New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Rubbish. Good hold up play is a skill which lots of strikers lack. Miles away from praising throw ins. (It was in response to someone questioning whether Wesley had any of the basic skills in his locker, anyway.)

Wesley's hold up play is very good, but he is getting a really rough deal from referees for some reason. I don't know if it's his body language or the way he speaks to them, or if he isn't being sly enough. But when he works out how to get the referees on side he will be a menace.

Why do we have to be "better in so many aspects of our game" to avoid relegation when we're already on track to avoid relegation? Surely any improvement in our play will see us pushing up towards mid table?

Every time I've spoken to a fan of another team we've played, they all think we will comfortably stay up. I don't want to get complacent or tempt fate, but I tend to agree that on current form we're good for a 14th or 15th place finish, even without a new striker in January.

Yeah, I agree. Especially the game last saturday was ridiculous.. I saw at least 4 or 5 no-calls that didn't go in Wes' favor.

I wouldn't mind bringing in a pacier striker to harass teams on the counter attack. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Rubbish. Good hold up play is a skill which lots of strikers lack. Miles away from praising throw ins. (It was in response to someone questioning whether Wesley had any of the basic skills in his locker, anyway.)

Wesley's hold up play is very good, but he is getting a really rough deal from referees for some reason. I don't know if it's his body language or the way he speaks to them, or if he isn't being sly enough. But when he works out how to get the referees on side he will be a menace.

Why do we have to be "better in so many aspects of our game" to avoid relegation when we're already on track to avoid relegation? Surely any improvement in our play will see us pushing up towards mid table?

Every time I've spoken to a fan of another team we've played, they all think we will comfortably stay up. I don't want to get complacent or tempt fate, but I tend to agree that on current form we're good for a 14th or 15th place finish, even without a new striker in January.

Equally, lots of strikers CAN hold the ball up,its fundamental to the type of striker we are referring to.

We currently concede 44% of our goals in the last 10 minutes as opposed to us scoring 19% in the last 10 minutes.....I say much improvement to turn good play in to points....some tightening up to do.

but yeah.....I think we will do it.

Edited by TRO

On 02/11/2019 at 07:39, alexvilla4 said:

If we sell Kodjia in Jan which I am all for, and replace him with a wide forward that can also play up front and have approx £20m to spend which of the below would you go for?

Ollie Watkins - Brentford man in red hot form. Playing more as a striker than a wide forward currently. Interest from Sheff Utd. 

Demarai Gray - playing limited minutes for Leicester. Used to play for the Blues. Very quick and skillful. End product struggles sometimes. Still young enough to improve with the right coaching 

Gerard Deleufeu - not playing much at Watford and may want out if they are still bottom at xmas. Very skilful and can be a match winner. Comfortable in any front 3 position

Jared Bowen - contract expires in the summer. Plays up front or inside right. Storming the championship. Left footed. Interest from Newcaslte and Sputhanpton. 

Said Benrahma - more of a wide playmaker similar to Jack  than inside forward or a striker. Very talented and skilful. 

Nathan Redmond - Would jump at the move I imagine. May not be available for 20m. Can play all across the front 3 and proven in the prem

I still would like us to sign Bowen, before someone else does. I heard that clown Ken, who telephones Radio WM so often, suggest that the Noses go for him a few days ago. As if they could afford him and is if he would consider joining them. :D A couple of other interesting names above as well. 

Edited by John

On 01/11/2019 at 02:57, TRO said:

but he doesn't.

The numbers may suggest that, but he doesn't in reality.

If in ten games you score 3 lots of 2 giving you an accrual of 6 goals in the first 3 games thats a goal ratio of a goal in every 1.66 games....fantastic.

The reality is you haven't scored for 7 games.....That is failing to finish all that good work.....for me, that is the central issue.

A goal a game or a goal every 2 games needs to be literally not statistically.

I haven't got the exact numbers to hand, but Andy Gray, Peter Withe and Gabby Agbonlahor wasn't too far away from each other in goals scored for Villa...... but 2 were prolific and one was hit and miss and went many, many games without scoring.

We need a goal scorer who can change a game, not tick a box.....our good play at times needs an end product from a player who can seize the moment and FINISH.

The reason why players like Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry were so revered, was because they could score in most games.....The could score crucially when the team wanted one, more of less.

However, I have not written him off.....but I think the winger issue is most relevant.

Well, personally TRO we are having two separate discussions as far as I can see.

Just to get the nitpicking out of the way, numbers are a part of 'reality' and can represent as well as help identify aspects of whatever is being evaluated.

Just  because he is not literally scoring one goal for every two games played, doesn't make his contribution redundant.

I could be missing the mark, but I feel like what you've mainly highlighted is that I haven't written my statement well enough in a literal sense.

That's not Wes' problem.

On 03/11/2019 at 16:11, TRO said:

No one is ever going to overlook talent.....but talent alone without application is not complete.

you only have to look at Vardy and our own Andy Gray.

You need a player with talent yes.......but the "Eye of the Tiger" too.

47 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Well, personally TRO we are having two separate discussions as far as I can see.

Just to get the nitpicking out of the way, numbers are a part of 'reality' and can represent as well as help identify aspects of whatever is being evaluated.

Just  because he is not literally scoring one goal for every two games played, doesn't make his contribution redundant.

I could be missing the mark, but I feel like what you've mainly highlighted is that I haven't written my statement well enough in a literal sense.

That's not Wes' problem.

I think you are missing the mark.....If you score a goal a game its reality......if you score 38 goals, but not every game, that's statistically or mathematically a goal a game only....sorry, i can't make my point any simpler.

Goals at any time are valuable, granted.

when goals are scored like Robertson and Mane they are crucial....players like that get them when you need them, its the holy grail.

I thought i had made my point in my explanation, but maybe I didn't explain it well enough.

Goals are the conduit.....its points we all really want.

I am not saying it anyone's fault.....just saying the very best get you a goal when you most need one.....that's the evaluation of great strikers for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are missing the mark.....If you score a goal a game its reality......if you score 38 goals, but not every game, that's statistically or mathematically a goal a game only....sorry, i can't make my point any simpler.

Goals at any time are valuable, granted.

when goals are scored like Robertson and Mane they are crucial....players like that get them when you need them, its the holy grail.

I thought i had made my point in my explanation, but maybe I didn't explain it well enough.

Goals are the conduit.....its points we all really want.

I am not saying it anyone's fault.....just saying the very best get you a goal when you most need one.....that's the evaluation of great strikers for me.

I think you've done a good job at explaining yourself throughout, I perhaps didn't absorb the message as well as I could before replying.

I didn't want to ignore your post but was also preoccupied organising people for a basketball tournament and explaining the ins and outs to them when I made that post.

All that aside, I'm still not sure my post did miss the mark. I would of given up Benteke any day for a team that brought us greater success on a whole.

And this is where my confusion lies and I wonder if we are talking at each other rather than with, I am not disputing a striker who ultimately wins games is what we want.

All I'm saying is that as long as the team is creating and executing well enough, and the striker employed contributes adequately to that, I could care less how much glory he takes.

If you want a striker who's goals come at a time that give this team glory in any given match, that's fine. If you want one that scores consistently every game, so does everyone else.

I think Van Nistelrooy, or someone of notable achievement, said, "Goals are like a bottle of ketchup, nothing comes no matter how hard you try, and then it all comes at once"

Something to that effect.

Anyway, I'm not a huge Wes fan, I just don't buy into the idea that he is a weak link just yet. Nor that he is occupying the position we need most improvement in.

On 02/11/2019 at 20:39, alexvilla4 said:

Nathan Redmond - Would jump at the move I imagine. May not be available for 20m. Can play all across the front 3 and proven in the prem

Ardent Blue nose that flashed Zulu hand symbol in goal celebration against Wolves not long ago? He's cheap in fantasy every season because his record is absolute dogshit. This is the kind of rubbish signing from the past that led to relegation

• Like 2

Think I've mentioned him before but Takumi Minamino would be so perfect for us.

18 months on his contract in January. Salzburg likely to be out the Champions League by then. 

I'm sure the owners would be up for the far Eastern coverage that would be generated as well as him being a great player.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 01:33, KentVillan said:

Wesley's hold up play is very good

It really isn't and that's obvious to anyone. 

He might get there, but saying he's good at it now is just taking the piss. Genuinly makes me wonder if you have seen strikers that are good at it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/11/2019 at 05:25, John said:

I still would like us to sign Bowen, before someone else does. I heard that clown Ken, who telephones Radio WM so often, suggest that the Noses go for him a few days ago. As if they could afford him and is if he would consider joining them. :D A couple of other interesting names above as well. 

Was surprised that Bowen wasn't picked up in the Summer by a Premier league club. He appears to have all the skills needed to play in the prem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Think I've mentioned him before but Takumi Minamino would be so perfect for us.

18 months on his contract in January. Salzburg likely to be out the Champions League by then. 

I'm sure the owners would be up for the far Eastern coverage that would be generated as well as him being a great player.

Minamino is a fine player!

Hwang Hee-Chan and Masaya Okugawa both also from RB Salzburg would be worth looking at too.

Edited by Villan4Life

I like the look of that Hwang too. We need someone of that mould full of industry and endeavour. Looks to have plenty of quality too. Someone will soon take a punt on Erling Haaland too, why not us, even if he is a dirty Leeds fan. Minamino would be a quality signing. They have a lot of interesting players at Salzburg.

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I like the look of that Hwang too. We need someone of that mould full of industry and endeavour. Looks to have plenty of quality too. Someone will soon take a punt on Erling Haaland too, why not us, even if he is a dirty Leeds fan. Minamino would be a quality signing. They have a lot of interesting players at Salzburg.

Haaland is being rumoured for 60/70 million at the moment. Won't be us