New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

On 14/11/2019 at 23:50, avfc1982am said:

Just like John McGinn?! IMO someone like Morelos would be the right signing. He has aggression, Pace, shoots onsite, is a handful and can definitely head the ball. Oh and he's still young with plenty of room for improvement. 

I hear you there, and I'd go as far as to say we missed our chance of Maupay and this Morelos could be the better step up from Maupay and I really liked the idea of having Maupay at Villa 

Edited by Dave-R

On 14/11/2019 at 23:50, avfc1982am said:

Just like John McGinn?! IMO someone like Morelos would be the right signing. He has aggression, Pace, shoots onsite, is a handful and can definitely head the ball. Oh and he's still young with plenty of room for improvement. 

I like the sound of pace and aggression.....something, i think we need.

• Like 1

If we were a year further in our project I'd have liked us to try for Artem Dzyuba who sitting on an expiring contract at Zenith.

Guy is a force of nature, must be hell to play against. And at 31 he's having his possible best season in his career.

Too old to be a long term target but would have helped us no end this and next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

I've grown up a Rangers fan, my Villa love came along a bit later later (around the Little/Gregory eras). So I've been following Villa most of my 33yrs. I watch every Rangers game home, away, Europe.

I can say without a shadow of doubt, Morelos is the real deal. In recent years he's definitely the best striker we've had since Jelavic. In saying that, he's probably better than him already. Rangers have probably held on to him a season more than we should have due to his temperament issues last season but it's been a blessing. I think missing out on the Copa America squad with Colombia during the summer was when the penny dropped and his discipline has been amazing this season. Yes, he still has that fire but he's using it in the right way.

This season he's taken it to a new level, culminating with him bagging his 1st goal for Colombia over the weekend. His hold up play for someone so young is incredible, you can't even compare it to Wesley, he's miles ahead of him in the department. He's been dropping deeper to great effect this season, his passing is very good as well. People will always compare him to Edouard, both are very promising young strikers but Morelos hold up/link up play is far superior at this moment in time. I would also say he's a bit more mobile as well.

The only thing is, Rangers won't sell him in January unless it's funny money.

I know there is a lot of different opinions of Morelos on here, but imo if we had Morelos since the start of the season, we would have more points on the board, it's as simple as that.

I agree. I think most negative comments on here though are based around him playing in the SPL and lack of seeing him actually play. I also think he is suited to the CF role far more than Wes. IMO he is definitely good to go if we do go in for him. At 23 he gives us the options we have missed up front, pace, aggression, agility and the shoot onsite mentality a CF should have. Plus 20m is peanuts for a player that in 18months will command double that fee once he has played in a higher league(no disrespect). I think his ceiling is also far higher than Wes's is due to him being a more natural goal getter.  

• Like 2

On 17/11/2019 at 09:35, useless said:

Palace being linked with Edouard from Celtic, would cost a lot of money but the kind of player we should interested in.

so are Roma, Lazio and Napoli. Celtic asking for over 40 million

3 hours ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

I've grown up a Rangers fan, my Villa love came along a bit later later (around the Little/Gregory eras). So I've been following Villa most of my 33yrs. I watch every Rangers game home, away, Europe.

I can say without a shadow of doubt, Morelos is the real deal. In recent years he's definitely the best striker we've had since Jelavic. In saying that, he's probably better than him already. Rangers have probably held on to him a season more than we should have due to his temperament issues last season but it's been a blessing. I think missing out on the Copa America squad with Colombia during the summer was when the penny dropped and his discipline has been amazing this season. Yes, he still has that fire but he's using it in the right way.

This season he's taken it to a new level, culminating with him bagging his 1st goal for Colombia over the weekend. His hold up play for someone so young is incredible, you can't even compare it to Wesley, he's miles ahead of him in the department. He's been dropping deeper to great effect this season, his passing is very good as well. People will always compare him to Edouard, both are very promising young strikers but Morelos hold up/link up play is far superior at this moment in time. I would also say he's a bit more mobile as well.

The only thing is, Rangers won't sell him in January unless it's funny money.

I know there is a lot of different opinions of Morelos on here, but imo if we had Morelos since the start of the season, we would have more points on the board, it's as simple as that.

How much money would be considered "funny money" for Rangers?

Morelos has only every played in Colombia, Finland and Scotland, and has never scored against Celtic, the one team in Scotland that are anywhere near premier league quality. He's not someone I've seen a lot of, but I'd be weary of signing a player who mostly scores against teams that would probably struggle in the championship. Edouard on the other hand has scored an handful of goals against Rangers, and has scored goals against decent opposition in European competiton (Morelos has scored against Porto to be fair), and is younger and seems to get a lot of assists.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Morelos has scored a few times in europa at least. That was my big reservation in the summer when he was linked, think he just scored once in the competition last season when rangers were in group with Villareal.

Europa league has some pretty trash teams. The list of clubs he's scored against the Europa League this season is St Joseph's, a Gibraltar football club, FC midtjylland, a Danish football club and Legia Warszawa, a Polish football club. That's not really anywhere near premier league opposition.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

15 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

aren't they brassic? 10m will probably get them thinking. i dont want him anyway...have massive reservations about him. got a temper too

would love us to go for Goncalo Paciencia from Eintracht Frankfurt, only 25 and has scored quite a few goals in the Bundesliga and Europa league, pops up with the odd assist, very skillful on the ball also.  Would be pretty cheap at 20 Million Euros, I think Everton are after him this January also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, supermon said:

would love us to go for Goncalo Paciencia from Eintracht Frankfurt, only 25 and has scored quite a few goals in the Bundesliga and Europa league, pops up with the odd assist, very skillful on the ball also.  Would be pretty cheap at 20 Million Euros, I think Everton are after him this January also.

Beat me to it - he's in this article below! I've not seen him, or any of the others, play though so would be very interested in some opinions.

B. Mail (sorry, but some actual content) The hottest European strikers Aston Villa could target in January

Donyell Malen, PSV

One of the hottest prospects in European football, one-time Arsenal trainee Donyell Malen is a serious goal-getter all right who has 10 goals from 10 games in the Eredivisie.

The 20-year-old is currently out with an ankle injury and is being monitored by a host of Premier League clubs, as well as AC Milan.

Malen extended his contract at PSV in August just gone and would cost in the region of £50m, should Villa look to push the boat out.

The in-form striker has also been called up to the Dutch national team recently and would be a huge, long-term signing should suitors circle.

Myron Boadu, AZ

Staying in Holland, Alkmaar's teenage whizz kid Myron Boadu has 12 strikes from 16 games played this term, as well as registering five assists. Just 19, Boadu can also operate as a goal-scoring winger and he's on fire at the minute.

The Dutch youngster fits the transfer brief of Smith and Suso: young, talented with a potentially huge re-sale value. A deal for the pacy Boadu is far more likely than Malen of PSV, the latter looking destined for far bigger things. Boadu has rose through the youth ranks at AZ and has a market value of around £7m, which would no doubt be inflated given a: his form and b: a mid-season window.

Goncalo Paciencia, Eintracht Frankfurt

Just edging into Germany and the Bundesliga now, and Goncalo Paciencia could be one Villa are monitoring. The tall Portuguese target man is currently being rumoured with a move to Everton.

The 25-year-old is a real, goal-scoring centre-forward who's taken the German top tier by storm. Paciencia helped £45m Sebastien Haller flourish last season while stepping up to the plate himself this term. Contracted to Frankfurt until 2022, has a market value of over £10m while, this season, has a record of six goals from 11 games, including two assists.

Loren Moron, Real Betis

Moving south-west to Spain, a country technical director Suso knows like the back of his hand. The Villa transfer chief has somewhat of an unrivalled array of contacts across La Liga and, of course, worked at both Valencia and Atletico Madrid previously. We're heard reports that Villa scouts have been watching Villarreal games but, 400 miles east, Real Betis front man Loren Moron is in fine form.

Moron turns 26 in December and is currently level with Lionel Messi in the La Liga goal-scoring ranks with eight from nine starts. The Marbella-born forward is still quite raw and Smith could relish moulding him into a better player. Moron can operate on the wing, too. Again, like most of Villa's signings in the summer, the Betis man is worth around the £10m ballpark. Averages a goal every 109 minutes currently in Spain.

Jonathan David, KAA Gent

We're now going to a market Suso and Smith know well: the Belgian Pro League. The first of two Gent players on this list, New Yorker Jonathan David is hot like a freshly-toasted New York bagel at minute. David is just 19, too, while his brilliant record stands at eight goals from 14 games, notching four assists. He's also scored 11 from 11 for Canada after shunning the USMT.

David, though, is very much a second striker, who likes to float in and around strikers and could be the perfect foil for someone like Wesley. The Gent man has been playing as an attacking midfielder recently but his goal-scoring exploits certainly make him a viable option in an advanced play-maker role in and off a main striker.

Roman Yaremchuk, KAA Gent

David's Gent teammate, Ukrainian Roman Yaremchuk, is also enjoying a fine run of form having scored 14 from 21 in all competitions so far this season. He's also become a big hit for his national side having fired in five from 12 caps so far.

Yaremchuk is similar in size and stature to Wesley who can also play as a right or left-winger. Signed a contract extension to 2023 as recently as October 25 as Gent looked to put off the vultures but could be more than a viable option for Villa, a club who have had success in signing a striker from KAA Gent before in the form of Christian Benteke.

It's basically just using transfermarkt 'values' and listing a couple of stats, but compared to the rest of their content it's worthy of a Pulitzer.

Pictures in the article were removed to spare anyone scrolling on a phone, so spologies if anyone actually wanted to judge the hottest.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, useless said:

Morelos has only every played in Colombia, Finland and Scotland, and has never scored against Celtic, the one team in Scotland that are anywhere near premier league quality. He's not someone I've seen a lot of, but I'd be weary of signing a player who mostly scores against teams that would probably struggle in the championship. Edouard on the other hand has scored an handful of goals against Rangers, and has scored goals against decent opposition in European competiton (Morelos has scored against Porto to be fair), and is younger and seems to get a lot of assists.

Celtic are better than Rangers, though.  It's a really odd thing to compare.  Morelos has a better scoring record than Edouard.  If Edouard has scored against Rangers and Morelos not against Celtic, then it means Morelos is scoring even more so than Edouard against everyone else in the league.

Judge them on how they play rather than a stat against each team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Closer to the £30 million mark imo. Gerrard and the new sporting director (Ross Wilson who came from Southampton) have both said he's going nowhere in January. If we sold him, we're basically throwing away any chance we have of beating Celtic to the title imo.