Pre -Match Thread

maqroll

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

So is our attack though!

If our palace goal had stood we would be joint 13th with goals scored and also have scored in 4 out of our 5 opening games. 

We are 13th for shots and 10th for shots on target.  

A lot of room for improvement but for a newly promoted team I think shocking is a big harsh.

• Like 1

I think Arsenal struggle against physical teams - both those that throw their weight around and those that are based around athleticism. That ain't us; we're a footballing side. I think we've defended well this season, but I think we might be in for a tricky time here - I'm really struggling to see anything but a defeat, and it might be a big one.

I hope i'm wrong.

• Like 4

Was there in 2008 and 2013 when we beat them. I didn't particularly rate him but on both occasions Gabby was superb in those games. Completely tore their defence apart with his pace.

They are atrocious at the back but our front three looks dire at the moment, would expect to see Jota dropped for Trezeguet but otherwise think he'll stick with the same team. Don't get people saying drop Wesley for Davis, for one thing we're only 5 games into the season and for another Davis is not the answer. Hold up play is no better than Wesley and he could barely score in the Championship so he's not going to be capable in this league. If we get to Christmas and Wesley still hasn't improved, then we'll need to sign someone in January but right now we haven't really got anyone capable of replacing him in the team. 

We need to try to blitz them on the break to get a result, but even if we lose I don't expect a hammering - Spurs imo are better and we nearly got a result there but for some bad mistakes. Missing Lacazette for them takes away a major threat too but I'm wary Pepe hasn't done anything yet so knowing our luck he'll probably have a blinder against us. Their defence and central midfield isn't great so we need to have a go at them when we have the ball and put them under pressure.

• Like 1

Don’t think this will happen, but would love to see the side below.  4-2-3-1, with our full backs pushing forward as much as possible, almost playing as wingers:

---------------------------------Wesley----------------------------------

-------Hourihane———Grealish———-McGinn--------

--------------------- Luiz --------- Marvelous --------------------

Targett ----------- Mings ----- Engels ----------- Guilbert

------------------------------- Heaton ---------------------------------

Going to be tough this game, but feel we can get a point.  1-1

• Like 3

I'd start

Heaton

Elmo---Mings---Engels---Guilbert

Luiz---Nakamba---McGinn

Trezeguet---Wesley---Grealish

Would love to get an earlyish goal here, as I think it could be crucial, and would hope that wouldn't mean we just sat back.

I'll say 2-0 Villa with a dogged defensive display. :flag: 

• Like 1

Yeah I agree @8pints 

We seem to be blessed with central midfield options but lacking quality out wide, so need to shift Grealish for the good of the team. 

El Ghazi is not a premier league player, Jota and Trez still early days but not looking too good at the moment. Grealish will add a bit of quality to one side at least.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 8pints said:

I'd start

Heaton

Elmo---Mings---Engels---Guilbert

Luiz---Nakamba---McGinn

Trezeguet---Wesley---Grealish

Would love to get an earlyish goal here, as I think it could be crucial, and would hope that wouldn't mean we just sat back.

I'll say 2-0 Villa with a dogged defensive display. :flag: 

Definitely this team for me.  Just a couple of tweaks so not a massive panic change but enough to get Jack further forward with more options to his left than with Taylor at left back.  Gets the Elmo-Trez combo back on the right side as well.  Still could get stuffed, mind you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Don’t think this will happen, but would love to see the side below.  4-2-3-1, with our full backs pushing forward as much as possible, almost playing as wingers:

---------------------------------Wesley----------------------------------

-------Hourihane———Grealish———-McGinn--------

--------------------- Luiz --------- Marvelous --------------------

Targett ----------- Mings ----- Engels ----------- Guilbert

------------------------------- Heaton ---------------------------------

Going to be tough this game, but feel we can get a point.  1-1

That's the team I would like to see at some point, but like you said it wont happen Sunday and I can see why Smith wont go changing formations just yet, we're competing ok but obviously can improve. I think the team (or even formation) above would be worth trying at Brighton in the cup. I think we would be able to get Jack and John further up the pitch and press higher, giving more support to big Wes.

Anyway, Sunday, I think same team as the West Ham game but with Trez coming in for Jota. I would be shocked if we got anything from the game but usually I am wrong so fingers crossed.

Head says 3 - 1

Heart says 1 - 2 

Arsenal aren't a great team at the moment and are there for the taking however I dont think we are strong enough to do anything about it. I hope I'm wrong and we get something but I just cant shake off the feeling that we are going to get a tonking.