New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

I can see why we have the discussion about a new striker (even though it only is six months since we signed one).

First of all we need to be able to shake it up a little with a Maupay type striker to come off the bench either as a replacement or supplement.

I also think Wesley gets to much stick, the blokes around me seem to dislike him simply because of his mannerisms (I honestly how can a professional footballer be lazy - would Dean Smith even select him if he had this trait?)

For me his ability will shine through once he has settled down, but I agree that he hasn't set the world on fire yet and maybe some time coming off the bench would do him good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Total digression, but what happened to that central midfielder Coventry had last season who people talked about. Bayliss or something? 

Went to Preston for around £2.5mil. They are bedding him in slowly think he’s appeared or came on as sub in 3 games for Alex Neil in championship and couple starts in carabao cup fir Preston.

Alex Neil also bought Maddison from Coventry when he was at Norwich. Slowly bedded Maddison in too.

Neil seems do it with the younger players he buys.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

This is an absolute no brainer...... 

Aleksandr Mitrovic

Aggressive, potent, a real handful for defenders, great in the air, few better in any league at holding up the ball. Still only 25. 12 goals already this season. Make it happen. 

25 minutes ago, Boumasbabies said:

This is an absolute no brainer...... 

Aleksandr Mitrovic

Aggressive, potent, a real handful for defenders, great in the air, few better in any league at holding up the ball. Still only 25. 12 goals already this season. Make it happen. 

New contract at the start of the season.

Presume clause for £30m+?

I think we can do better for £30m, not that I think we will spend that money in total come Jan!

Be exciting if we did.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

New contract at the start of the season.

Presume clause for £30m+?

I think we can do better for £30m, not that I think we will spend that money in total come Jan!

Be exciting if we did.

Who do you think we could get for £30m that would be better? Genuine question I just look at what we got £22m and wonder?

I think Wesley is doing ok and gets some unfair criticism, also delighted he got a national team call up, albeit quite shocked. That's not to say we don't need someone else to compete with him, he's only young and it's his first season here and he's adapting his style to the league. Competition is always good at any club especially one with our ambitions and I also think our other options (Kodjia and Davis) are not going to score goals in this league.

Personally I think either Morelos or Mitrovic would provide good competition for Wes, I also think Batshuayi would and he's not getting a look in at Chelsea. A leftfield signing that hasn't been mentioned is Myron Boadu, he's a quick striker with an eye for goal, only 18 and just been called into the senior Dutch national team and is one of the top scorers in the Eredivisie. Huge talent, but probably on the radar of a lot of clubs. Osimhen at Lille is also killing it in his first season there and is only 20.

Only the club know who is on the radar, but there are plenty of quality players out there who would greatly improve our first team and squad. 

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have you written Wesley off already? I think he’s doing fine

No not at all, I'm hoping he will develop over time but I'm certainly not in the 'he's doing fine' club though maybe the 'he's doing OK' club. I don't think he's ready to lead the attack right now. I'd like to see a true goal scorer up front @VillaFaninLondon mentions four interesting names Morelos, Mitrovic, Batshuayi and Osimhen I would be happy with any of those 4, along with a back up striker like Bowen at Hull. I look at our defense and I'm happy with our starting 4 and what we can have on the bench, same with the midfield to some degree, but our forward line does worry me particularly the strength in depth. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

No not at all, I'm hoping he will develop over time but I'm certainly not in the 'he's doing fine' club though maybe the 'he's doing OK' club. I don't think he's ready to lead the attack right now. I'd like to see a true goal scorer up front @VillaFaninLondon mentions four interesting names Morelos, Mitrovic, Batshuayi and Osimhen I would be happy with any of those 4, along with a back up striker like Bowen at Hull. I look at our defense and I'm happy with our starting 4 and what we can have on the bench, same with the midfield to some degree, but our forward line does worry me particularly the strength in depth. 

Completely agree, he's doing alright, 4 goals and 1 assist in 11 games isn't terrible but not great either (particularly the assists part). Hopefully the call up for Brazil spurs him on today and gets a goal against Wolves. Either way he needs our support for now, particularly as he's our only option, but a striker in January should certainly be a priority. Hopefully we're willing to spend £20-30mil, as I think that's what we'll have to pay minimum for any of four players I mentioned.

Looking at the team, I think the central midfield area is strongest and the CBs and GK are good enough. I also think Konsa has very good potential and will play more over time. Imo, we are weakest in the wide areas and up front and priorities for the next 2-3 transfer windows should be:

• Two new full backs to provide serious competition for Guilbert and Targett and Taylor and Elmo to be moved on
  • At least one new winger to compete with AEG and Trezeguet
  • A top quality striker
  • Like 2

Came to see what people thought about him being called up to the Brazil squad.

But all I'm seeing is the same circular arguments.

Rate him or not, I can't understand how it seems some fans are almost annoyed about the call up.

Should only be a positive surely?

EDIT: WRONG THREAD

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Who do you think we could get for £30m that would be better? Genuine question I just look at what we got £22m and wonder?

I think we'd have to go higher than 30 mill to get anything better than Wesley standards. Consider the goals he's scored at the moment and forget his he's scored them, goal are goal right?? Well he's still up there with some lads where clubs have paid alot more than 22mill for like we did Wes right?. It looks like we got an absoloute bargain really doesn't it.

I think we're talking about our first real mager hitter coming in that will cost us a fortune, a fortune we've never paid before and we will pay it for a few reasons. One-of which is we need more goals up front. Two- Wes needs competition, there's no point getting someone whos not better than Wes, Wes needs to learn from. Three- we need someone who guarentees goals, so aftet Wes has learnt he then can be do it  for a profit, only way we do that is by buying better. Four-we are after someone very specific here, someone who holds up play, bullys defenders, is fast, uses his brain, and scores goals at least one-two every two games. Five- we so need this striker to play to our strengths, were having a difficult time feeding Wes despite his goals and that's partly because Wes was used to playing a certain way in the league he came from, we will now need someone who guarenteed adjustment without thought, it's not easy to come by.  Really were now after the perfect answer to the puzzle, it's like asking batman to solve every crime in the world, it's finding that pin in a universe. The more we are playing a certain way the more were refining ourselves to finding certain players and that comes with cost in today's football world, we are now needing the best of the best.

We need to be prepared to break bank to find what we are looking for, that is the bottom line.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

We need to be prepared to break bank to find what we are looking for, that is the bottom line.

That's not going to happen, the noises from the club are that we buy young players we can improve, give exposure to and then if necessary sell on for a profit. We are reluctant to 'overpay' (which is objective really) for players, unless it's absolutely necessary. Mings arguably, and justifiably was a case in point, we needed him, but actually the fee we paid for him, now and England international, wasn't ridiculous. 

If we establish ourselves as a Premier League club with the above stated successful philosophy, then don't you worry, we will be able to beat rivals and even in some cases top teams to these sorts of players. 

Douglas Luiz and Wesley are good examples. Neither are likely to get a senior international call up without the exposure we have given them, and obviously their positive performances for us.

Given that we've invested heavily in the squad in the summer, I can't see us making one big signing in January. It'll be more of the same. Which to be honest, based on what I've seen so far would be superb. 

Another point is that the competition for the top dollar, ready made, low risk but high cost players is ridiculous. We can't compete in that market, we've only just been promoted. 

After the pain of Ross McCormack, Micah Richards et al. I am more than happy to back our current approach. 

• Like 1