New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

I got battered on Twitter for saying morelos is a red card waiting to happen from fans saying I've never seen him play etc.

Well, i do kind of follow Celtic who are the only really other good team in that league consistency wise and morelos hasn't exactly done the business against them. Against lower teams sure, but not Celtic. 

Too much of a gamble in my view

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope we don't fall in to trap with Morelos.....i am not sure how serious the interest is, but it could be another 20 mill on the wrong horse.

He needs to be watched carefully to have any idea......the number of goals he has scored can be misleading, in that league.

Jermaine defoe has scored 18 goals for Rangers ( on loan) and 4 for Bournemouth.

having played a similar amount of games 28 & 27 respectively.

I think we need to be really careful with our next signing.

We need to be grateful for the player.....not the player grateful to play for us.

I don't rate him.. You are right!!!

57 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

A 33 year old striker who has scored 2 league goals since the start of last season?

giphy.gif

Looks bad but must of his appearances were off the bench. He has scored 11 in 15 in Europe. 

I think he would be ok until the end of the season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the lad at Rangers on youtube. Appreciate  it’s a s**t league but he looks pacey, mobile, has 2 good feet, cracking shot on him and seems a bit of a poacher. 

Rangers fans rate him very highly. He is good, but a gamble for sure.

Buying players from Leagues that are three or four levels below the Premier is always a gamble. Whether Morelos could step up is a very is a tough call considering that Rangers will want top dollar.

I think buying from the Championship is a bit safer.

Morales feels like the sort of buy Steve Bruce would make tbh. Just looks at the scoring charts of SPL and championship and signs high scoring forward without any idea how he'll fit into the team's style of play e.g Hogan.

I'm not saying he's all bad as he at least is actually scoring goals in europa league this season which is highly quality opposition compared to SPL but would still be big risk to me.

I remember years back we were briefly linked to Nicola Jelavic when he was banging them in for Rangers. Can't remember how good his scoring road was for Everton and Hull (signed by Steve Bruce) but don't think it was that great, could be wrong though.

I'd like us to sign a reasonably proven option, we go with youth in the forward areas a lot but always feels to me that area where you need someone experienced particularly as the lead forward.

I think from his performances so far it would've been much better for his development if Wes had been a squad striker and got his minutes from sub games and also starting in cups. Just playing him week in week out without little threat to his place and when he's struggling isn't helping I don't think. If we had an experienced head ready to play then we can be more flexible with his long term development.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Morales feels like the sort of buy Steve Bruce would make tbh.

Just like John McGinn?! IMO someone like Morelos would be the right signing. He has aggression, Pace, shoots onsite, is a handful and can definitely head the ball. Oh and he's still young with plenty of room for improvement. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I remember years back we were briefly linked to Nicola Jelavic when he was banging them in for Rangers. Can't remember how good his scoring road was for Everton and Hull (signed by Steve Bruce) but don't think it was that great, could be wrong though.

Played 42 times in the premier league for Hull under Bruce, Missed a couple of months through injury the second season he was there & i would probably say that if he had been playing in March/April it may well have been us that went down that year instead of them.

Got 13 goals & 2 assists so a goal just over every 3 games but if you take his average playing time of 74 mins per game it works out at a goal every 2.6 full 90 minute games. Doesn't seem completely terrible for a 7 million quid striker they got half the money back for 18 months later

It’s always a risk buying a player from an average league. But surely the club will assess the player in isolation. His physical attributes, movement, ability on the ball etc.  

In terms of goals I think any striker that has hopes to move on needs to be averaging near a goal a game in that league.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Morales feels like the sort of buy Steve Bruce would make tbh. Just looks at the scoring charts of SPL and championship and signs high scoring forward without any idea how he'll fit into the team's style of play e.g Hogan.

I'm not saying he's all bad as he at least is actually scoring goals in europa league this season which is highly quality opposition compared to SPL but would still be big risk to me.

I'd like us to sign a reasonably proven option, we go with youth in the forward areas a lot but always feels to me that area where you need someone experienced particularly as the lead forward.

I think from his performances so far it would've been much better for his development if Wes had been a squad striker and got his minutes from sub games and also starting in cups. Just playing him week in week out without little threat to his place and when he's struggling isn't helping I don't think. If we had an experienced head ready to play then we can be more flexible with his long term development.

The thing is Dean had been watching Wes for some time allegedly....just saying, not criticising.

I think what worries me is despite him being built to fight the world.....He does not bully opponents.....players far less equipped physically are making a better fist of making things happen for then.....take the Burnley boys, there 3 have more intent of making you make mistakes, particularly that rottweiler Ashley Barnes.....He is no where near as imposing as Wes,stature wise.......Its all in the make-up.

It seems we can only foul when we get physical.....We need to be more rugged and dogged, but keep under the fouling radar.

I think Wes has a lot to learn about the physical side of the game.......Then he may be able to apply his talent better.....He is being negated far too easily.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is Dean had been watching Wes for some time allegedly....just saying, not criticising.

I think what worries me is despite him being built to fight the world.....He does not bully opponents.....players far less equipped physically are making a better fist of making things happen for then.....take the Burnley boys, there 3 have more intent of making you make mistakes, particularly that rottweiler Ashley Barnes.....He is no where near as imposing as Wes.......Its all in the make-up.

It seems we can only foul when we get physical.....We need to be more rugged and dogged, but keep under the fouling radar.

I think Wes has a lot to learn about the physical side of the game.......Then he may be able to apply his talent better.....He is being negated far too easily.

I think wes is too big for his own good. He is so big he doesn't get rewarded for small niggling fouls on him but when he does it back or just uses his strength it is instantly a foul. It is why he has fouled the 2nd most so far this year. He definitely needs to be more crafty with his strength but when he gets the ball to feet he is quite good at getting his body in the way and playing decent football provided the defender doesn't go through him which is never called for the foul.

He does well at getting into good positions in the box but we need to find him more frequently in those good positions so he has a chance at getting decent shots off. He has only taken 22 shots but has scored 18% of them which is better than any of our other players by some margin. Maupay for example is only scoring 11% if his shots so he would probably be doing a lot worse if he played for us. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think wes is too big for his own good. He is so big he doesn't get rewarded for small niggling fouls on him but when he does it back or just uses his strength it is instantly a foul. It is why he has fouled the 2nd most so far this year. He definitely needs to be more crafty with his strength but when he gets the ball to feet he is quite good at getting his body in the way and playing decent football provided the defender doesn't go through him which is never called for the foul.

He does well at getting into good positions in the box but we need to find him more frequently in those good positions so he has a chance at getting decent shots off. He has only taken 22 shots but has scored 18% of them which is better than any of our other players by some margin. Maupay for example is only scoring 11% if his shots so he would probably be doing a lot worse if he played for us. 

I agree.

Don't mind if the new striker isn't a big un (should we get one in). The likes of Craig Bellamy and David Speedie spring to mind.....even Defoe.....someone of that nature/stature would do me. A poacher....one who has that mystical sixth sense when it comes to the goal, even if they appear to be a greedy b*****d, which isn't a bad thing for scoring goals. 

Fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s always a risk buying a player from an average league. But surely the club will assess the player in isolation. His physical attributes, movement, ability on the ball etc.  

In terms of goals I think any striker that has hopes to move on needs to be averaging near a goal a game in that league.

That's the way I see it too.  We've clearly done a lot of homework over the players we've signed and they clearly look at the quality of the player, not the quality of the league they play in.  We've signed players from lower Ligue 1, the Championship, the champions of England, Belgium, other PL teams etc.  I don't see playing in Scotland to be a barrier if they feel the guy has the right attributes and will be decent value.

17 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Played 42 times in the premier league for Hull under Bruce, Missed a couple of months through injury the second season he was there & i would probably say that if he had been playing in March/April it may well have been us that went down that year instead of them.

Got 13 goals & 2 assists so a goal just over every 3 games but if you take his average playing time of 74 mins per game it works out at a goal every 2.6 full 90 minute games. Doesn't seem completely terrible for a 7 million quid striker they got half the money back for 18 months later

Yeah I had a look at his record after posting, his best run was actually straight after signing for Everton. From Feb 2012 to end of season he scored 10 goals so probably better than one in two.

Then next season think he scored 8 goals and yeah after that he barely was scoring for Everton and they sold him to Hull mid season. Again good start but was only o.k afterwards although as you say he did pick up an injury.

I guess that's the crux, 8-10 goals from another forward would keep us up I'm sure but I'm looking a bit more long term. To be competitive in next two years in top half we need someone with Benteke's scoring record for us. Of course not easy just to find one.