Broadband Providers

Rodders

6 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Has anyone here got a FTTP connection in their home? What I mean is a direct fibre from the street terminating in the house. Speeds, from 100-900meg from whichever ISP you go with.

My Plusnet contract has less that 2 months to go and I refuse to keep paying £28/mth for crap over copper lines. I see Vodafone and TalkTalk offering the cheapest "Ultrafast" products at the moment, just wondering if anyone had experience of either company or any other FTTP ISP?

I have 200mb vodafone broadband and it’s excellent. Hasn’t missed a beat in 3 months and really strong connection all around the house. 

I pay £30 a month but did get a £150 Amazon voucher when I took it out.

Long story but I also have Virgin 200mb which is pretty shit. Flakey speeds and the signal is crap in the corners of the house.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 24/06/2021 at 21:22, Davkaus said:

Virgin is bloody good when it works, but when it doesn't, they're absolutely **** useless. I used to live in a student area, heavily subscribed and it just wasn't worth it. I'm back with them now I've moved and it's grand, 6 years with no downtime at all.

In student areas, they're completely milking the infrastructure and taking as many people who will pay as they can. Additionally, all these years later, it's still a hodge-podge of disparate infrastructure put together by the various companies that were bought out over the years. It's a crapshoot really.

Cant agree more with this. (What we agree on something  😉) virgin is great when it works bug when you have  aproblem game over. Their c/s ia absolutely absymal. My contracts up and its going from £32 a month to over £70 so now have to do the dreadful phone call to try cancel. Am expecting hours of being passed around, and annoying music. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant agree more with this. (What we agree on something  😉) virgin is great when it works bug when you have  aproblem game over. Their c/s ia absolutely absymal. My contracts up and its going from £32 a month to over £70 so now have to do the dreadful phone call to try cancel. Am expecting hours of being passed around, and annoying music. 

I do this dance every year, go straight through to cancellations, and you'll be on and off the phone in 10-15 minutes going by my experience.

Apparently you can get a better deal by just refusing all offers and waiting for a call back, but I usually just haggle get the best price I can on the phone and settle for that so I'm not risking missing their call and getting cut off!

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I do this dance every year, go straight through to cancellations, and you'll be on and off the phone in 10-15 minutes going by my experience.

Apparently you can get a better deal by just refusing all offers and waiting for a call back, but I usually just haggle get the best price I can on the phone and settle for that so I'm not risking missing their call and getting cut off!

Yeah its probably my least favourite time of the year as gonna be on phone for stupid amounts of time. Ill see what they offer. Ideally i can get a deal as i cant be asked to cancel at the mo as git a lot of shit going on . Will let u know how i get on

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of nowhere and we only get Internet through a phone connection, Plusnet will be up in a couple of months so is there any company out there that DOESN'T increase prices half way through the contract?

• 2 months later...
On 16/08/2022 at 15:53, rjw63 said:

I'm in the middle of nowhere and we only get Internet through a phone connection, Plusnet will be up in a couple of months so is there any company out there that DOESN'T increase prices half way through the contract?

Have you tried Airband? They do broadband for folk that live in the weeds

23 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Have you tried Airband? They do broadband for folk that live in the weeds

I ended up staying with Plusnet as they dropped the price by nine quid per month

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Little bump on this thread.

Just upgraded from Sky Superfast to Ultrafast. Installation due in a couple of weeks. Been a customer for 4 years and never really had a problem with Sky, only issue was the signal dropping out in the bedroom located the furthest away from the router (but an extender fixed this).

Does anyone else have Ultrafast? just wondering if the router range is better with it or will I have to make do with the extender or move the router to a more centralised location (which will be a pain in the back side).

We didn't have many problems with Plusnet, but the urban startup Community Fibre flyered us just as we were thinking to move on from our copper connection.

If they decide to expand into Birmingham and you get a notification on your doorstep? They're well worth a look, as it stands they trounce the opposition.

The only caveat so far has been we can't ring abroad on the house phone anymore. The trade off being calls to uk numbers and mobiles are free.

• 10 months later...

Bump;

Here we are at the end of contract game time again.

Currently with Sky Ultrafast paying £32pm, end of contract time they are putting it up to £43 !! but they're kindly giving me a £5pm discount bringing it to £38pm 🤣

So, i've looked around at whats on offer with other companies and with Sly.

A new Sky customer going through comparision sites can get Ultrafast (145mbps) for £29pm with a £80 gift card or Ultrafast Plus (500mbps) for £35pm with £110 cashback from Top Cashback

Or Vodafone 500 for £30pm

Loyalty counts for nothing and i hate it that every time i have to go through the rigmarole of cancelling etc etc just to try to get a decent deal.

It's about time that this practice was put a stop to. I know they have to offer you the best deal when it's end of contract time, but the reality is they don't.

@Genie do you still have Vodafone and have you been happy with it overall? I'm tempted to go with them but the reviews i've seen are not very favourable, in particular the customer service side. 

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

I've been with this crowd https://www.giganet.uk for over a year with a 300mbps connection over FTTP.  I can fully recommend them.

I have 1GB from https://zzoomm.com/ no issues in this first few months. One 5 minute outage which they gave me a weeks notice about.

I know a couple of people with King Grifter's Starlink and they are happy with that too.

I stuck with Virgin again for another 18 months, Volted 350mb, reliability has improved recently but I still had to call them to get a better deal as they were trying to charge me £50, eventually got it down to £35. The speeds of the others in my area don't come close to that. There is a new provider coming to the area soon so may try them in 18 months.

I am at the end of my Sky contract for BB and TV. Have read you have to cancel and contract finished before you can argue for another contract on decent terms. I will see what I get offered tomorrow or I will serve notice

13 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I am at the end of my Sky contract for BB and TV. Have read you have to cancel and contract finished before you can argue for another contract on decent terms. I will see what I get offered tomorrow or I will serve notice

I served notice on Sky BB and three days later they sent me an email asking me to call them, they are offering me Ultrafast for £31pm which is a £1 lower than i'm paying now.

I'm still waiting for a better deal. If you look at the new customer deals they are really good. Thats what i'm after. I will wait for them to call me. If they do fine, if not it's adios Sky hello Voda. 

Â