Pre -Match Thread

villa89

Obviously Saturday is more important than this one, but imagine what a boost of confidence it would give us to get a victory here, on our travels, against a premier league rival - it would do us the world of good.

I think it is a perfect opportunity to try a different system, give some fringe players game time and still remain competitive.

I would go 4-2-3-1 and line up with; 

Steer

Guilbert        Konsa       Mings          Targett

Luiz            Lansbury

Jota         Grealish     Hourihane

Davis

Subs; Heaton, Elmo, Engels, Hause, Trezeguet, Wesley, Archer

Fancy us to win this one - 1-3!

Yeah in light of all the injustice that's gone on in the league campaign over the past 2 games, I really can't get myself to give much of a shit about this game tbqh.  It's in the way of the Burnley game for me.

• Like 2

It's a good chance for Smith to try something different, a free hit and hopefully we give some other players a game.

It would be nice to win it but in reality the cup will not be the priority of the club at the moment as we're sat in the bottom 3. Perhaps if our fortunes turn in the next couple of months we can give the FA Cup a proper go, but the League Cup is a little bit of a distraction at this stage of the season.

I'm normally very keen to do well in cup competitions, but I feel so deflated from the last few weeks of disappointment that I just want 3 points in the league, I don't really mind what happens in the cup. Having said that, it is a good chance to right some wrongs immediately and a win would be very good for morale at a time where we can't seem to buy one for love or money. 

I'd play a strong team and maybe experiment with the formation, maybe one in which Grealish isn't part of a three man midfield but playing further forward. We really could do with winning a trophy and this competition alongside the FA Cup represents our best chance, also a win away to a premier league side would give us some confidence for the league. A defeat would just add to our woes.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Perfect chance for players like Conor who are knocking on the door of the first team to claim a place for Burnley this weekend. We have the team to compete. I'd love to get a result here and be through to the QFs (I think). This time 7 years ago we were beating Man City away and was really the birth of Benteke as we knew him. I'd play this team:

Steer

Elmo   Konsa    Hause    Targett

Luiz

Hourihane      Lansbury

El Ghazi                              Jota

Davis

• Like 3

I think we need a win tbh. Losing easy becomes a bad habit so we need to change that ASAP to help get us boosted for the league. 

going to the game so hoping for a positive outcome just to get some momentum running. 

• Like 1

Winning games breeds confidence and it gives the "squad players" a perfect opportunity to stake a claim for a starting place on Saturday, I for one hope we are bang at it on Wednesday night.

In the Championship we were playing 3 games in 7 days quite regularly therefore fitness shouldn't really be an issue, particularly coming off the back of an International break - that said I am more than happy resting a few as we have more than capable players who should be chomping at the bit!

I would be more than happy with either @Keyblade or @Czechlad's team above to be honest, I think on paper we should be good enough, however I have seen us many times go out with a whimper in these cup competitions and I really would like this year for us to have a decent cup run. We're ASTON VILLA FC, 7 FA Cups, 5 league cups ETC, it's been far too long since our last success (play off aside), let's change the mentality, it doesn't have to be lose tomorrow / win Saturday, how's about WIN tomorrow WIN Saturday, what a week that would be heading into the fixture with Norwich.

Against Crewe I argued the case for us to play a strong team and try to go for a decent cup run this season.

However I am now firmly back in the play a second string camp. The way the season has gone so far we need to be looking ahead to Saturday's game, the cup is no longer important right now. Hopefully by January we will be in a position to give the FA Cup a good go. In saying this I think the team we put out should still be able to win the game, as no doubt Brighton will also play a weakened side.

Some of our players are crying out for a rest, this showed in the last 20 minutes against Arsenal. Nakamba, Grealish and McGinn should be nowhere near this for me.

The only players I would be tempted by would be Trezeguet as he has only played one game recently and Wesley who has now scored and would take some confidence with another goal.

lineup (1).png

A win might start a winning run and although the league game against them is clearly far more vital, we are both likely to be resting players, so why not win this one as well?

Our last defeat at Brighton was in 1980 and we went on to win the title that season :hooray:. Our only cup/shield defeat in the 4 games we have played, came in the first meeting between the two clubs in the 1910 Charity Shield. Overall we have won 11 and have drawn 7 of the 22 meetings that there have been between the two clubs. 

A win, with Jed once again possibly sealing it with his penalty shoot out heroics would be nice. Just do it to Villa! :)    

• Like 2

I agree with most of the line ups. I see Chester played for the u23s last night. I think it would be good to get him some mins. 

Ramsey scored twice in the u23 game too so I'd like to see him make the bench too. 

I'd really like Targett to stake a claim for the starting LB spot. I think Taylor has been better than I'd have expected this season but I think Targett brings that little bit extra. 

Steer

Elmo Konsa Hause Targett

Luiz

Jota Lansbury Hourihane Trez

Davis

Subs: Heaton, Chester, Guilbert, Marv, Grealish, Ramsey, Wesley

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Against Crewe I argued the case for us to play a strong team and try to go for a decent cup run this season.

However I am now firmly back in the play a second string camp. The way the season has gone so far we need to be looking ahead to Saturday's game, the cup is no longer important right now. Hopefully by January we will be in a position to give the FA Cup a good go. In saying this I think the team we put out should still be able to win the game, as no doubt Brighton will also play a weakened side.

Some of our players are crying out for a rest, this showed in the last 20 minutes against Arsenal. Nakamba, Grealish and McGinn should be nowhere near this for me.

The only players I would be tempted by would be Trezeguet as he has only played one game recently and Wesley who has now scored and would take some confidence with another goal.

lineup (1).png

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here and am more than happy with that midfield 3 starting tomorrow, but since our away game at Palace prior to tomorrow's fixture, they will have played twice in 25 days, they really shouldn't be knackered!

Maybe with McGinn it's the amount of running he does, Nakamba 2 games in, adjusting to the league ETC, but (probably for another thread) aren't footballers mollycoddled! Us average footballers will do a 9 hour shift at work then go straight for a game then, repeat week-in-week-out!

Anyway, I like the team above, just feel that the game is important for building momentum & confidence.