Pre -Match Thread

villa89

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here and am more than happy with that midfield 3 starting tomorrow, but since our away game at Palace prior to tomorrow's fixture, they will have played twice in 25 days, they really shouldn't be knackered!

Maybe with McGinn it's the amount of running he does, Nakamba 2 games in, adjusting to the league ETC, but (probably for another thread) aren't footballers mollycoddled! Us average footballers will do a 9 hour shift at work then go straight for a game then, repeat week-in-week-out!

Anyway, I like the team above, just feel that the game is important for building momentum & confidence.

Agreed and in reality a footballer should be able to play two games in a week comfortably.

However in the second half on Sunday the midfield grew tired, their legs went and we were overrun resulting in us sitting deeper and deeper back.

My worry is if they play both tomorrow and Saturday, instead of tiring on 70 minutes they will instead tire on 60 minutes and the pressure will be even greater.

As you say though momentum and confidence could really be built up with a win and a strong performance. And if we do win without the majority of the first 11 it doesn't really help us all that much in that respect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Against Crewe I argued the case for us to play a strong team and try to go for a decent cup run this season.

However I am now firmly back in the play a second string camp. The way the season has gone so far we need to be looking ahead to Saturday's game, the cup is no longer important right now. Hopefully by January we will be in a position to give the FA Cup a good go. In saying this I think the team we put out should still be able to win the game, as no doubt Brighton will also play a weakened side.

Some of our players are crying out for a rest, this showed in the last 20 minutes against Arsenal. Nakamba, Grealish and McGinn should be nowhere near this for me.

The only players I would be tempted by would be Trezeguet as he has only played one game recently and Wesley who has now scored and would take some confidence with another goal.

lineup (1).png

It'll be this apart from El Ghazi in for Trez I think.

Need Targett stretching out those hamstrings before the game. I want a good 60/70 mins from him with a view to starting v Burnley.

personally would go:

Steer, Targett, Hause, Konsa, Elmo, Douglas Luiz, Lansbury, Hourihane, Jota, Ramsey or Archer, Davis.

in fact, Archer wasnt involved in the recent U23 game, so i assume he will be on the bench as a minimum for this game.

Would give Targett 60 mins with a view to him going in to the first team at the weekend. (not sure how much longer i can take of Taylor)

Edited by MaVilla

14 hours ago, John said:

A win might start a winning run and although the league game against them is clearly far more vital, we are both likely to be resting players, so why not win this one as well?

Our last defeat at Brighton was in 1980 and we went on to win the title that season :hooray:. Our only cup/shield defeat in the 4 games we have played, came in the first meeting between the two clubs in the 1910 Charity Shield. Overall we have won 11 and have drawn 7 of the 22 meetings that there have been between the two clubs. 

A win, with Jed once again possibly sealing it with his penalty shoot out heroics would be nice. Just do it to Villa! :)    

So lose and the title will be ours again? Watch us win now :P

• Haha 1

nah, probably not. 

Can't wait, always look forward to matches and this should be a good game for the back ups. Obviously Burnley is the more important game this week, but I'm, a firm believer in winning breeding winning, and the players need confidence. Could really do with the likes of Davis and Hourihane making a strong case for starting a match in the league though

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rodders said:

nah, probably not. 

Can't wait, always look forward to matches and this should be a good game for the back ups. Obviously Burnley is the more important game this week, but I'm, a firm believer in winning breeding winning, and the players need confidence. Could really do with the likes of Davis and Hourihane making a strong case for starting a match in the league though

If they start massive game for Hourihane, Lansbury, Davis, Targett, Luiz...