New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

Clickbait reports we have over £20mill earmarked for a new striker in January ... I was told in the summer we were interested in Jean Phillipe Mateta from Mainz but then he tore his meniscus... one is desperately needed but I can’t see us bringing one in for the sake of it if the deal isn’t right . 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2019 at 10:31, brummybloke said:

In january ? Or do you think we can hold out until summer ? 

jan...unless there's any half decent free transfers out there, in which case could do with someone now

• Like 1

On 19/09/2019 at 13:26, Davkaus said:

We're currently a minor injury or illness away from having to start Keinan Davis up front against arsenal. Another option is essential at the earliest opportunity, imo. 

We could always recall Scott Hogan if the need arises

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

If we’re still in touching distance of surviving, then I would definitely buy a proper striker as well as a pacey winger. 

Anyone we could get on Loan? 

Jeez. Still in touching distance of surviving?! I can’t see us being adrift and rock bottom at all. We will spend most the season flirting around the relegation spots most likely, but not a chance we’re going to be relegated by Christmas again! 

As for a forward. Definitely need an addition up there. Ideally I’d like to see a completely different type of forward to Wesley for variation. 

• Like 1

We need to smash our transfer record on a proven goal scorer at the highest level. Can't afford another player for this vital position who may or may not be a good siggning of course there are no guarantees but we need to be as sure as possible that the striker we bring in is going to be someone capable of getting us the goals that help us stay in the top flight.

• Like 3

I think the question shall be not whether we need a new forward or not, but the level of quality forward that we need. If none of Wesley, Davis and Kodjia have hit goalscoring form by then, then we might have to go all out and pay £60m plus for a proven goal-scorer, but if they do okay between now and January, we could still do with signing someone but might not have to go so big, it will be more of a case of bringing in an extra option.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think the question shall be not whether we need a new forward or not, but the level of quality forward that we need. If none of Wesley, Davis and Kodjia have hit goalscoring form by then, then we might have to go all out and pay £60m plus for a proven goal-scorer, but if they do okay between now and January, we could still do with signing someone but might not have to go so big, it will be more of a case of bringing in an extra option.

Thing is, a £60M striker in Jan is really a £40M player. Would be better to scavenge a Loan

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

If we’re still in touching distance of surviving, then I would definitely buy a proper striker as well as a pacey winger. 

Anyone we could get on Loan? 

Loan wise someone like Dwight Gale, Benteke or Bowen from Hull with an agreed fee at the end of their loan periods, might be worth considering. I'm sure there will be several others that we would be able to look at in January. We do need cover and another option to use from the bench in the New Year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd look for someone a little out of favour abroad who has good goalscoring record, there's usually plenty around and with international tournament coming up always more transfers happening.

Could always just do a loan first with that sort of deal.

Sure we can get Real Madrid to loan us Mariano Diaz :)

20 hours ago, thabucks said:

Clickbait reports we have over £20mill earmarked for a new striker in January ... I was told in the summer we were interested in Jean Phillipe Mateta from Mainz but then he tore his meniscus... one is desperately needed but I can’t see us bringing one in for the sake of it if the deal isn’t right . 

Interesting. Hadn't seen that name before at all. Just had look at his record. Last season scored 15 goals in Bundesliga (they only played 34 games there so pretty much one in two) and also scored for France under 21s in the summer tournament.

Shame about the injury, I suppose with it being serious he's unlikely to be fit for January. Fits the profile we seem to be after these days.

Just now, sne said:

Sure we can get Real Madrid to loan us Mariano Diaz :)

Was thinking more Jovic if he dosen't get in ahead of Benzema.....

Probably a little above what we could attract but there's always good strikers not playing somewhere. Maxi Gomez for example only on the bench for Valencia in most games so far. Carlos Bacca only on bench for Villareal these days etc.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd look for someone a little out of favour abroad who has good goalscoring record, there's usually plenty around and with international tournament coming up always more transfers happening.

Agreed, 100%. Before a major international tournament, players will want to be playing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

We need to smash our transfer record on a proven goal scorer at the highest level. Can't afford another player for this vital position who may or may not be a good siggning of course there are no guarantees but we need to be as sure as possible that the striker we bring in is going to be someone capable of getting us the goals that help us stay in the top flight.

Agreed as look at Bent we buy him expensive sign in Jan and he save us stay up but in end waste money and no profit 18 millions go bins only 1 half season he is did great maybe 2 season if I count first 2 season, he good at it and rest of his career not good enough..

Don't want go throught these again ... 

4 hours ago, John said:

Loan wise someone like Dwight Gale, Benteke or Bowen from Hull with an agreed fee at the end of their loan periods, might be worth considering. I'm sure there will be several others that we would be able to look at in January. We do need cover and another option to use from the bench in the New Year.

That is wise move I agree with this strategy but only problem is ... Benteke wage is crazy and they will throw crazy price for him move out.. would love him back he is my favourite forward last 5 years. 

Personally we should go Bowen to buy or other players too

so if fail Bowen will help get up next season, or we stay up premiership with his help and benteke loan will make sense move for us and pay his crazy wage and hope lower sell to me to help crystal palace cut money to add transfer use his wage 100-125k per week to end of season around estimate 3 millions add transfer for them to buy players.

Gales? No thanks but he could be our Robbie Keane - performance Jan to end of season.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wise move as 2020 euro is come up and someone no playing as first team with Great player in past and want back in for international so fuel Thier desired to play to prove nation to call him up or same as forward who sit bench Want player regular would make force to move with loan to buy options so win for us and club to get profit and less wage bills and chance to buy money in summer rather waste never player no increase money fee will down if they don't call international for fringe or bench players.

As someone point to benteke he would feel want this chances as he great form under villa shirt.

That's what I was thinking we might need a Bent type signing and with  inflation you'd probably be looking at £40m plus at least, unless we can find a good loan option. Hopefully would prove to be a better long term option this time though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

That's what I was thinking we might need a Bent type signing and with  inflation you'd probably be looking at £40m plus at least, unless we can find a good loan option. Hopefully would prove to be a better long term option this time though.

@useless Gosh if we did bent solutions and we spent 40 millions save up and all these money that bin **** that but save up might worth risk to gear smith second phase to make strong team and consistent, stability so win win situation but only if we got balls to do bent all over..

eithier worse Hogan or McCormack solutions and we go down

If we got 40 millions striker young players with can perform best all the games and save up and top 6 for next 3 season so I will happy with these might worth risk and sell some money back even might profit so that is ideally.

But loan with right to buy is better option, don't want mings all over again so I occur this.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84