New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Such what if maybe nonsense. This is the kind of junk signing we made that got us relegated. He doesn't fit the profile of our new board thank goodness

What kind of similar signing to current Benteke did we even make the season we got relegated? If I remember correctly we mostly signed lots of young French players that year who never played in the PL before, the kind of signings the current board seems to be looking at.

Edit: Not just the French, but most of our money went to just young players in general who've never really played in the PL before that year.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

21 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

What kind of similar signing to current Benteke did we even make the season we got relegated? If I remember correctly we mostly signed lots of young French players that year who never played in the PL before, the kind of signings the current board seems to be looking at.

Edit: Not just the French, but most of our money went to just young players in general who've never really played in the PL before that year.

Out of form players that used to be decent or in some cases not much. Richards Lescott Richardson etc. Benteke has been shit for 2 and a bit seasons

Edited by Kiwivillan

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Which indications? Heard no such thing though most managers dislike the January window. Bowen won't go for less than 20m

20m? Don't be silly he'll have 5 months left on his contract come the end of Jan so unless Hull are happy to see him move for free in the summer I can see his fee being 10-15m. 

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I know he's been bad since he left Villa. But back on friendly turf, he might have something left in the tank. We could probably get him at a massive discount too.

What harm could it do if we were to bring him back in on the cheap, that's the only way is do it is if he's be willing to drop his wages and sign on the cheap. People often slate the players for not having done so well since leaving, I however always try to see what could come of this and I do see a possible outcome. Imagine if he comes in and rediscovered himself, if he were to show willingness that money is no object no more that his mindset is changed he mite yet rediscover the player he was once with us. It can happen and I think those who tear apart a player because of some past bad form are wrong, player can rediscover themselves again, he's 28 and I think has possibly another run in him to which ever club take him in next.

Doesn't mean we don't also bring in a back up option does it, we make sure we fully cover ourselves and bring in a striker to go out there first, make Benteke fight his way into the first team. The wrong way to do it with Teke is to say look you'd be our first striker, make him see that he's second or third choice and see if he wants to come back. I tell you what if he chose to come back at cut price, lower wages and knew he was second or even third choice striker would say a great deal about his character would it not? 

Teke is also a better option than anything we have now sitting on the bench, so yeah if he can fight his way back into the team it'd be for positive reasons under Smith. Smith and the Coaches could prob get a tune out of him again, it's not guarenteed but then again nothing ever is. I just find myself looking at our situation and thinking who could Wesley learn from, who could we bring in if we've only got a small amount to spend now on someone like Bowen, all while having another option in place, Teke would be that answer providing he meets our needs of signing for lower.

Bowen, Wesley and Benteke, it's almost mouth watering to me.

9 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

First of all, the foreign players we have signed have all gone on to reasonably well. A lot of them are starting for teams in Europe a competitions. The problem was we also signed Richards and Lescott to be our centre halves. We rightfully got slaughtered every game and because we couldn't win the ball back none of our decent players could do anything with it. We still may not have stayed up but at least it wouldn't have been so embarrassing.

The morale of the story don't rely on washed up has beens not all of them are as good as Terry was. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zab6359 said:

20m? Don't be silly he'll have 5 months left on his contract come the end of Jan so unless Hull are happy to see him move for free in the summer I can see his fee being 10-15m. 

£15m for a Championship player with an expiring contract would still be silly, so would £10m

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Hull have the option for another year on Bowen... which they will no doubt activate.

Also because he is under 24. Compensation will have to be paid to Hull by any club obtaining him on a bosman.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

What harm could it do if we were to bring him back in on the cheap, that's the only way is do it is if he's be willing to drop his wages and sign on the cheap. People often slate the players for not having done so well since leaving, I however always try to see what could come of this and I do see a possible outcome. Imagine if he comes in and rediscovered himself, if he were to show willingness that money is no object no more that his mindset is changed he mite yet rediscover the player he was once with us. It can happen and I think those who tear apart a player because of some past bad form are wrong, player can rediscover themselves again, he's 28 and I think has possibly another run in him to which ever club take him in next.

Doesn't mean we don't also bring in a back up option does it, we make sure we fully cover ourselves and bring in a striker to go out there first, make Benteke fight his way into the first team. The wrong way to do it with Teke is to say look you'd be our first striker, make him see that he's second or third choice and see if he wants to come back. I tell you what if he chose to come back at cut price, lower wages and knew he was second or even third choice striker would say a great deal about his character would it not? 

Teke is also a better option than anything we have now sitting on the bench, so yeah if he can fight his way back into the team it'd be for positive reasons under Smith. Smith and the Coaches could prob get a tune out of him again, it's not guarenteed but then again nothing ever is. I just find myself looking at our situation and thinking who could Wesley learn from, who could we bring in if we've only got a small amount to spend now on someone like Bowen, all while having another option in place, Teke would be that answer providing he meets our needs of signing for lower.

Bowen, Wesley and Benteke, it's almost mouth watering to me.

I'm up for having Benteke back.  I'm generally of the club that dont like taking players back but for some reason I wouldnt mind having him back for the right price.  The type of player he is/can be is what we need and unless we have vasts amount of money to spend then our options are limited.  We know he has the ability if not showing at the moment and maybe some turf he knows may suit him.

Who knows, most transfers are risky so why not.

• Like 1

Let’s move on from this benteke nonsense once and for all as  he will never be the player he was (for us) again for a top flight English team . FACT ! He has had his day in the sun and will no doubt retire to China in a year or so max .... Guys scoring record is atrocious and not what we need. Wouldn’t touch him even on a free ... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sne said:

£15m for a Championship player with an expiring contract would still be silly, so would £10m

See below!

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Hull have the option for another year on Bowen... which they will no doubt activate.

Also because he is under 24. Compensation will have to be paid to Hull by any club obtaining him on a bosman.

Yeah wasn't aware of the option when I Initially posted, personally I wouldn't want Villa to pay 20mil for him, he's good but if we are spending 20mil I'd rather spend it on Eberechi Eze and Karlan Grant.

23 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

See below!

Yeah wasn't aware of the option when I Initially posted, personally I wouldn't want Villa to pay 20mil for him, he's good but if we are spending 20mil I'd rather spend it on Eberechi Eze and Karlan Grant.

Saying that last night he was played as a No 10 and scored two! So he's bagging goals as a CF, a winger and a No 10! Not saying he's worth 20mil but I have a feeling he will score goals at wherever he ends up.

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

Saying that last night he was played as a No 10 and scored two! So he's bagging goals as a CF, a winger and a No 10! Not saying he's worth 20mil but I have a feeling he will score goals at wherever he ends up.

Even as a RB at Newcastle? :D 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Just watching the PNE v Hull game, Bowen scoring and assists plays really well with Grosicki.

**** David Nugent just came on! Not heard that name for a while!

I was watching Derby Villa a couple of years ago with a mate who is a Utd fan and only saw Championship games when we watched them together.

He couldn't believe the Derby team we were playing - they had such luminaries as Nugent, Carson, Huddlestone and Davies. I did enjoy the nostalgia of that team myself.

10 hours ago, zab6359 said:

My understanding is that Hull have the option of a one year extension. I think a few clubs will be interested in him.

What Villa need in the Jan transfer window is for Smith and Jesus to deliver what the messiah O'Neil did in 2007.

Getting rid of dead wood Milan Baros and bringing in the legend Big John Carew in a swap deal in the window must be up there alongside Platt, McGrath and McGinn as the greatest bit of business in the history of transfers.

If smith can put in a repeat performance by swapping Kodjia for some european journeyman who's never really found his home but constantly delivered then we will comfortably hit my target of top 10 finish.

There must be some experienced guy out there who can come in and make an impact. As long as his names not mario we will be alright.