maybe I’m naive or just haven’t yet been affected but I just don’t live with this fear.

I accept it could happen, any time because there are psychopaths out there but I don’t allow it to govern my choices and I certainly don’t live in fear of 

This all over, it's peoples perception of the danger on the streets that surrenders the streets. Yes crime exists but its a rare event, don't surrender to fear. I don't, I ride my bike home from work after 12am most nights and through a roughish estate. Done it for 10 years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

To point out what a f***ing stupid idea it was

Whether it's a stupid idea or not is one thing. What does the fact that the psycho who killed Sarah Everard was a policeman have to do with it?

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

Whether it's a stupid idea or not is one thing. What does the fact that the psycho who killed Sarah Everard was a policeman have to do with it?

6 hours ago, bickster said:

The current events have created a window for discussion in my own circle of family and friends.

The number of stories of groping, and people needing to run home because something has happened, of lifts home in a car that turned bad, of works drinks events that turned bad and of even being walked home and then that person expecting a ‘reward’ for keeping the woman safe.

To trivialise it with what basically amounts to “I’m not scared, so you should man up’ is a massive part of the problem.

I’ve been shocked some of the stories I’ve heard in the last few days. And the answer cannot be that women need to be chaperoned, get home before its dark,  or grow a pair.

• Like 3

Â