New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

Just have to hope we can keep ourselves from being in too much of a mess in January and go from there. It's vital we get the recruitment right. 

While we do need a new striker I'd say winger is my priority. Go out and find a quality wide player because my god we seriously need one. 

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We obviously need a striker and a winger. But I am gonna add a left back. Players like Taylor is how you get relegated. 

Don't understand why Hause is getting ignored in that position. Thought he looked composed there in some of the games he played there last season.

• Like 2

We need a quality winger for me.

What's a striker meant to do when midfield can't string together 3 passes and our wide men play him one quality ball to finish all game?

The jury is still out on big Wes but I don't believe he's had ample opportunity to settle in, same as Smith, same as everyone.

• Like 2

People were trumpeting his 1 in 2 ratio a few weeks ago.  What is it now? And let's face it 2 of those goals when he was 1 in 2 were in a single game against a dreadful Norwich. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mentioned Giroud elsewhere, can leave Chelsea for 5m in January. Of course lots of teams will be in for him and they won't all be fighting relegation.

Thoughts?

We aren't going to sign players like Giroud. We'll be looking to pick up players from abroad, lower leagues and reserves from the CL sides, players we can see a return on.

I'm also not he's the kind of player we'd want. We obviously wanted Maupay, and he's not in the same mould as Giroud.

I suspect there might be something in the links to the nutcase at Rangers.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

People were trumpeting his 1 in 2 ratio a few weeks ago.  What is it now? And let's face it 2 of those goals when he was 1 in 2 were in a single game against a dreadful Norwich. 

1 in 3

28 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

For me, Mitrovic would guarantee  Premier league for another season. He is a proven scorer at this level.

Didn't quite work for Fulham. (Or Newcastle)

Not that it was Mitrovic's fault but still. 11 in 37 is solid in such a poor team.

But he signed a new contract this summer and would cost at least £30m, probably closer to £40m.

And even thou I don't rate Wesley much yet i still feel the supply line is our bigger issue.

If we have £40-50m to spend I feel a quality winger on the right would be just as important as an additional striker. we need both.

The time to sign Mitrovic would have been in the summer before we signed Wesley. Hindsight and all that

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, sne said:

Didn't quite work for Fulham. (Or Newcastle)

Not that it was Mitrovic's fault but still. 11 in 37 is solid in such a poor team.

But he signed a new contract this summer and would cost at least £30m, probably closer to £40m.

And even thou I don't rate Wesley much yet i still feel the supply line is our bigger issue.

If we have £40-50m to spend I feel a quality winger on the right would be just as important as an additional striker. we need both.

The time to sign Mitrovic would have been in the summer before we signed Wesley. Hindsight and all that

if 30m is the going rate ,,so be it, 

what is the cost of dropping out the league?

the owners have proved they will spend,its about what villa need now, 

wes is not up to the job in this league, ds will back his to start scoring & risk it or he brings in a forward more proven .

very much like when we spent 24m on bent.its about what you need & value your spot in the prem league

I would be surprised if mitrovics new contract didn't have buy out or release clauses in there.

Our forward line is far too passive. Mitrovic is an aggressive player, we need a bit more aggression as trez el ghazi and wes dont challenge for headers, they turn their backs, mitrovic while no Duncan Ferguson is still far better in the air than any of our players (including mings).

Being able to cross into the box high or low and know there's a good chance our forward will be busting a gut to get on the end of it will make a nice change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I would be surprised if mitrovics new contract didn't have buy out or release clauses in there.

Our forward line is far too passive. Mitrovic is an aggressive player, we need a bit more aggression as trez el ghazi and wes dont challenge for headers, they turn their backs, mitrovic while no Duncan Ferguson is still far better in the air than any of our players (including mings).

Being able to cross into the box high or low and know there's a good chance our forward will be busting a gut to get on the end of it will make a nice change.

I'm a big fan of Mitro, he plays with passion and desire & I believe thats is contagious. He would give you some different options and is the type of player Grealish could play through balls to.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 16:00, KenjiOgiwara said:

We obviously need a striker and a winger. But I am gonna add a left back. Players like Taylor is how you get relegated. 

I think we need a striker winger hybrid and not 2 new players. 1 because I think a change in tactics would do both wes and el ghazi a world of good. I think we should play El ghazi like Liverpool play Salah. Keep him up top ready for the counter and have wesley drop deeper and cover. You could also rotate it so it keeps the defenders on their toes but I think mainly it will help wesley get on the ball more and will make us more dangerous on the counter attack with a good 1v1 finisher who is fast on their last man.

Edit: To be clear I think we need another midfielder especially one with good energy, strength and speed. The ideal player for this would be Van Der Beek but he is too expensive so maybe someone like Berge from Genk or Kessie from AC Milan could be interesting as they would make us more solid defensively, help us keep the ball and be a threat from set pieces which we are very weak at. Plus it means you can put luxury players on against tired defenses and they can use their skill to pick passes but won't be bullied off the ball because they aren't fast or strong enough. 

Edited by MotoMkali

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely agree MM. A player that could tick both boxes would be ideal. And especially one with pace to burn. A younger Henry would be lovely. 

Well no doubt getting an Henry esque player would be great but I'd settle for someone as good as hazard. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Well no doubt getting an Henry esque player would be great but I'd settle for someone as good as hazard. 

£50m will possibly get you Thorgan Hazard.

Perfect compromise :D