New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

5 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

Closer to the £30 million mark imo. Gerrard and the new sporting director (Ross Wilson who came from Southampton) have both said he's going nowhere in January. If we sold him, we're basically throwing away any chance we have of beating Celtic to the title imo.

30million for a player playing in a league that's arguably not even championship standard is pretty insane to me. Might be better for us to look else where for more value for money.

5 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

Closer to the £30 million mark imo. Gerrard and the new sporting director (Ross Wilson who came from Southampton) have both said he's going nowhere in January. If we sold him, we're basically throwing away any chance we have of beating Celtic to the title imo.

Bit of a tangent, but if HMRC are successfully sued because of their cock up would the club have any interest in this, or not as it's a new entity with new owners? I have seen HMRC dispute they made any error and I admit I don't know enough to make a judgement on this, so just speaking hypothetically.

I guess FFP would stop you blowing any hypothetical funds on transfers anyway.

Your last post his attitude improving vastly this year makes me way more interested in the signing.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

30million for a player playing in a league that's arguably not even championship standard is pretty insane to me. Might be better for us to look else where for more value for money.

The Scottish league is far better than people down south give it credit for imo. Very rarely do players move south and fail. I think any transfer involving Morelos will be a record breaking fee for Scottish football, so above Tierney's £25 million.

If Morelos keeps playing the way he is, avoids injury etc. Then the value a team could possibly agree in January may be a bit lower than what Rangers would be looking for in the summer when he will most definitely be sold.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Bit of a tangent, but if HMRC are successfully sued because of their cock up would the club have any interest in this, or not as it's a new entity with new owners? I have seen HMRC dispute they made any error and I admit I don't know enough to make a judgement on this, so just speaking hypothetically.

I guess FFP would stop you blowing any hypothetical funds on transfers anyway.

Your last post his attitude improving vastly this year makes me way more interested in the signing.

The Rangers chairman has previously spoken about merging the two, so he may have known about this. How feasible that is, I'm not sure. We are in a really good position at the moment both on and off the field, despite what many Celtic fans would have you believe. Hence we managed to spend £7M on signing Kent permanently.

With regards to Morelos, his attitude has vastly improved, he's not as confrontational when he receives a bad challenge, he is still playing with that fire but he's using it the right way. It's like he knows scoring goals will hurt them more than confronting them. He's got everything you would want or need in a striker, pace, power, aggression, vision, Awareness of everything around him. I accepted a while ago that we'll lose him, so I'm just enjoying him whilst I can. If and when he does leave, I would rather he go to Villa but if he keeps developing a the rate he is, I wouldn't rule out a big gun taking the chance on him. I know Man Utd and Spurs had scouts at the Porto away game. Now I don't believe they were there to specifically watch Morelos but he must have left an impression.

Edited by Hitzlsperger_12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2019 at 22:09, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

The Scottish league is far better than people down south give it credit for imo. Very rarely do players move south and fail. I think any transfer involving Morelos will be a record breaking fee for Scottish football, so above Tierney's £25 million.

If Morelos keeps playing the way he is, avoids injury etc. Then the value a team could possibly agree in January may be a bit lower than what Rangers would be looking for in the summer when he will most definitely be sold.

The Rangers chairman has previously spoken about merging the two, so he may have known about this. How feasible that is, I'm not sure. We are in a really good position at the moment both on and off the field, despite what many Celtic fans would have you believe. Hence we managed to spend £7M on signing Kent permanently.

With regards to Morelos, his attitude has vastly improved, he's not as confrontational when he receives a bad challenge, he is still playing with that fire but he's using it the right way. It's like he knows scoring goals will hurt them more than confronting them. He's got everything you would want or need in a striker, pace, power, aggression, vision, Awareness of everything around him. I accepted a while ago that we'll lose him, so I'm just enjoying him whilst I can. If and when he does leave, I would rather he go to Villa but if he keeps developing a the rate he is, I wouldn't rule out a big gun taking the chance on him. I know Man Utd and Spurs had scouts at the Porto away game. Now I don't believe they were there to specifically watch Morelos but he must have left an impression.

I wouldn't be upset if we paid close to £30m for him, he looks to have it all pace, aggression, he's able to pick a pass for others and can score goals from anywhere whether that is on the end of a cross or after a run from outside the box, he draws fouls from the opposition very similar to Jack and if he's learning not to react to those fouls that's great. I agree the SPL isn't as bad as some on here make out, we have spent £22m on a player in the Belgian league ffs!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Give me a break, by all accounts he’s improved his disciplinary record so I need to find something to point out as a potential downside 😝

I keep trying but to but I really think he would/could be a fantastic signing.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2019 at 13:39, Laughable Chimp said:

Definately. It's not that great players can't come from the spl. It's just a risk/reward case. Move on. 

On 19/11/2019 at 12:39, Laughable Chimp said:

We've seen this last season, from even ourselves, where clubs are putting high prices on there players not for what they can do for a club signing them but what they are worth to there current club and that's ok.

When you start getting leagues full of clubs that have to deal with FFP in a way that its tough for them to make money other than player sales, then it really is easy to see this type of reason of (he's this price because of what he's worth to us).

Bury may not of been expelled and might of had a chance playing the game this way, because it's now becoming the normal and those at the highest point of football will have no choice to pay the price for lower league clubs gems.

I'd be very happy if Gaitan came on a free, as in my opinion he'd provide more than any of our current wingers, by some distance.

Has won the Europa league, made the Europa League team of the season, been top assist provider in the Champions League over a season.

I haven't seen him play in some time so I checked, in hist last 30 odd MLS games he's either scored or assisted in over half those fixtures.

If we can get a player of his quality on a free, and reasonable wages, we're laughing. He went for 30million pounds just three years ago.

I really like the look of Benrahma, and I think he has a bright future ahead of him, but considering what we spent over the break, I'd go with Gaitan for sure.

53 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

And yet two of the best players in the league last season Salah and VVD  both played every game last season.

Yet Salah has consistently had an injury problem. Has been injured already this season. A lot of players aren't that durable so we don't want to risk players like engels or mings who could be said to be injury prone playing 40+ games. 

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Didn’t his contract run out in the summer? I hadn’t realised he didn’t have a new club yet and that would be a real concern for me. 

I haven't seen him play since he got his move to City, but judging by a quick inspection of his stats it would seem this is a definite no thanks.