Pre -Match Thread

maqroll

Obviously you'd assume this is a defeat.  I will find it interesting though.  Our defence is rock solid and their only proper threat so far has been Aubameyang.  Obviously if you're looking to break a duck, you traditionally play Villa, so enter Pépé stage right.  If the lads at the back can handle Auba then fingers crossed the midfield can continue on their upward trajectory, and Wesley can be one game closer to full acclimatisation.  Arsenal are good but they're not to be feared, as Watford proved last weekend.  The extra Thursday game will give us a slight advantage.  If one thing's for sure, it's that Emery takes the Arsenal Cup very seriously.  I'll predict a 2-0 but I'm hoping for a shock 0-1.

• Like 1

Some very early; and therefore largely useless; statistical observations so far this season.

All of our points have been won on TV.  3 games 4 pts.

Our first half record in games has us on 8pts and our second half record sees us on 7pts.  Both together combine for 4pts.  So we need to string some halves together.  We've yet to win any points by out-possessing an opponent.  Only the Bournemouth game had >50% possession and that's because they sat on a 2-0 gift.  So far this season we've conceded first on 2 occasions and lost both games.  We've scored first on 2 occasions and won 1 lost 1.  No-one yet has 2 goals or 2 assists this season.  McGinn has one of each.

• Like 2

Their problem is defence. Ours is that our attack is too impotent to even exploit that defence at the moment. Their strength is in attack while ours is in defence. It'll be an interesting battle to see which attack/defence comes out on top. 

I think we should set up the way we did against Spurs and hope we can make our chances count. Trezeguet really needs to find his shooting boots on Sunday. We can't afford to have him wasting chances like that anymore.

I'm surprised some are predicting a pummeling for us. Haven't we got the 3rd best defensive record in the league or something like that?

Arsenal look powder puff more than usual. They have no fight, don't seem to know their jobs and certainly don't work hard for each other. Every Arsenal fan I know wants Emery gone. I think we could do 'em if Dean gets the front 6 right and we click. 

& Side Show Bob plays at CB for them FFS!

If we are going to get anything from this one we need to get at their centre backs. Luiz is a pen waiting to happen and Mustafi has no pace. On top of the Guendouzi is easily flustered on the ball and can be got at too. 

On the other hand Auba and Pepe have bags of pace and the likes to Ozil and Maitland-Niles can pick a pass. 

I think going there and trying to defend is the wrong approach and plays to their strenghts. We need to go with a offensive plan if we want to get anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

If we are going to get anything from this one we need to get at their centre backs. Luiz is a pen waiting to happen and Mustafi has no pace. On top of the Guendouzi is easily flustered on the ball and can be got at too. 

On the other hand Auba and Pepe have bags of pace and the likes to Ozil and Maitland-Niles can pick a pass. 

I think going there and trying to defend is the wrong approach and plays to their strenghts. We need to go with a offensive plan if we want to get anything. 

Spurs first half is how we need to play. Solid but quick on the break.

On 18/09/2019 at 14:29, villa89 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see El Ghazi dropped for Elmo for this to try to make us more solid defensively. Keep it tight for 60 minutes and see how it goes. 

We wont stay up if we don't score goals, these games are free punts, we need to take a leaf out of Norwichs book and just go out and play.

One thing I have noticed is how defensive we have been so far in all our games, trying to play on the break, except where we were already losing and other teams shut up shop.

Personally I think we seem to lack confidence to be ourselves, where Norwich seem to comfortabley be themselves for example.

What happened to Deano and Purslow saying we will play an exciting and attacking brand of football come hell or high water?

Not knocking them, But that is what they said, and what we haven't done.

Edited by MaVilla

On 18/09/2019 at 12:40, BOF said:

Obviously you'd assume this is a defeat.  I will find it interesting though.  Our defence is rock solid and their only proper threat so far has been Aubameyang.  Obviously if you're looking to break a duck, you traditionally play Villa, so enter Pépé stage right.  If the lads at the back can handle Auba then fingers crossed the midfield can continue on their upward trajectory, and Wesley can be one game closer to full acclimatisation.  Arsenal are good but they're not to be feared, as Watford proved last weekend.  The extra Thursday game will give us a slight advantage.  If one thing's for sure, it's that Emery takes the Arsenal Cup very seriously.  I'll predict a 2-0 but I'm hoping for a shock 0-1.

Don't you mean the Emery cup ?

Let's hope their 3-0 win at Frankfurt will take it's toll on Arsenal on Sunday, rather than give their confidence a boost as seems more likely. This is a bit of a free hit for us in my opinion. We are not expected to get anything from this game, so coming back with anything will be a real bonus and a confidence booster.

We last won at Arsenal (3-1) in 2013, since then we have lost there 5-0 and 4-0. Overall we have won 61 and have drawn 39 of the 174 league games that there have been between the two clubs. 

Three points would bring us within a point of Arsenal.  It would also give us some sort of revenge for that embarrassing FA Cup final defeat in 2015. I would be more than happy with a point, but a win would be even better. We won there in 2013, 2011 and in 2008, so winning there is not unheard of for Villa. Just do it for us again Villa!  

• Like 3

In the Premier League era we're 8W-14D-26L against Arsenal scoring 0.83 goals per game and conceding 1.77. Earning an average of 0.79 points per game.

At the Emirates we're 3W-2D-5L scoring an average of 1 goal per game and conceding 2.1 (As @John said we've conceded 9 goals in our last two games there). Earning an average of 1.1 points per game.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 15:44, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anything at Emirates is a bonus. Hopefully we can a play like we did for the first half against Spurs.

Keep Cabella and Aubemeyang quiet and I don’t think they even that special. Pepe looks good but is raw. 

Their defence is shocking. 

So is our attack though!

• Sad 1